Black People : Autumn Ashante Child Poet

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by QUEEN ABENA, Jun 7, 2006.

1. QUEEN ABENA

QUEEN ABENA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Greetings All,
    Have any of you ever heard of Autumn Ashante, child poet. She is a 7yr old African American poet from Mt. Vernon. She is quite unique in her own right and she has a whole lot to speak about.

My thing is this, i was doin some research on little sister and one website labeled her as a "racist" I was saying to myself "It's a shame that when our poeple, even the youth knows the "real story" or are in touch with their culture and heritage, we are labeled as racists. Why cant we instill pride, and encouragement without being labeled. Media is blaming her father for "brainwashing" and Inspiring her racist comments. Autumn performed one of her poems at a h.s. recently that caused major disturbance among the faculty. The School sent out recorded messages to all the parents apologizing for her "offensive" recital and she has been "unofficially banned" from performing in such places. Funny how we are made to Pledge Allegiance to The Flag in elementary school no matter who is offended by it or who doesn't believe in this Pledge. No apologies are made to thousands of kids who must recite this pledge against their/their parents beliefs.

I believe little Autumn is Divine and she will continue speakin out where she is welcome. What if it were your child and they were being treated as such, being called racist, and even being banned from certain places, what would be your reaction to this?
    Here also is a website that some of this came from
    http://wizbangblog.com/2006/03/15/autumn-ashante-racist-child-poet.php

2. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I'm just naturally skeptical when it comes to young children talking about what they "know" when they haven't experienced anything yet and most of their experiences and what they "know" comes from their parents....

MississippiRed

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    I know sister Autumn and her father Ashanti very well. She is a divinely inspired child, very intelligent and speaks about 4-5 languages. I have been at several poetic venues and have been on stage with her standing post off to the side as she recites.

THe ancestors have truley touched her & will continue too keep her strong. Keep an eye out for her as she has also been reading scripts and may just pop up on the Tube!

peace

4. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    A blessed child she is, indeed:spinstar:

5. QUEEN ABENA

Ratings:
    +1
    Greetings Brother

Although she is inspired by her father, is it a crime for her to vocalize "da truth" Children sometimes see things or experience things we adults have yet to understand. I am proud of her father for exposing her to her culture and history because if he doesn't then who will?

What would you do had your child been labeled racist and banned from performing and enlightening youth? Would you stop teaching her in hopes that she would just "forget" and blend in with everyone else?

just asking

Peace

6. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

It depends on what I was teaching her and my motives behind it..........and he's exposing her to our history as he sees it because again at 7 she doesn't have enough life experience to make an informed decision.....a lot of things I thought and was sure of at 7 , 15, 18, 20, 25 , 28 I now look at as completely ridiculous............ is she enlightening youth...not necessarily.......noone can be enlightened unless they want to be...just because somebody tells me something doesn't mean I'm taking it in........Honestly I just hate it when people , parents push their/our agendas onto our kids......
    Oh ......as a side....I love that picture in your avatar...for real....Beautiful...

MississippiRed

aka

EL Chupacabra

7. QUEEN ABENA

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for the compliment. And thanks for the response.

Peace & Blessings