Black Sports : AVERY JOHNSON & BLACK COACHES IN PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL...

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Isaiah, May 27, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Yeah, I know of the 4 coaches still standing, only 1, Avery Johnson, is an African... But in light of some allegations made by Gar Heard some years ago, about how Black players respond to Black Coaches, that ONE coach standing might be revealing something Gar Heard, and a few of us, need to finally understand, and that is, that Black Coaches can sometimes lack the ability to coach, and the players see that, and refuse to front about it...

Players are not stupid... Many of them are so smart about the game, that they will, themselves, someday go on to become coaches... They will respond well to good coaching, and Avery Johnson PROVES that... The way this man has gotten this club to play a little defense is a work in progress, but it enabled them to finally clear the hurdle of San Antonio... He has officially made the Dallas Mavericks a tough out in any playoff series, and against anybody, because his players know he can play that guitar, so to speak...

And like the coach of the Mavs, Mike Brown, Coach of the Cleveland Cavs, made his club, too, a very tough out, because the man can coach... Against a lesser ballclub, the Cavs would be playing the Miami Heat in these conference finals - that, and a player of star quality to go with Lebron James... I think these guys shined the light on guys like Gar Heard, who want to make excuses for their inability to coach the game, and so did Byron Scott some years ago, as well as last season... In the years to come, I can imagine the afore-mentioned coaches being the last cats standing in the conference finals, alsong with Eddie Jordan of the Washington Wizards - because they're all pretty good coaches, and brothers respond to brothers if they feel they know what they're doing...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Ok...i might get fried for my perspective on this but here goes...living in Dallas....going to the same gym as Mark Aguirre...working out with some of the local high school players...every person i talk to has a very HIGH opinion of Mark Cuban.....and Mark Cuban LOVES Avery Johnson...and Avery Johnson has two "white men" who have helped him tremendously in developing not only his coaching skills but also his rapport with what are basilly a young, very talented team...DON NELSON and former laker coach DEL HARRIS....Avery Johnson can teach, mentor, guide a young POINT GURAD such as Devin Harris because he, himself, was a TRUE PG with some very sound fundamentals...

I just LOVE watching the Suns and Mavs. They play the EXACT same B-Ball that I was coahed and used in coaching my own middle and high school students. I LOVE watching the Heat and Pat Riley who also is bringing up a young team with gifted athletes such as D-Wade using a ZONE DEFENSE, focusing on DEFENSE and TRANSITION Basketball...

This is the concept that DON NELSON instituted in both the Suns and Mavs and it is something that Coach Avery stresses constantly...TRANSITION Basketball...quite simply...PRESS, RUN, PRESS, RUN and don't turn the ball over...Avery has admitted to the opress that sometimes he is hot-headed, looses his cool and goes off on his players...BUT THEY LISTEN!

And, Avery is not only a good coach but will prove to be a GREAT coach because he is not afraid to take risks...if you F*up he will BENCH YOU...as he did in taking Adrian Griffin and marguis Daniles out of the starting line-up then using them EFFECTIVELY in the rotation....Jerry Stackhouse KNOWS that if he does not produce while a starter Coach will nnot hesitate to bench him and bring in Marguise or maybe even move Josh Howard to that 2 spot...

It helps when a Coach has a SYSTEM and support from not just management but the OWNERSHIP. And having Alvin Gentry and Del Harris in your coaching staff does not hurt. Avery Johnson is a coach who his player LIKE, LOVE and RESPECT....and he is relatively YOUNG....which is an asset these days...

Mike Brown at Cleveland...I am glad the Cavs picked up his option...He reminds me of Avery....He will take a good player like Drew Gooden and if he doesn't produce...he will bench him in favor of younger players and eal with the criticism later....now I see why they let Carlos Boozer go...they saved salary cap and got further in the Playoffs while investing in a coach that the Players LIKE and RESPECT (Now if only Byron Scott could learn from these two!)

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Hey Coach O, that's a **** good post, but I don't want you to sleep on Byron Scott... The guy is an excellent coach who didn't have something you mentioned regarding Avery, and that is the undying support of management, which let Jason Spoiled Rotten Kidd threaten them into getting rid of a guy who'd taken them to two finals... If it was all about KIDD, then why haven't they been back????(smile!)

Yeah, I admit, Byron's a different personality than Avery, who is a preacher/teacher if I've ever seen one... Byron's got the playground swagger of a guy who was a star player in his days, and that definitely rubbed the media here the wrong way(don't underestimate this N.Y. media either, brother... They are some headhunters for real!)... These factors combined to chase Byron outta town, and it pissed a whole lot of fans off, because we knew that guy was for real... Look at what he is doing - and going do with New Orleans/OKla. City with Chris Paul as his point man... And do you remember the first year he took the NETS to the finals - that nighmare game where they blew a 27 point lead in the 4th quarter??? It was Byron who got those guys heads together to come back and sweep the rest of the games in that series... That said a lot to me about his coaching ability right there, in that he didn't get caught up yesterday's trauma, and did not allow his players to do that either...

NOw, I do agree with you on his style... He's got to get away from the Larry Brown/Pat Riley style of riding players into hell, and practicing them until their tonsils hang out... But I think that experience will teach him just as his mentors learned(Larry didn't know what he was getting into as far the media here was concerned... Way in over his head being critical of the players when you aint winning jack doo doo is a no no here...), that players today wont put up with too much iron-fisted discipline... You got to ease up at times, and bring the thunder when it's truly necessary... But he had two of the game's great coaches mentor him, and a third who's not bad himself, in Rick Adelman... I think he'll be alright if he's allowed to grow with the sqaud he presently has...

As per Avery, ditto on everything you've said... He is going to be a great one on day...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Hey brother,

now you know i didn't mean to slight brother By, that's my homeboy and he IS a **** good coach...and is doing a good job in bringing up C-Paul...and you know what...them folks in OK LOVE the Hornets...the nets yeah they got an interesting dynamic...it's kinda hard to criticize the organization though because they brought in new coaching, Vinsanity and made the playoffs...but let's face it...the nets and knicks are just simply overmatched in the East...and it will be a while before they rise above the Caavs and Heat and the Pistons....check this..

Tayshaun Prince...another homie from the CPT....didn't even make the all NBA team but is their franchise player of the Future...Tay is KILLING folks right now...but notice the Pistons had to do the same thing...not to slight Larry Brown...but they brought in a new system...

I know i'm off topic now but oh well...let me ask....I been hearing news concerning the Knicks possibly bringing in Kiki Vandeweghe as coach. To me this is getting crazy. I also went to school with Kiki when he was at UCLA...I believe hid dad was a Knicks trainer.....Kiki has done good as a Nugget's GM and turning them around despite their own coaching problems...

I'm sure Vandeweghe KNOWS the game but how can the Knicks take this seriously when he doesn't have coaching experience....

However, there are at least two former Knicks I know of that are assistants....Bill Cartwright and Patrick Ewing....why do you think they would be looked over in favor of a GM with no coaching experience (unless Kiki does have some experience that I don't know about!)??

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Oh...and what about Larry Johnson?....Where is he at these days?

6. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother O, sorry for the delay, but the partee was on this weekend, bruh - LOL!

As regards the Knicks situation, it is an ungodly mess, and will likely take the Dolan's, who own CABLEVISION, to sell the team before it is finally cleared up... Those guys just love Isiah Thomas, who has screwed things up almost irreparably...

The speculation by the press here was, to bring KiKi Vandeweghe in as the General Manager(not coach), and fire Isiah Thomas... But to tell you the truth, I am not that impressed with what KiKi's done out there with Denver... If you REALLY want to get a top flight General Manager, go get Jerry West or Joe Dumarrs, or somebody... Them guys have the proven track records...

Isiah is a great evaluator of talent... That's his forte... Therefore, he should've been brought in as personnel director, not the GM, having to handle business duties as he does now... So this was mess waiting to happen before it happened...LOL! The only way to deal with it is to start from scratch, and chuck all but the really young and talented cats from the roster, which does not include Starbury or Stevie Francis, not Malik Rose and Maurice Taylor...

As for Larry Johnson, whatta sad case... The guy took so many painkillers, it damaged his vital organs(liver/kidneys), and it was all after he hurt his back... I think Larry was a victim of pumping to much iron, and that threw his natural body balance off... Some say he and Zo Mourning were dipping into 'roids back in the day too...

Byron was well-loved here, by Blacks and whites as well... They saw a handsome, well-dressed business guy handlin' ish, and if nothing, this city loves that kinda imagery... That he was getting great results didn't hurt his one bit either... But, then, suddenly stuff began to fall apart... We all heard the rumblings the year they finally lost to Detroit in the Eastern Conference Finals... The "players"(read that JASON KIDD)were complaining about his practices, and all that other nonsense... Management didn't want to renew his contract, and when the club got off to a rough start, they used that as an excuse to fire him... Fans here hit the ceiling on that... We all knew KIDD was the mutineer with all the power to consummate something like this despite all of his passionate denials...

All I can say is I hope the brother wins 9 Championships with Oak City/New Orleans... He repped himself most well here, and I do remember that there was even talk that he might be the guy that'd ultimately replace Phil Jackson in Los Angeles... That was during the Finals of 2002... Go Figure these things out, because I cannot...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Hey brother, glad you had a live weekend. Between spots on the net I was trying not to pig out too much myself. Actually, I was reading in the Dallas paper something to the effect that the Knicks are considering keeping Larry Borwn and that they have been talking to Patrick Ewing in regards to an assist position. But hey, even the New York Liberty crashed!

Let me ask you though. When you talk about letting go of the young brothers does that also include NATE WASHINGTON? Personally, I dig Nate. He gave our boys at UCLA "hell" and when he was a senior Washington went a lot further than many expected.

Yeah, I remeber the talk about By replacing Phil. even Michael Cooper's name was mentioned. Again, Coop ended goin' to Denver, but it was a disaster! Then jerry buss ends up bringing in henry bibby to coach the Sparks? Another disaster. A friend of mine (Marvin Menzies) was an assistant for Bibby (AT usc) and got out to UNLV before that blew up, so what were they thinking bringing him in to coach the Sparks? I knew that was gonna pan out after trading Delisha Milton...oh well....at least LA, NJ, NY and Denver fans got something in common....and my fam still trying to talk me into moving to ATL!.....lol!.....the Hawks shoulda stayed in St. Louis!

8. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

[email protected] O! Patrick tried out as a broadcaster - can you believe that non-talking, word-fumbling fool did that???LOL! Now, Fool wants to be a coach - yeah, right!LOL!

I don't know, brother O... It seems some brothers just wanna stay near the game because they're basically incompetent doing anything elseLOL! They think they're a lock to be a great coach, because they were great players... BullSnot! Joe D. and Jerry West are so rare, in that they were great players and managers, as well... Most of these guys stink in these positons... Look at the great players that tried coaching... Most of 'em stunk to the high heavens... Larry Brown, Avery, Karl, Riley, Sloan, and Phil, were o.k. players, but not way were they great... They were great students of the game, but they were not great players...

Great players don't study ****, they just play their ***** off... Now, Kareem, David Robinson, Bob Lanier, Dave Bing, and Earl Monroe, are dynamic in their scholastic and business pursuits, but that doesnt' necessarily translate to the sidelines... Byron might be, ultimately, an exception, and certainly Bird was, but I'm gone have to see it before I believe it... I guess you could throw Lenny and Bill Russell up in there too, but...that's as good as it gits, nowameen... That's it!

Speaking of disasters, brother O, what do you think of Sidney Lowe getting the N.C. State job over a Derek Whittenburg??? Derek came to the city, and has ressurected two basketball progrmans at Wagner and Fordham Universtity up in the BRONX, NY... These schools graduate STUDENTS first, and everything else last(smile!) Fordham U. is where Digger Phelps got his start, coaching Charlie Yelverton and that 1971 group to national prominence... They've not had that level of success since Digger left for Notre Dame in 1972... Bob Hill came in...Couldn't do ish... Derek Came in, and has almost immediately transformed the program... He will eventually get a big-time position, and I hope it's with St. John's, or someone in the Big East... N.C. State, I believe, will live to regret not hiring him over Sidney Lowe...

BTW, Hank Bibby is a Fan Favorite in NYC... A member of that LAST championship team we had here in the last milleniaLOL! As a matter of fact, he and Dean "the Dream" Meminger, and Phil were the guys off the Knicks bench back then, and they were all good defenders, and Hank was the long-range man... Good Shooter, brother, very good shooter... His son and Kobe together would be a dominant tandem...

Another BTW, brother... Have you heard that Sacremento is hot after a NYC Homeboy, Mario Elie, to replace Adelman??? They say he has a good relationship with Ron Artest... Yeah, Right!LOL!

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    SIZE="3"]Oh, you talking about Nate Robinson, the slam-dunk champ??? Nah, they aint parting with him - not just yet... Problem with Nate this year was, he's not a true point guard at his size... He's got a lot of Allen Iverson in his blood, so they're really going to have to find a way to accommodate that... But, no, he's among the young and talented on this squad, and he's a keeper...

You know, brother, the Knicks have some really talented kids on this team, and they need time, experience and proper guidance... Think about it... Channing Frye, David Lee, Jamal Crawford, Eddie Curry, Nate Robinson, and Qyntel Woods... These kids have talent, and need a coach who is willing to work with young kids... You got to have the temperment that Larry Brown only has for Veterans... That's why there were so many line-up changes last year... In addition, they've got veterans Stevie Francis, Quentin Richardson, and Jalen Rose - all of whom would fit nicely in the right systems of other clubs... Just not this one... There is too much duplication on this roster, and Isiah is responsible for this tom foolery... Like what the hell was he thinkin', man, to assemble this group together??? Now, I'm told they're after Kenyon Martin... Go Figure what kinda marbles roll around inside Isiah Thomas';s head, man...
    [/SIZE]

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    3 points before i go...(time to hit the bank and post office box)

...sid lowe over whittenburg...bad choice..

...henry bibby was my FAVORITE guard when I was a kid growing up in LA watching ucla, but I had even much more admiration for "Coach Hazzard"...who WAS a proven coach at Compton college...but his health declined while at ucla...we alumni be hard on a brother....lol...so bibby was ok at usc in doing an early good job of recruitment....sam clancy....a few more...but missed craig smith....evan burns...hassan adams and trevor ariza...(what's up with trevor anyway....did the knicks trade him in the francis deal??)...now since henry had problems with players at usc....reminds me of what happened with byron and what brown's dealing with now...the thing is we are talking about coaches who mostly were GUARDS wwho are having problems coaching players at the SAME position...man, gotta be a lot of ego trip involved in that...

i think tha's kinda what's going on also with avery and marquise daniels....it's been kinda quiet much the press be murmoring...the thing there is as long as devin harris is doing a great job avery is justified....and don nelson still gotta have some influence over avery cuz he recruited josh howard and actually wanted josh to play "point forward"...check that ish!

now on the sactown....i dont really know what's going on with Adelman...sactown made a comeback but they are just overmatched in the western conference and no team can come out of there or, the east for that matter with ONE franchise player...bibby and artest is barely a match for kobe and odom....no way a match for cassell and brand, with kaman on the indisde....no way....no way a match for parker and duncan...no way a match for nash and marion...

for one, mike bibby is a good guard, but not a great guard (same point you made about some coaches)...

now...i said 3 points but one more...

sactown then also gotta get past carmelo and that squad jerry west has assembled....memphis i expected more from

zeke man.....zeke is a genius...he timed his move before the lakers exploded and is building a team that should be very good in the future...as a contender...so long as zeke stays and his health holds up....got much respect for that white boy from west virginny...