Black People Politics : Barack Obama is a Phenomenon

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by onelight, Jan 27, 2008.

1. onelight

onelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Barack Obama is a phenomenon.

Roget’s New Millennium Thesaurus lists, “wonder”, “act of God” and “Divine act” as synonyms for phenomenon.

Barack Obama is a phenomenon. His candidacy and campaign for President of the United States is not just about whether or not he is elected. His candidacy has brought to the forefront of the political process and into plane view, the truth that America’s collective consciousness has shifted. It has shifted away from the old White racist regime domination and the 1960’s civil rights “give us equality-sit-ins-boycotts-marching mentality. America’s collective consciousness has bent in a new direction. It has bent toward a “we the people” (Black and White) mentality. We must capitalize on this shifting by giving it life. Life is birthed into this dimension through thought, sound and action. (What are you birthing or manifesting into this physical dimension?)

America is at a crossroad. Obama’s presence in the race unveiled the truth that the American people, (Black and White) want to live in a country where an African American can be elected President. Never before in history has America been postured for this degree of change. Senator Obama’s bid for the Presidency has brought this to the forefront.

This isn’t to say that racism doesn’t exist or that it has decreased some astronomically huge degree. This isn’t to say that we no longer need to ascribe to the principles of the Civil Rights Movement. This isn’t to say that if Senator Obama is elected President it will not be the result of a predetermined decision made by “the powers that be”. This isn’t to say that life will become crystal stairs for African Americans. What I am saying is unless and until we as a people recognize the Divinity of this moment in time we will have to repeat it.

The Obama candidacy is clearly the logical step in progression toward our social liberation. We must remember to recognize the value of Jessie Jackson’s and Al Sharpton’s bid for President. It was these gentlemen and a few other African Americans who paved the way for Mr. Obama. Mr. Obama is paving the way for other African American presidential candidates. This is what our African American forefathers suffered and died for. Do you think Harriet Tubman, Nat Turner and Sojourner Truth would have to consider whether or not they would vote for Mr. Obama?

I think we can all agree that with Obama as President for the next 4 years, America will not suddenly deteriorate into a third world country. He’s prepared to serve as Commander in Chief of this county. I think we can also agree that our lives will more than likely NOT improve over the next 4 years because Hilary Clinton becomes President. We stand to gain so much more if Senator Obama is elected. But even if he isn’t elected he has already made a positive impact on America. Just imagine for a moment the life changing effect the presence and image of an African American President will have on our young black boys.

By the way… I changed my party affiliation from Independent to Democrat so that I could vote for Obama in the primary.

2. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    Scripted vernacular.

Before I get started, Obama is NOT a phenmenon. :poop:

True progressives and liberators of social justice are uncompromising and unapologetic in their efforts. Marcus Garvey was a true progressive. Malcolm X was true progressive. Stephen Biko was a true progrssive. Obama is a snake-oil politican.

Real social liberators are targets for elimination by the establishment. Obama, on the other hand, is embraced by the establishment.

I have to agree with the statement another member said about Obama groupies: "Black people just want to feel good."

3. onelight

onelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Misapplied Indoctrinated Rhetoric.

Mad Skillz

Your comments are not germane to my post.

Your comparison of Mr. Obama to “true progressives and liberators of social justice," is irrelevant. Never did I describe Mr. Obama as such. As a matter of fact, please read the post again. You will see that I am speaking about the Obama "candidacy" as a movement and not about "Obama" the man. There is a separate and distinct difference between the two.

4. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    The floor is yours, Onelight.

I would like to ask you, as I have asked other Obama supporters on numerous occasions, what are the intricate complexities that entails this "movement" behind Obama's candidacy and how is he going to manifest these unknown goals? And please, something other than the usual slogan of 'he inspires me' or Obama can 'bring people together' nonsense would be nice.

Everyone desires CHANGE (there's that word again) from the current political discourse of the Bush crime syndicate. But for once it would be pleasant to hear specifics and not vague, rosy scripted political jargon from Obama cheerleaders.

Thank you.

5. onelight

onelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Mad Skillz

There isn’t anything “complex” about the movement that I referred to in the post. It's actually quite simple. Also, the “movement” isn’t “behind” the Obama candidacy. The movement came into being as a result of the Obama candidacy. A “movement” in and of itself is a “phenomenon.” More specifically, all movements are amorphous phenomena.

Let me explain… A movement by simple definition is a group of people with a common ideology who try together to achieve certain general goals. The Obama candidacy, at its current state or stage of development is an amorphous phenomenon. AMORPHOUS – (American Heritage Dictionary) Lacking definite form; shapeless. This is common to social movements. Below is a description of the elements of a movement. I have inserted into the description elements related to the “Obama candidacy” that coincide with the elements of a movement. My understanding of this matter and witness of America's reaction to the Obama candidacy caused me to conclude that the Obama candidacy is a phenomenon. See if you can agree.

Social movements are not eternal. They have a life cycle: they are created, they grow, they achieve successes or failures and eventually, they dissolve and cease to exist.
    They are more likely to evolve in the time and place which is friendly to the social movements: hence their evident symbiosis with the 19th century proliferation of ideas like individual rights, freedom of speech and civil disobedience. Social movements occur in liberal and authoritarian societies but in different forms. But there must always be polarizing differences between groups of people: in case of 'old movements', they were the poverty and wealth gaps. In case of the 'new movements', they are more likely to be the differences in customs, ethics (White Supremacy Status Quo and desired Change) and values. Finally, the birth of a social movement needs what sociologist Neil Smelser calls an initiating event: a particular, individual event that will begin a chain reaction of events in the given society leading to the creation of a social movement. (the Obama Candidacy) For example, American Civil Rights movement grew on the reaction to black woman, Rosa Parks, riding in the whites-only section of the bus (although it is important to note that Rosa Parks was not acting alone or spontaneously -- typically activist leaders lay the groundwork behind the scenes of interventions designed to spark a movement). The Polish Solidarity movement, which eventually toppled the communist regimes of Eastern Europe, developed after trade union activist Anna Walentynowicz was fired from work. The South African shack dwellers' movement Abahlali baseMjondolo grew out of a road blockade in response to the sudden selling off of a small piece of land promised for housing to a developer. Such an event is also described as a volcanic model - a social movement is often created after a large number of people (Obama supporters) realize that there are others sharing the same value and desire for a particular social change. Thus, one of the main difficulties facing the emerging social movement is spreading the very knowledge that it exists. Second is overcoming the free rider problem - convincing people to join it, instead of following the mentality 'why should I trouble myself when others can do it and I can just reap the benefits after their hard work'.
    Incident of Rosa Parks who was arrested for refusing to give up her seat to make room for white people sparked the American Civil Rights Movement
    Many social movements are created around some charismatic leader, i.e. one possessing charismatic authority. (Senator Barack Obama) After the social movement is created, there are two likely phases of recruitment. The first phase will gather the people deeply interested in the primary goal and ideal of the movement. The second phase, which will usually come after the given movement had some successes and is trendy; it would look good on a résumé. People who join in this second phase will likely be the first to leave when the movement suffers any setbacks and failures.

Eventually, the social crisis can be encouraged by outside elements, like opposition from government or other movements. However, many movements had survived a failure crisis, being revived by some hardcore activists even after several decades. (Wikipedia Encyclopedia)

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    "Shapeless" and "lacking a definite form".

Based on this definition I must agree.

Let's see if it takes on a "definite form" considering the following two possibilities.

Jewliani quits and throws support behind Johm McCain.

Edwards quits or doesnt recieve nomination and decides to support Clinton.

The "Obama Phenomenon" would then cease to exist because it would have to take on a "definite form" for it to not die out. It would then have to take on a new form with clearly defined political alternatives to the mainstream Deocratic party process.

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    One more thing.

Its ironic that the Clintons now are in the position of having to get support from black voters while at the same time abandoning a strategy of getting support from black "leaders" while they are at the same time trying to get support from Lations, using Obama as a "scare tactic".

I lived through this in California because James Hahn tried to use the same tactic against a Latino in his failed mayoral election campaign in los angeles. He had divided loyalties between blacks and Latinos and eventually lost to a Latino candidate.

The Governator got elected by didviding latino and black voters against Grey Davis, but played his cards right and got enough Latino voters to win.

The Clintons aint stupid which is why they are counting on Latinos in Florida, Texas and California.

If Obama cant get the Latino vote, he's done.

In fact, HRC is looking past Obama to McCain.

Both Hillary and McCain are getting the most funding from the jewish/zionist lobby and this is the real struggle going on behind the scenes. Which one of those two will the zionists decide to give most of their support. This is why there now is talk in new york of a re-newed "black/jewish" alliance. They cant take the Black vote for Granted, but they are masters at manipulating and co-opting it.

8. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Not to get off topic but

I do recall Obama "serving up Iran, Pakistan and Syria" in speeches to Zionist think tanks.
    This is a serious issue, when one looks at the scientific process of Zionist oppression of Africa and it's strangulation of the media.
    Wolfowitz is back inthe US, and Zaikheim smuggled a trilion out of the defense deparment,

9. onelight

onelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Back on Topic

Natinr:

While your comments were directly related to omowalejabali's previous post, they are definitely "off topic". This forum was started to shed light on the phenomenon of Senator Barack Obama's presidential candidacy.

10. onelight

onelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Back on Topic

No Omowaoejabali. The Obama Phenomenon would not cease to exist. A phenomenon is a phenomenon with or without definite form. Again, movements such as what has started as a result of the Obama Candidacy, are a type of amorphous phenomena. The phenomenon is in full effect and will be for a long time whether Obama is elected or not. His candidacy has changed the way people think. What happens(ed) with Guiliani, McCain or Clinton is neither here nor there.