Black Spirituality Religion : Basic facts of Vodoun for the Afrikan Diaspora

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Sekhemu, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Courtesy of MamiWata

1. Vodoun at its cosmological core is an ANCESTRAL RELIGION, meaning that the Afrikan Diaspora have a very special relationship with the Vodoun deities because they are BORN to them, and he deities are passed down through their own bloodlines. This holy covenant was made between our ancestors and Gods/Goddesses more than 10,000 years ago, through birth inheritance and ethnic lineage affiliation. Contrary to anthropological and pro-slavery myth, the advent of slavery DID NOT remove them from our bloodlines. In truth, the Diaspora are MORE connected to vodoun because of the legacy of slavery,(I'll elaborate on this in a seperate thread) which follows an ancient history dating back as far as the 6th C.E.

In West Africa, all major songs, and celebrations are dominated by the Vodoun deities and Tchamba ancestral spirits who were lost to slavery in the new world. They know that as long as those in the Diaspora remain lost to their own religious culture, their ancestors and deities will continue to suffer in the new world.

2. The Vodoun deities born to the African-American diaspora did not originate in Haiti. They came directly in their blood from their own ethnic lineages from which their ancestors descend in West Africa.

3. Vodoun religion in Haiti is Not an African-American religion, and is not the originator of the Vodoun religion in America. Though similar, their Vodoun spirits are unique to their specific families and the ethnic lineages who were brought over and enslaved in Haiti. Lineages that may be different from those African lineages brought over and enslaved in the U.S.

The Vodoun religion ancestrally, cosmologically, theologically, philosophically and ritually is not the next progressive step from Satanism, Theleme, Wicca, paganism, or any other western 'magical' paths.

4. It is not a prerequisite to speak an African language or to be BORN IN AFRICA, to be BORN with ones personal/family deities. All languages descend from Africa. Africans have been migrating and erecting kingdoms outside of Africa with their deities for thousands of years, and the Vodoun speaks the language of their children wherever they might reside.

5. Those of the Non-diaspora who have purchased Vodoun "initiations" irregardless of purchased "ranking" can NEVER resurrect (Initiate) the personal deities, especially the enslaved ancestors of anyone in the diaspora. The aforementioned is a priestly calling unique to the African/Diaspora lineages. Therefore only thy (African/Diaspora lineages priests/priestesses) can be the Mamam and Papa of anyone of the diaspora in the Vodoun Religion. The collective lineages of enslaved Africans around the world falls under the matrilineal ancient clans of Mama Tchamba

6. No mysteries or secrets of the Vodoun religion are published in books or known by any except lineage adepts, who will never speak.

7. African/Diaspora ancestors are teh most important element in the Vodoun religion. Without them, thee is now walk, nd no legitimate clerical or spiritual authority. It is crucial for the diaspora not to omit this fundamental divine fact.

8. As unsettling as the trend to obscure the historical theological, and philosophical foundation of the Vodoun religion might appear, in the end, one's own ancestors will lead them to their own paths in these very powerful African ancestral religions.

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/afar.2011.44.1.40?journalCode=afar

3. emanuel goodman

emanuel goodman Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +759
    Greetings sekhemu ,

I know I been bothering u for years about this lol can I make refrences to the dieties and my ancestors in the same shrine in addition can I use anything I choose to represent them ... Finally ready lol..

4. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Peace

What type of shrine are we talking about. If its ancestral yes, unless you have absolutely no way to create a seperate sacred space for them in your home. This is key.

With respect to using anything you choose to represent them i would say no. All orisa have eewo and knowing what they are is a must before making a choice to represent them.