Black Poetry : Barack Obama's poetry

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Obama as Poet

President Barack Obama
Courtesy of Barack Obama: U.S. Senator for Illinois Web site http://obama.senate.gov/about/

When President Obama was a 19-year-old student at Occidental College, he published two poems in the spring 1982 issue of Feast, the school's literary magazine. The first poem, "Pop," appears to capture a moment between the young Obama and his maternal grandfather, Stanley Dunham. The bond between the two is reinforced at the end of the poem by the framing and reflective properties of Pop's glasses.

Pop

Sitting in his seat, a seat broad and broken
In, sprinkled with ashes,
Pop switches channels, takes another
Shot of Seagrams, neat, and asks
What to do with me, a green young man
Who fails to consider the
Flim and flam of the world, since
Things have been easy for me;
I stare hard at his face, a stare
That deflects off his brow;
I'm sure he's unaware of his
Dark, watery eyes, that
Glance in different directions,
And his slow, unwelcome twitches,
Fail to pass.
I listen, nod,
Listen, open, till I cling to his pale,
Beige T-shirt, yelling,
Yelling in his ears, that hang
With heavy lobes, but he's still telling
His joke, so I ask why
He's so unhappy, to which he replies . . .
But I don't care anymore, cause
He took too **** long, and from
Under my seat, I pull out the
Mirror I've been saving; I'm laughing,
Laughing loud, the blood rushing from his face
To mine, as he grows small,
A spot in my brain, something
That may be squeezed out, like a
Watermelon seed between
Two fingers.
Pop takes another shot, neat,
Points out the same amber
Stain on his shorts that I've got on mine and
Makes me smell his smell, coming
From me; he switches channels, recites an old poem
He wrote before his mother died,
Stands, shouts, and asks
For a hug, as I shink, my
Arms barely reaching around
His thick, oily neck, and his broad back; 'cause
I see my face, framed within
Pop's black-framed glasses
And know he's laughing too

IFE

Jan 20, 2015

UNDERGROUND

Under water grottos, caverns

Filled with apes

That eat figs.

Stepping on the figs

That the apes

Eat, they crunch.

The apes howl, bare

Their fangs, dance,

Tumble in the

Rushing water,

Musty, wet pelts

Glistening in the blue.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Good stuff, thanks for sharing ...
Obama as Poet

President Barack Obama
Courtesy of Barack Obama: U.S. Senator for Illinois Web site

When President Obama was a 19-year-old student at Occidental College, he published two poems in the spring 1982 issue of Feast, the school's literary magazine. The first poem, "Pop," appears to capture a moment between the young Obama and his maternal grandfather, Stanley Dunham. The bond between the two is reinforced at the end of the poem by the framing and reflective properties of Pop's glasses.

Pop

Sitting in his seat, a seat broad and broken
In, sprinkled with ashes,
Pop switches channels, takes another
Shot of Seagrams, neat, and asks
What to do with me, a green young man
Who fails to consider the
Flim and flam of the world, since
Things have been easy for me;
I stare hard at his face, a stare
That deflects off his brow;
I'm sure he's unaware of his
Dark, watery eyes, that
Glance in different directions,
And his slow, unwelcome twitches,
Fail to pass.
I listen, nod,
Listen, open, till I cling to his pale,
Beige T-shirt, yelling,
Yelling in his ears, that hang
With heavy lobes, but he's still telling
His joke, so I ask why
He's so unhappy, to which he replies . . .
But I don't care anymore, cause
He took too **** long, and from
Under my seat, I pull out the
Mirror I've been saving; I'm laughing,
Laughing loud, the blood rushing from his face
To mine, as he grows small,
A spot in my brain, something
That may be squeezed out, like a
Watermelon seed between
Two fingers.
Pop takes another shot, neat,
Points out the same amber
Stain on his shorts that I've got on mine and
Makes me smell his smell, coming
From me; he switches channels, recites an old poem
He wrote before his mother died,
Stands, shouts, and asks
For a hug, as I shink, my
Arms barely reaching around
His thick, oily neck, and his broad back; 'cause
I see my face, framed within
Pop's black-framed glasses
And know he's laughing too
UNDERGROUND

Under water grottos, caverns

Filled with apes

That eat figs.

Stepping on the figs

That the apes

Eat, they crunch.

The apes howl, bare

Their fangs, dance,

Tumble in the

Rushing water,

Musty, wet pelts

Glistening in the blue.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black People : Barack Obama Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : Barack Obama Gives Advise To Protesters and took to social media to ‘bring about change’ for social injustice Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : 'Fair maps': Barack Obama launches new initiative to help take on partisan gerrymandering Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Authors : Barack Obama Makes Surprise Appearance During Michelle's Book Tour Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Barack and Michelle Obama sign production deal with Netflix Black Entertainment 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Scottie Pippen wavers on Michael Jordan vs. LeBron James debate after Barack Obama chimes in Black Sports 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : A Scientific Explanation For Why Barack Obama Looks So **** Good Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : WATCH: Confused 5-Year-Old Wants to Know Where Barack Obama Went Black People Politics 1
Liberty Black People Politics : Live Barack Obama attacks Donald Trump and says 'American values' are at stake as protesters flood s Black People Politics 11
RAPTOR Black People Politics : "Pity the sad legacy of Barack Obama" : Cornel West Black People Politics 83
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : T.I.'s Open Letter to President Barack Obama: "You Shook Up and Woke Up a Generation" and to Trump Black People Doing Positive Things 6
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : barack-obama-photos Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Liberty Black People Politics : The Legacy Of Barack Obama - Fareed Zakaria Black People Politics 0
HODEE Black People Politics : Barack Obama Sharing What's At StakeThis Election Black People Politics 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Barack Obama secret File AACOOLDRE 5
Liberty Black Entertainment : ‘Barry’ – The Other Young Barack Obama Film, Starring Devon Terrell – to World Premiere at TIFF Black Entertainment 0
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Media: Barack Obama - Back to Back - (@Drake Spoof) Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
HODEE Black Education / Schools : President Barack Obama launched Computer Science for All initiative Black Education / Schools 14
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Americans Are Falling in Love With Barack Obama, Again Black People Politics 13
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Barack Obama's secret Gay Lover: out the closet AACOOLDRE 7
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Barack Obama tells African states to abandon anti-gay discrimination Black People Politics 12
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Promises To The Poor, or Promises to the Rich? Which Ones Does Barack Obama Intend To Keep? Black People Politics 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Barack Obama File AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Audio Video Web Conferencing : President Barack Obama - Drop It Like It's Hot SPOOF Audio Video Web Conferencing 4
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Freedom Rider: Wilson Goode, Barack Obama and the Good Negro Black People Politics 3
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Poet Heru: Barack Obama is Septimius Severus: Change You Can Believe In Black People Politics 1
Kadijah Black People Politics : Barack Obama: The bombshell that never quits... bombshelling! Black People Politics 7
RAPTOR Black People Politics : I Have a Dream vs. I Have a Drone: Dr. King v. Barack Obama Black People Politics 13
S Black People Politics : Voting Machine Switches Vote From Barack Obama To Mitt Romney Black People Politics 2
Writeous1 Black People Politics : Barack Obama and Saul Alinsky Black People Politics 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Barack Obama:The story AACOOLDRE 17
emanuel goodman Black People Politics : Barack obama a clone of ankhenton? First family clones as well. Black People Politics 30
Keita Kenyatta Black People Politics : The Video That Barack Obama Doesn't Want You To See! Pt. 1 Black People Politics 1
Ankhur Black People Politics : Is Barack Obama a Banker? Black People Politics 17
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Dick Gregory-Barack Obama is President! Now What? Black Entertainment 2
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Dr. Cornel West’s Message to Brother President Barack Obama Black People Politics 2
D Black Poetry : Look At This Brother Here (Barack Obama) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
PurpleMoons Black Jokes Humor : Blame It - Jamie Foxx- BARACK OBAMA SPOOF LOL Black Jokes Humor 3
MANASIAC Black People Politics : Barack Obama gets a shout out from the Department of Labor Black People Politics 13
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : President Barack Obama Chief Elder Osiris 2
M Black Entertainment : PRESIDENT-ELECT BARACK OBAMA & ENTERTAINMENT Black Entertainment 3
E Black People Politics : Congratulations to Barack Obama, Voters and Supporters ! Black People Politics 0
THE-GOD Black People Politics : What do black people expect out of Barack Obama? Black People Politics 46
cocobutterskyn Black Authors : Barack Obama Short Stories - Authors - Writing 4
Keita Kenyatta Black People Politics : Why White Supremacists Support Barack Obama Black People Politics 0
E Black Entertainment : Barack Obama: Fun Cutout Face Mask Black Entertainment 0
Blackbird Black People Politics : Prophesy of Barack Obama Black People Politics 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : For Barack Obama Supporters Black People Politics 91
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Minister Farrakhan Speaks About Barack Obama Chief Elder Osiris 2
emanuel goodman Black People Politics : barack obama stutters and gives hollow answers to young black males Black People Politics 19