Health and Wellness : baby-powder-cancer-lawsuits

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by jamesfrmphilly, Mar 31, 2016.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-baby-powder-cancer-lawsuits/

More than 1,000 women and their families are suing J&J and Imerys, claiming the companies have known of the association with ovarian cancer for years and failed to warn them. The next trial is scheduled to begin on April 11 in a St. Louis circuit court. “Whether or not the science indicates that Baby Powder is a cause of ovarian cancer, Johnson & Johnson has a very significant breach of trust,” says Julie Hennessy, a marketing professor at Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management. “In trying to protect this one business, they’ve put the whole J&J brand at risk.”

1. Asbestos free talc, such as that found in modern talcum powder has been suggested to increase the risk of ovarian cancer in women who apply talcum powder regularly in the genital area. Several studies in women have looked at the possible link between talcum powder and ovarian cancer, with mixed findings.

2. samjose685

samjose685 New Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is increase in the number of baby powder lawsuit filed against the manufacturer. The FDA also suggest people to not to use the talcum powder as it can cause you ovarian cancer.

3. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    Fox had been sprinkling Baby Powder made from talc on her underwear every day since she was a teen. “I was raised up on it,” she later said in a deposition. “They was to help you stay fresh and clean. … We ladies have to take care of ourselves.” It was as normal as using toothpaste or deodorant.

Not to be insensitive or anything, but I never heard of this practice.
    Putting baby powder in panties. Am I alone in this ladies? Anyone heard of this before?

4. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    We were taught to douche after monthly cycle and clean with soap and water. No baby powder.

Maybe this was a southern, northern, location practice. Very strange to me.

5. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    American Cancer Society

Studies in people
    Ovarian cancer
    It has been suggested that talcum powder might cause cancer in the ovaries if the powder particles (applied to the genital area or on sanitary napkins, diaphragms, or condoms) were to travel through the vagina, uterus, and fallopian tubes to the ovary.

Many studies in women have looked at the possible link between talcum powder and cancer of the ovary. Findings have been mixed, with some studies reporting a slightly increased risk and some reporting no increase. Many case-control studies have found a small increase in risk. But these types of studies can be biased because they often rely on a person’s memory of talc use many years earlier. Two prospective cohort studies, which would not have the same type of potential bias, have not found an increased risk.

For any individual woman, if there is an increased risk, the overall increase is likely to very be small. Still, talc is widely used in many products, so it is important to determine if the increased risk is real. Research in this area continues.
    ------------

Used in other products.

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    No, that's new to me too. I've heard of women using Google powder to reduce chafing when thighs rub together.