Black Spirituality Religion : basic beliefs of afrocentric faiths

ifasehun

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 11, 2003
afrocentric - african centered - of african people

basic tenants that verify the Africanity of a religion. without any of these - you are not looking at an african religion

1. Homage to the Ancestors
2. Divination & Posession as a Means of Communication w/ God
3. Character Development
4. Sacrifice & Ritual
5. Priest/Devotees - Guru/Student Relationships
6. Using Multiple Lesser (g)ods as a Means of Understanding One Uncomprehensible God
7. Reincarnation
8. Acknowledgement of a Spiritworld
9. Practice through a specific Lineage traceable to its founder, and then to Africa

i will expound later - hope to see additions added by other ATR (african traditional religion) experienced.

Ifasehun ... thank you for this too. You have shared so much with us regarding ATR (you taught me that too!) that i thought it would be a great idea to invite you to host a voice chat on this topic. I have so many questions, as i'm sure others do as well, and your hosting this chat will allow us to learn about ATR's and get our questions answered too. I know so very little, but i understand there are many African Religions and to be able to learn about them all, in a very broad and general sense, later focusing on each individual one as time allows, would be great. I'm wondering, how does someone know which one is right for them, when they don't even know which ones are out there? Or what the differences are in each. As i read your thread on the African Names of God, i wondered if different African Religions referred to God by different names (so that list could be divided by ATR's as well as listing the Names of God). I'm sure more questions will come to my mind and others, as information is presented.

You have a wealth of knowledge, specific and general, that we all could benefit from (in addition to reading it here on the forum) if you'd be so kind as to host a chat for us.

If you are interested, the first step would be for you to come into the chat room, verifying that your speakers and microphone works. Once that is confirmed, we can schedule a date and time. You'll be added to this schedule, Sisters and Brothers Teaching Each Other Schedule. Not everything currently scheduled is shown.

You're more than welcome to email me with your response, Destee@destee.com.

Please let me know what you think.

:heart:

Destee

Yes, it is very challenging to pursue African religion w/o some idea of what is available. I found my way initially by reading books and then discussing those with others who had the same interest. But what worked best:

Praying for some development or sign that would led me.

A series of people and events neatly occurred and led me in the proper way. I started out in another African religion, which by way of Spirit led me to the Orisa. It was all a series of blessings that required a lot of patience on my part. But it was pretty easy because I kept the flame in my heart that I wanted to learn more but I never put a timetable or fail/succeed kind of condition on it. So when it happened, it all seems like the right moment.

The Good part is that there is so much more available in print and on the web (even though some communities are beginning to take down their sites for various reasons). Technology has really allowed people to connect a lot faster. But it of course means you have to be more discerning too.

What also works is Oro Idile:

Oro Idile... this is a kind of ritual/spiritual reading done in some lineages of Orisa worship that help ascertain several things:

1. what part of africa you are from.
2. what deities your family worshipped
3. your family's role in the slavetrade
4. basic karma issues for your family
5. particularly strong or prominent ancestors that watch over you and then ones that watch over your family.
6. trades/vocations/careers that your family usually thrives and special exceptions for some family members.
7. illnesses that your family should beware of
8. How your ancestors wish to be venerated/worshipped/honored.

I will post a list of available African Religions in the U.S. I though I had already, but I couldnt find it. So I will do that today. Other than that, the communities are close knit enough that we pretty much know if their is something happening in most of the major cities, even if its in another african religion entirely.

I will also look for my recommended book list.

voice chat: if i could get it start, i would consider it. lol i cant work the darn thing. which is saying a lot since i am kind of a techie of sorts. (read: technology junkie. lol) i may need a plug-in w/ my opera browser and my IE is unreliable after a virus created permenant havoc.

anyhow thanks for the positive words. i have gotten distracted with "other" discussions, but i want to share more of what to get involved in, as opposed to why getting involved in other things is not what africans should do.

p.s. some people when i say, "you should pray for progress" in finding a community or a lead. but afterall, we are talking about religion and spirituality you know. lol if we cant expect for anything if we are praying on how, when and with whom to get involved, then what kind of results do we expect as practictioners? lol

also, i think its worth saying that African religions are practiced by people of ALL walks of life. There are rappers, R&B singers, politicians, professors, maids, teachers, doctors, unemployed (lol), plumbers - you name it, i have seen it. all types. they are people, like us. real down to earth people. they have strengths and weaknesses. most i like, many i love and a few that i wished i never met. but for the most part its always positive when you encounter and met devotees and priests.

Iya Ade is here and I and I believe Kwesi too - if someone wants a very direct route than one of us can get refer them to someone in their area. but i personally prefer that people read more and ease their way a bit. so that they when they make inquiries they feel comfortable and they are doing it for themselves at that point and not for me or someone else. afterall..its your spirit, your ancestors and your spiritual destiny!

Ifasehun ... thank you for your response, very soothing to my Spirit i must say. Our voice chat does say that Internet Explorer is required. You are a technology junkie but your IE is unreliable after a virus created permanent havoc??!!! Those don't seem to go together! :wink: Trying to encourage you to fix IE and make your way into the chat room. We had a very heated discussion last Wednesday night in regard to Pan-Africanism. I'm sure this is only the beginning and it would be such a pleasure to have you with us. I'll look forward to your future posts and if there is anything i can do to help you get into the chat room, please let me know. By the way, during one's initial login process, you are asked to accept an ActiveX plugin that is required for the chat to work. The download takes a few seconds and that's it, you're in.

Looking forward to more.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back