Black People : BART Transit Cop Found Guilty

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Jul 8, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    California transit cop found guilty of manslaughter

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES | Thu Jul 8, 2010 7:40pm EDT

(Reuters) - A white transit police officer was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter on Thursday in the videotaped shooting death of an unarmed black man that triggered a night of rioting in Oakland, California.

The defendant in the racially charged trial, Johannes Mehserle, 28, testified that he mistakenly drew his pistol instead of his electric Taser weapon and shot Oscar Grant, 22, while trying to subdue him during a New Year's Day 2009 confrontation.

But prosecutors said in closing arguments that Mehserle "lost all control" and intentionally shot Grant because he was resisting arrest.

The Los Angeles County jury of four men and eight women deliberated for about six hours over two days before reaching their verdict, indicating they essentially believed Mehserle's account that he shot Grant accidentally.

Juries can find a defendant guilty of involuntary manslaughter if they believe he lacked the intent to kill but that his actions were so grossly negligent that he should be held criminally responsible for them.

Legal experts have said involuntary manslaughter is generally punishable by two to four years in prison. It is rare for a law enforcement officer to be charged with murder in connection with an on-duty shooting.

Police in Oakland, across the Bay to the east of San Francisco, moved to a tactical alert status as they braced for the possibility of renewed violence following the verdict. But civic leaders appealed for calm.

Demonstrations by supporters of Grant, a young father who worked as a grocery store butcher, were planned in Oakland and Los Angeles.

"We don't know if we're going to have a riot or a celebration, but either way we're going to have one," protester Cindy Delgado said outside the downtown Los Angeles courthouse before the verdict was announced.

"I'm concerned about riots. I don't want to be hit by a bottle," said Francisco Raygoza, 30, an accountant leaving work in San Francisco. "Our office manager said leave as soon as you can."

Video footage of the slaying shown widely over the Internet and television, appeared to show Grant lying face down on the train platform when he was shot in the back. Mehserle was seen holstering his gun immediately afterward and putting his hands on his head as in disbelief.

Read More: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE66763A20100708?type=domesticNews

2. CreativeGrl

CreativeGrl Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::mad:

3. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Fail.............

Justice NOW NEEDS TO BE TAKEN....Let It Commence......:uzi:

This is an ultimate fail on all LEVELS for justice!

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    That's a travesty.

Manslaughter over MURDER.

That's like calling RAPE, "sexual harassment."

<smh>

5. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I didn't watch the vids; but from the title (and the speaker), I deduce that the topic and my post have some common tones.

7. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    The Juries were white - 7 was white - 3 were Mexican, 1 was an Asian and one declined to state their race. One woman that cried after she helped give the verdict. She didn't cry for the brotha that was innocently killed she cried for the cop because he has a new born baby.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine knew that boy - he was on his way to pick him up from the Bart station so that he could make it to work on time. He was a troubled kid but he got his life back in order and this brotha was there to help him. He waited in his car for him to come out of the bart and when he didn't he assumed that he was going back into the streets. Little did he know that later while he was at work - Oscar Grant face would show up on the news as being killed by police at the station he was waiting for him at.

I'm so tired and I don't know what we are waiting for? I just don't know - the police is a privately funded agency - its not constitutional. The Sheriffs are but not the police and thus they have no real right arresting us. How is it that we can allow them to get away with what they've been getting away with for so long? They are no greater then security guards - if they are not legally ground in the constitution. If they are not a federal agency - which they are not - then its just a bunch of ******** (slave master that make the whip go crack - aka *******) using a gun an badge to hang us - modernly known as shoot us, chase us down and chain us - modernly known as put us behind bars and separate us from our families - modernly known as putting us in prison.

We have got to handle our business - and stop letting this foos with guns play target practices on us. Period!!!

Peace

Ru2religious

8. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    INvoluntary manslaughter!!???!!!, That looked VOLUNTARY to me. That situation did not even call for the guy to be tazed, PLUS any cop too stupid to clearly determine rather he has grabbed the non-leathal weapon as opposed to the leathal weapon deserves at least 10 years in prison. Obviously that was the most logical lie he could come up with, but that is just rediculous. How did the procecution allow this jury to not have some Black people!!!???!!!

9. Seneb

Seneb Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,187
    Crowds storm streets after verdict in killing of unarmed black man

10. Seneb

Seneb Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,187