Black Education / Schools : Basic Electrical Wiring..

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Enki, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    This thread is to help those of you that would like to learn basic electrical wiring. I was an IC electrician in the Navy for 12 years. I got out in 92 and went to a trade school and became and Industrial Electrician/w PLC training. PLC stands for Programmable Logic Controller. I can write Ladder, and Relay Logic.

upload_2014-4-20_2-44-45.jpeg
    Relay Logic.

[​IMG]

Ladder Logic.

[​IMG]

PLC....

In 98, I went back to trade school and completed the Electrical Eng. Course. I worked as a service designer for five years, I used Autocad, lighting programs, and estimation programs. I also have an AA degree in Civil Eng.

Now that that is out the way, let’s begin…..

The cardinal rule to remember when doing anything with electrical wiring is this: It can KILL. All it takes is 20ma ( milli-amperes), and if taken long enough, it can be fatal. An ordinary household circuit breakers do not trip out until a fault is detected in the ampere range. Which means that a ckt brk (circuit breaker) that is rated for 10 amps, will never trip. Milli is 10 to the negative 3, a 10amp ckt brk will not even feel it.

With that said, it does not mean that minor electrical work cannot be accomplished by the home handyman, or that it should

be avoided; but it does mean that one should respect the potential for harm.

ALWAYS GIVE ELECTRICAL WORK THE RESPECT IT COMMANDS, OR IT CAN, AND WILL HURT YOU.

Taking the proper safety precautions will ensure no one gets hurt.

1) Before working with any electrical wiring make sure that there is no actual electricity flowing to the area of the house to be worked on by flipping the breaker switches - if in doubt, flip them all off to do the work safely.

2) Wear rubber soled shoes, and make sure to use rubber or plastic handled tools to minimize the chances of a shock. Of course, it almost goes without saying that the area should be dry as possible.

3) When working with wires, make sure to bend them in different directions so there is no chance of the wires coming together.

4) While electrical wiring SHOULD be green wire is the ground (the safety) and the black wire is the "hot", and white is the neutral. Sometimes sloppiness creeps in so try and keep track of which wire connected to the fat prong (the ground)and which to the narrow prongs (the electricity). If all else fails, using a voltmeter makes it easy.

[​IMG]

This is called a picture diagram.

2. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    If the two wires being tested are the electricity wires and the electricity is off, a voltmeter should read 'open' or 'infinity' for the resistance test. I realize some things I will have to explain over the phone, so I will ask momma Destee if we can use it for that purpose. If you are willing to learn, I willing to share any, and all of my vast knowledge of mechanical, and electrical repair.

This thread will be on going, and covering many different things. My hope is to save you money by showing you that you can do it yourself, or help someone else that may be in need of the knowledge.

Peace!

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073
    Good stuff bro. Enki,

Its the kind of accredited teaching I was referring to in this post:

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/when-europe-was-black-ruled.80066/page-6#post-872310

And you posted this in the proper Forum for quick access, if we do get "Our own black people school!" going. Thanks again my friend.

4. SouthsideIrish

SouthsideIrish Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    Enki

Don't you think that the voltmeter should be set to voltage rather then resistance to check for power.

If your meter is set for resistance(ohms) and you check across 2 wires that have power....you will either blow your meter or a fuse within your meter.

I have done electrical work for 18 years and have spent time working hand in hand with local 134 construction electricians.

When checking for power.....your are checking for voltage.....you use a voltmeter and you put the setting at voltage.

And still when checking for voltage.....you don't check across both wires....you check each wire to ground....you could have 120 volts on your hot wire but if you have an open neutral your meter will read zero....Checking each wire to ground is the safest way for the person and for his tools.

5. SouthsideIrish

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
  6. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Good idea Enki..

it's a good idea to also post your online references..

7. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928

You gets all the credit brutha Clyde....It is that post that spurred me into creating this thread....

I got tired of you hitin me upside my head to either pee, or get off the pot....:lol::lol::lol:

Peace!

8. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    :toast::toast:

Thank you brutha for this cuz I over looked it. I appreciate you for pointing this out.....

This is what we need, the help of all so all can succeed....

Peace!!!!

9. SouthsideIrish

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    I have never heard the term "electricity wires"

That one brought a laugh.

As did your mention of a 10amp breaker....Never seen one in a house.
    Standard 15 amp breaker for 14 gauge wire....never less then that.

IF is a big word. Because if not....they are going to smoke their meter. Why leave the margin of error?

IF you are checking for power......obviously the person doesn't know if it is on or not...

That's why you are checking it.......LOL.

Bottom line is you don't use ohms to check for voltage....ever......You just don't.....you use voltage.

Only reason someone would ohm something out would be to check a fuse a bulb or to diagnose a broken switch.

A meter set to ohms does not even belong in the same paragraph as someone checking for power....because that is not how you do it.

You may have an electrical background and know many things that I do not. But construction electricity is not one of those things.

Your diagram showing romex would not even be allowed here in Cook County.

Certainly checking voltage to ground on the "electricity wires" individually is more useful information then checking resistance across each other.

Is using a voltmeter a class itself.....ya maybe....but that doesn't mean you tell people to use an ohm setting to check for voltage.

10. SouthsideIrish

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    E=IxR or W=IxE will help you out a bit but reading color code on resistors won't match up with doing what I have done for half my life. Working in low income areas I have come across a lot of shady electrical work with a lot of troubleshooting to be done. Work in a related field does not substitute for DIRECT HANDS ON experience....and through the posts in this thread....that is evident.

Ohms....to check for voltage.....when you already know the voltage is not there....

smh.