Black People Politics : Autum Ashante for President!

anAfrican

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
(if anyone knows for sure, i'd appreciate having the correct spelling of her name. i know how to spell "autumn", but she, or her parents, could have decided to spell it without the trailing "n". i'm seeing it both ways on the net.)

Excerpted from Nah Right Blog
Nah Right said:
Autum Ashante for President

autum.jpg

Autum Ashante​

As you all know I usually like to keep it hip hop around here, but every so often I see something I feel deserves our attention. This little girl is the realest. Her name is Autum Ashante and she recently found herself at the center of a uproar about a poem she recited at a school in Peekskill titled "White Nationalism Put You in Bondage." Apparently the realness of her words was just too much for the parents present and after several complained, school officials sent out a recorded message apologizing for allowing their ears to be tainted by the truth.

Here is her poem in it’s entirety:

White Nationalism Put U In Bondage

White nationalism is what put you in bondage
Pirate and vampires like Columbus, Morgan, and Darwin
Drank the blood of the sheep, trampled all over them with
Steel, tricks and deceit.
Nothing has changed take a look in our streets
The mis-education of she and Hegro – leaves you on your knee2grow
Black lands taken from your hands, by vampires with no remorse
They took the gold, the wisdom and all of the storytellers
They took the black women, with the black man weak
Made to watch as they changed the paradigm
Of our village
They killed the blind, they killed the lazy, they went
So far as to kill the unborn baby
Yeah White nationalism is what put you in bondage
Pirates and vampires like Columbus, Morgan, and Darwin
They drank the blood of the sheep, trampled all over them with
Steel laden feet, throw in the tricks alcohol and deceit.
Nothing has changed take a look at our streets.

And she ain't but seven?! THIS Young Woman is a National Treasure/Resource to be Protected, Nurtured and Cherished at all costs!

Brother Ashante; my hat's off to your homeschooling efforts! THANK YOU!

Google searches:
Autum Ashante
White Nationalism Put U In Bondage
White Nationalism Put You In Bondage
Autum Ashante - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(oops! :blush:) YOUNGSTER'S BLACK-POWER POEM RILES SCHOOL (03-16-2006, 01:58 PM) (my bad; i thought this was something new ... ah well; as powerful now as it was then. wonder what she's up to now?)

CNN Transcript said:
We change our focus now to a 7-year-old girl already writing poetry. So, why are school officials apologizing for letting her read it out loud to other students? What is so darn controversial?

ZAHN: So, how much controversy can one little girl cause? Well, just wait until you meet Autum A. ASHANTE:. She's a very talented 7- year-old poet who set off a very heated debate over race, a topic many adults go out of their way to avoid.

This whole thing began last month at a black history school event. And, ever since then, Autum has been vilified for spreading hate, and praise for being wise beyond her years.

Jason Carroll set out to meet Autum and immediately ran head on into the very storm that has raged around her for weeks.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

AUTUM ASHANTE:, 7-YEAR-OLD POET: I am misunderstood by many, yes, even my own.

JASON CARROLL, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): Most girls her age are still learning to read and write, but 7-year-old Autum A. ASHANTE: is recording her spoken word poetry C.D..

A. ASHANTE: I am the mighty black woman.

CARROLL: She has already performed at the Apollo Theater...

A. ASHANTE: I said, do not pollute our gardens, please.

CARROLL: ... and on Black Entertainment Television's Hurricane Katrina relief telethon.

A. ASHANTE: What have I done to be (INAUDIBLE)

CARROLL: Critics are calling her a child prodigy, praising her socially conscious poems, like the one about the controversial police shooting of a black immigrant in New York.

A. ASHANTE: They shot our brothers 41 times.

I like to be on stage. It's like my second home, or it's my house. It's my room.

CARROLL: Autum, it seemed, could do no wrong. So, why is she now defending herself from those who say she's a racist?

A. ASHANTE: That just doesn't make sense. I mean, I'm not a racist. And I'm very young to be a racist, wouldn't you say?

CARROLL: Autum has come under fire for her latest poem titled, "White Nationalism Put You in Bondage." She read it to students at a Peekskill, New York, middle school and high school.

A. ASHANTE: I was kind of upset when I found out that they don't like the poem, because I don't get why they were being offended. It's the truth.

CARROLL: The offense, Autum referring to Christopher Columbus, Charles Darwin and Captain Henry Morgan as vampires.

A. ASHANTE: Pirates and vampires, like Columbus, Morgan and Darwin, drank the blood of the sleep, trampled all over them with steel, tricks and deceit.

CARROLL (on camera): What did you mean by that, because -- because I would like to know, in terms of referring to them as vampires?

A. ASHANTE: Because they robbed, raped, and murdered our people.

CARROLL (voice-over): Autum's attempt at raising black awareness did not end with just a poem. It began when she told all the black students in the multicultural audience to stand while she read the black child's pledge, which was originally created by a member of the Black Panthers.

She told all the white students that it wasn't for them, that they should sit down. (voice-over): Alicia Putchee (ph), a junior at the high school, sat in the audience.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: It was a little shocking, at first, a 7- year-old telling us to sit down. And, then, it just -- it was just -- it was kind of rude. It was a little rude. It was. It made me angry.

CARROLL: The school superintendent sent apologies, after students and parents complained. She explained that Autum's poem and the black child's pledge had not been pre-approved.

JUDITH JOHNSON, SUPERINTENDENT, PEEKSKILL, NEW YORK, SCHOOLS: We're stunned by the fact that this is continuing to represent a story in newspapers and on television. It's not a story for us anymore.

CARROLL: But Autum continues to be the subject of editorials and radio talk shows.

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

GLENN BECK, RADIO TALK SHOW HOST: You want to go to Africa? I will personally purchase your airfare.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

CARROLL: Several threatening blogs have surfaced, this one saying, "Someone will shut her little mouth, permanently."

Many of Autum's critics believe her father is behind her words.

BATIN ASHANTE, FATHER OF AUTUM ASHANTE: Put your answer there.

CARROLL: Autum, who is homeschooled, says she wrote the poem after being inspired by a documentary. She included the black pledge after hearing about a fight between blacks and Latinos at the school. But school officials say there was no fight.

(on camera): If a white student stood up and said that this is for white students only...

B. ASHANTE: Under the circumstance, if it was under the same circumstance...

CARROLL: Let me finish the question. Let me finish the question.

(voice-over): Her father, Batin, just off camera, interrupted several times...

B. ASHANTE: Don't speak on that one.

CARROLL: ... saying he was being a protective parent.

B. ASHANTE: And I'm an offshoot of a soccer parent. We just do poetry and theater. CARROLL: Ashante says he teaches his daughter, but does not tell her what to write.

(on camera): What do you teach Autum about tolerance?

B. ASHANTE: I don't -- we don't -- we -- tolerance is -- tolerance -- we are here with no power in America. We are tolerant.

CARROLL: Even people without power, though, can be intolerant.

B. ASHANTE: We're not intolerant. Of who? I -- I don't want you to take this story here and try to turn this thing into that she's being taught hate at home, because that's not what we're about here. We're spiritual beings.

CARROLL (voice-over): Though her subject matter is typically serious, not everything Autum recites is.

A. ASHANTE: Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider. Girls go to college to get more knowledge. Hey, girls.

(LAUGHTER)

CARROLL: She is, at times, a typical 7-year-old girl, prone to giggle fits...

(LAUGHTER)

CARROLL: ... except when it comes to defending her true love of poetry and her poem on white nationalism.

A. ASHANTE: I'm going to continue saying that poem. Mostly, until I die, I'm going to keep saying that poem.

CARROLL: No matter how hard, she says, it is for some to hear it.

Jason Carroll, CNN, Peekskill, New York.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

ZAHN: You might also be interested to know that the school has not banned Autum from future recitals, but the superintendent says, next time, it will certainly be a smaller group, so there at least can be a discussion of her poetry.

anAfrican said:
(if anyone knows for sure, i'd appreciate having the correct spelling of her name. i know how to spell "autumn", but she, or her parents, could have decided to spell it without the trailing "n". i'm seeing it both ways on the net.)

Excerpted from Nah Right Blog

And she ain't but seven?! THIS Young Woman is a National Treasure/Resource to be Protected, Nurtured and Cherished at all costs!

Brother Ashante; my hat's off to your homeschooling efforts! THANK YOU!

Peace RAAAAAAAAAAA!!

she is 8 now..........

I was with her and her father last night in Harlem at a Black Unity Rally...

the proper spelling is like the season "AUTUMN".......& she did 2 poems last night that blew the crowd away....

This Tuesday coming, the court will decide whether to take this young Goddess (whom they fear as well as her father) away from her father here in NY!

Myself, along with the New Black Panther Party, NOI & MANY MANY others will be present to try & make sure this does not happen.....they FEAR her intellect & stregnth which could only come from the ancestors, so the WILLIE LYNCH mindset steps in to try & seperate her from her ROOTS!!

ANyone in NY, the trial will be at the New Rochelle Courthouse at 9 AM this coming Tuesday!!

"if you don't stand up for something, you will fall for anything"

Trust, that they are both strong and holdin' their heads up high as usual......

PEACE too the Universal Family!~

Sincere Allah

Black Child's Pledge

Black Child's Pledge

I pledge allegiance to my Black People.
I pledge to develop my mind and body to the greatest extent possible.
I will learn all that I can in order to give my best to my People in their struggle for liberation.
I will keep myself physically fit, building a strong body free from drugs and other substances which weaken me and make me less capable of protecting myself, my family and my Black brothers and sisters.
I will unselfishly share my knowledge and understanding with them in order to bring about change more quickly.
I will discipline myself to direct my energies thoughtfully and constructively rather than wasting them in idle hatred.
I will train myself never to hurt or allow others to harm my Black brothers and sisters for I recognize that we need every Black Man, Woman, and Child to be physically, mentally and psychologically strong.
These principles I pledge to practice daily and to teach them to others in order to unite my People.

The Black Panther, October 26, 1968
by Shirley Williams

Custody Hearing

ALL OUT!!! to
the Family Court
Tuesday, Jan. 30th 9:15 Am
420 North Ave. @ Lincoln Av.
New Rochelle, NY
(MetroNorth Commuter Train [about $18 RT] @ Grand Cen. OR 125th
St-Harlem [@ Park Av.] Sta.s -- to New Rochelle Sta.; Walk to 'North
Ave.' end of Train Sta., Turn left, Walk about 5 traffic lights/blocks to
Lincoln Ave. -- OR -- Get Taxi from Station (are waiting @ both Inbound
& Outbound Sides of the Staion) (Ph. # @ Family Court: (914) 813-5650)

Contributions are needed for
Batin Ashante's Legal Fees!! Interim Contact
(646 334-9136)

On Tuesday January 30, 2007 at 9:15 AM in New Rochelle, NY, a judge,
Nilda M. Horowitz, will be presiding over a hearing to decide whether to
take young prodigy poet Autum Ashante from her Dad in a custody case.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back