Black Sports : AVERY JOHNSON & BLACK COACHES IN PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL...

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
Yeah, I know of the 4 coaches still standing, only 1, Avery Johnson, is an African... But in light of some allegations made by Gar Heard some years ago, about how Black players respond to Black Coaches, that ONE coach standing might be revealing something Gar Heard, and a few of us, need to finally understand, and that is, that Black Coaches can sometimes lack the ability to coach, and the players see that, and refuse to front about it...

Players are not stupid... Many of them are so smart about the game, that they will, themselves, someday go on to become coaches... They will respond well to good coaching, and Avery Johnson PROVES that... The way this man has gotten this club to play a little defense is a work in progress, but it enabled them to finally clear the hurdle of San Antonio... He has officially made the Dallas Mavericks a tough out in any playoff series, and against anybody, because his players know he can play that guitar, so to speak...

And like the coach of the Mavs, Mike Brown, Coach of the Cleveland Cavs, made his club, too, a very tough out, because the man can coach... Against a lesser ballclub, the Cavs would be playing the Miami Heat in these conference finals - that, and a player of star quality to go with Lebron James... I think these guys shined the light on guys like Gar Heard, who want to make excuses for their inability to coach the game, and so did Byron Scott some years ago, as well as last season... In the years to come, I can imagine the afore-mentioned coaches being the last cats standing in the conference finals, alsong with Eddie Jordan of the Washington Wizards - because they're all pretty good coaches, and brothers respond to brothers if they feel they know what they're doing...

Peace!
Isaiah

Isaiah said:
Yeah, I know of the 4 coaches still standing, only 1, Avery Johnson, is an African... But in light of some allegations made by Gar Heard some years ago, about how Black players respond to Black Coaches, that ONE coach standing might be revealing something Gar Heard, and a few of us, need to finally understand, and that is, that Black Coaches can sometimes lack the ability to coach, and the players see that, and refuse to front about it...

Players are not stupid... Many of them are so smart about the game, that they will, themselves, someday go on to become coaches... They will respond well to good coaching, and Avery Johnson PROVES that... The way this man has gotten this club to play a little defense is a work in progress, but it enabled them to finally clear the hurdle of San Antonio... He has officially made the Dallas Mavericks a tough out in any playoff series, and against anybody, because his players know he can play that guitar, so to speak...

And like the coach of the Mavs, Mike Brown, Coach of the Cleveland Cavs, made his club, too, a very tough out, because the man can coach... Against a lesser ballclub, the Cavs would be playing the Miami Heat in these conference finals - that, and a player of star quality to go with Lebron James... I think these guys shined the light on guys like Gar Heard, who want to make excuses for their inability to coach the game, and so did Byron Scott some years ago, as well as last season... In the years to come, I can imagine the afore-mentioned coaches being the last cats standing in the conference finals, alsong with Eddie Jordan of the Washington Wizards - because they're all pretty good coaches, and brothers respond to brothers if they feel they know what they're doing...

Peace!
Isaiah
Ok...i might get fried for my perspective on this but here goes...living in Dallas....going to the same gym as Mark Aguirre...working out with some of the local high school players...every person i talk to has a very HIGH opinion of Mark Cuban.....and Mark Cuban LOVES Avery Johnson...and Avery Johnson has two "white men" who have helped him tremendously in developing not only his coaching skills but also his rapport with what are basilly a young, very talented team...DON NELSON and former laker coach DEL HARRIS....Avery Johnson can teach, mentor, guide a young POINT GURAD such as Devin Harris because he, himself, was a TRUE PG with some very sound fundamentals...

I just LOVE watching the Suns and Mavs. They play the EXACT same B-Ball that I was coahed and used in coaching my own middle and high school students. I LOVE watching the Heat and Pat Riley who also is bringing up a young team with gifted athletes such as D-Wade using a ZONE DEFENSE, focusing on DEFENSE and TRANSITION Basketball...

This is the concept that DON NELSON instituted in both the Suns and Mavs and it is something that Coach Avery stresses constantly...TRANSITION Basketball...quite simply...PRESS, RUN, PRESS, RUN and don't turn the ball over...Avery has admitted to the opress that sometimes he is hot-headed, looses his cool and goes off on his players...BUT THEY LISTEN!

And, Avery is not only a good coach but will prove to be a GREAT coach because he is not afraid to take risks...if you F*up he will BENCH YOU...as he did in taking Adrian Griffin and marguis Daniles out of the starting line-up then using them EFFECTIVELY in the rotation....Jerry Stackhouse KNOWS that if he does not produce while a starter Coach will nnot hesitate to bench him and bring in Marguise or maybe even move Josh Howard to that 2 spot...

It helps when a Coach has a SYSTEM and support from not just management but the OWNERSHIP. And having Alvin Gentry and Del Harris in your coaching staff does not hurt. Avery Johnson is a coach who his player LIKE, LOVE and RESPECT....and he is relatively YOUNG....which is an asset these days...

Mike Brown at Cleveland...I am glad the Cavs picked up his option...He reminds me of Avery....He will take a good player like Drew Gooden and if he doesn't produce...he will bench him in favor of younger players and eal with the criticism later....now I see why they let Carlos Boozer go...they saved salary cap and got further in the Playoffs while investing in a coach that the Players LIKE and RESPECT (Now if only Byron Scott could learn from these two!)

OmowaleX said:
Ok...i might get fried for my perspective on this but here goes...living in Dallas....going to the same gym as Mark Aguirre...working out with some of the local high school players...every person i talk to has a very HIGH opinion of Mark Cuban.....and Mark Cuban LOVES Avery Johnson...and Avery Johnson has two "white men" who have helped him tremendously in developing not only his coaching skills but also his rapport with what are basilly a young, very talented team...DON NELSON and former laker coach DEL HARRIS....Avery Johnson can teach, mentor, guide a young POINT GURAD such as Devin Harris because he, himself, was a TRUE PG with some very sound fundamentals...

I just LOVE watching the Suns and Mavs. They play the EXACT same B-Ball that I was coahed and used in coaching my own middle and high school students. I LOVE watching the Heat and Pat Riley who also is bringing up a young team with gifted athletes such as D-Wade using a ZONE DEFENSE, focusing on DEFENSE and TRANSITION Basketball...

This is the concept that DON NELSON instituted in both the Suns and Mavs and it is something that Coach Avery stresses constantly...TRANSITION Basketball...quite simply...PRESS, RUN, PRESS, RUN and don't turn the ball over...Avery has admitted to the opress that sometimes he is hot-headed, looses his cool and goes off on his players...BUT THEY LISTEN!

And, Avery is not only a good coach but will prove to be a GREAT coach because he is not afraid to take risks...if you F*up he will BENCH YOU...as he did in taking Adrian Griffin and marguis Daniles out of the starting line-up then using them EFFECTIVELY in the rotation....Jerry Stackhouse KNOWS that if he does not produce while a starter Coach will nnot hesitate to bench him and bring in Marguise or maybe even move Josh Howard to that 2 spot...

It helps when a Coach has a SYSTEM and support from not just management but the OWNERSHIP. And having Alvin Gentry and Del Harris in your coaching staff does not hurt. Avery Johnson is a coach who his player LIKE, LOVE and RESPECT....and he is relatively YOUNG....which is an asset these days...

Mike Brown at Cleveland...I am glad the Cavs picked up his option...He reminds me of Avery....He will take a good player like Drew Gooden and if he doesn't produce...he will bench him in favor of younger players and eal with the criticism later....now I see why they let Carlos Boozer go...they saved salary cap and got further in the Playoffs while investing in a coach that the Players LIKE and RESPECT (Now if only Byron Scott could learn from these two!)
Hey Coach O, that's a **** good post, but I don't want you to sleep on Byron Scott... The guy is an excellent coach who didn't have something you mentioned regarding Avery, and that is the undying support of management, which let Jason Spoiled Rotten Kidd threaten them into getting rid of a guy who'd taken them to two finals... If it was all about KIDD, then why haven't they been back????(smile!)

Yeah, I admit, Byron's a different personality than Avery, who is a preacher/teacher if I've ever seen one... Byron's got the playground swagger of a guy who was a star player in his days, and that definitely rubbed the media here the wrong way(don't underestimate this N.Y. media either, brother... They are some headhunters for real!)... These factors combined to chase Byron outta town, and it pissed a whole lot of fans off, because we knew that guy was for real... Look at what he is doing - and going do with New Orleans/OKla. City with Chris Paul as his point man... And do you remember the first year he took the NETS to the finals - that nighmare game where they blew a 27 point lead in the 4th quarter??? It was Byron who got those guys heads together to come back and sweep the rest of the games in that series... That said a lot to me about his coaching ability right there, in that he didn't get caught up yesterday's trauma, and did not allow his players to do that either...

NOw, I do agree with you on his style... He's got to get away from the Larry Brown/Pat Riley style of riding players into hell, and practicing them until their tonsils hang out... But I think that experience will teach him just as his mentors learned(Larry didn't know what he was getting into as far the media here was concerned... Way in over his head being critical of the players when you aint winning jack doo doo is a no no here...), that players today wont put up with too much iron-fisted discipline... You got to ease up at times, and bring the thunder when it's truly necessary... But he had two of the game's great coaches mentor him, and a third who's not bad himself, in Rick Adelman... I think he'll be alright if he's allowed to grow with the sqaud he presently has...

As per Avery, ditto on everything you've said... He is going to be a great one on day...

Peace!
Isaiah

Isaiah said:
Hey Coach O, that's a **** good post, but I don't want you to sleep on Byron Scott... The guy is an excellent coach who didn't have something you mentioned regarding Avery, and that is the undying support of management, which let Jason Spoiled Rotten Kidd threaten them into getting rid of a guy who'd taken them to two finals... If it was all about KIDD, then why haven't they been back????(smile!)

Yeah, I admit, Byron's a different personality than Avery, who is a preacher/teacher if I've ever seen one... Byron's got the playground swagger of a guy who was a star player in his days, and that definitely rubbed the media here the wrong way(don't underestimate this N.Y. media either, brother... They are some headhunters for real!)... These factors combined to chase Byron outta town, and it pissed a whole lot of fans off, because we knew that guy was for real... Look at what he is doing - and going do with New Orleans/OKla. City with Chris Paul as his point man... And do you remember the first year he took the NETS to the finals - that nighmare game where they blew a 27 point lead in the 4th quarter??? It was Byron who got those guys heads together to come back and sweep the rest of the games in that series... That said a lot to me about his coaching ability right there, in that he didn't get caught up yesterday's trauma, and did not allow his players to do that either...

NOw, I do agree with you on his style... He's got to get away from the Larry Brown/Pat Riley style of riding players into hell, and practicing them until their tonsils hang out... But I think that experience will teach him just as his mentors learned(Larry didn't know what he was getting into as far the media here was concerned... Way in over his head being critical of the players when you aint winning jack doo doo is a no no here...), that players today wont put up with too much iron-fisted discipline... You got to ease up at times, and bring the thunder when it's truly necessary... But he had two of the game's great coaches mentor him, and a third who's not bad himself, in Rick Adelman... I think he'll be alright if he's allowed to grow with the sqaud he presently has...

As per Avery, ditto on everything you've said... He is going to be a great one on day...

Peace!
Isaiah
Hey brother,

now you know i didn't mean to slight brother By, that's my homeboy and he IS a **** good coach...and is doing a good job in bringing up C-Paul...and you know what...them folks in OK LOVE the Hornets...the nets yeah they got an interesting dynamic...it's kinda hard to criticize the organization though because they brought in new coaching, Vinsanity and made the playoffs...but let's face it...the nets and knicks are just simply overmatched in the East...and it will be a while before they rise above the Caavs and Heat and the Pistons....check this..

Tayshaun Prince...another homie from the CPT....didn't even make the all NBA team but is their franchise player of the Future...Tay is KILLING folks right now...but notice the Pistons had to do the same thing...not to slight Larry Brown...but they brought in a new system...

I know i'm off topic now but oh well...let me ask....I been hearing news concerning the Knicks possibly bringing in Kiki Vandeweghe as coach. To me this is getting crazy. I also went to school with Kiki when he was at UCLA...I believe hid dad was a Knicks trainer.....Kiki has done good as a Nugget's GM and turning them around despite their own coaching problems...

I'm sure Vandeweghe KNOWS the game but how can the Knicks take this seriously when he doesn't have coaching experience....

However, there are at least two former Knicks I know of that are assistants....Bill Cartwright and Patrick Ewing....why do you think they would be looked over in favor of a GM with no coaching experience (unless Kiki does have some experience that I don't know about!)??

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back