Black People Politics : Barack Obama

We can sit from now until election day and find something to criticize Obama for but when it's all said and done, what are you left with still and what are we left to do? Are we as critical of the white political candidates that we select when we go to the voting polls? Has anyone in politics done anything for you lately and do you see anyone in the near future who intends to?

I think to a large degree we're all skeptics when it comes politics. None of us are ignorant or blind to what's been going on and certainly how political decisions impact us. So, if you don't intend to give up your American citizenship and plan to stay here, then what is it that you suggest African Americans need to do to bring about change for us in the political system in this country?

Do we wait for the magical moment when we become UNIFIED or do we see who is out there that we can groom and try to position people to be elected to positions where decisions are made that we can influence in our favor?

Help me to understand the naysayers logic?

Queenie :spinstar:

Aqil said:
As a graduate of Harvard and a lawyer, how is he supposed to speak?

That is exactly my point - what I was giving was an example of the typical white response to hearing a articulate man of color. They don't talk about the substance of what the person says, but in the way they speak. They act as if well spoken Black Men are as rare as bigfoot.

What is the "typical Democratic response"?

The typical Democratic response is to be critical of Bush, but to remain silent about the prevailing violence of US foreign policy. To quickly follow up an anti-war statement with tough militaristic talk so that you don't sound weak on terrorism. They Democrats spent the whole convention talking about Kerry's heroism in battle. I find it to be extremely in bad taste to promote this fantasy image of one failed conflict while we are in another. Obama's crime in my eyes was to voice his concern about the current situation in Iraq, but then to quickly follow it up with a war can sometimes be good statement. That kind of talk is tired. We need politicians who are comfortable saying that war should never be a political option - America should only use violence in response to direct enemy action - and not because of the potential of enemy action.

That would be a great breath of fresh air.

The brother is running for a seat in the U.S. Senate, and he is more qualified than the likes of Mike Ditka...:laugh:

People like Ditka and Arnold in Cali are jokes and in no way should we measure the competency of our candidates against them. I'm more qualified than Ditka!

Re: Sharpton, I agree. However, nobody "wheeled this guy out." The planners of the Democratic Convention wanted another African-American to speak besides Sharpton. Barak Obama's Republican opponent, Jack Ryan, had to drop out of the Senate race...Obama is running unopposed...and was their most likely candidate. As one of us who has a chance to make history, we applauded their choice...

He's being used as the good Black - there was much talk last week of how Sharpton's speech went off the path - and how much Obama's stayed right on it. Why was there so much comparison between the two? I'll answer it myself - It's because they both are Black. It had nothing to do with the similarities of their speeches. It had everything to do with race. Another thing - Obama current situation in Illinois is very sweet - He's about as close to being a lock as you can get. This brings many people out of the woodwork trying to sponge of his success. Sharpton had zero chance of winning so he didn't benefit from this, even though he spoke out on issues that are very important to the health and welfare of Black people. Black political leaders stayed away from Sharpton as if he were the plague.

Both Sharpton and Jackson spoke quite highly of him, and continue to do so...

Jesse & Al have no reason to attack him. But don't get it twisted. I would bet you all the oil in Iraq that the Democratic leadership would LOVE for Obama to speak on the political failures of the two. They would appoint him the official King of Black America if he did that.

I just want to say that I don't hate Obama. But the political circus that is surrounding him is ridiculous. He's being groomed by people in the Democratic Party and the media (whether by is own cooperation or not) as the good Negro. And he is playing the game.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back