Black People : Auto Mechanics Scamming Women

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Mar 18, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    So, awhile back I took my car in to get a routine oil change. So the manager of the business told me that I need to get a part replaced cause it was almost worn out. I was like something didn't feel right about it and I was like I'm not going through with that cause I just got my car and when I got it I had it checked out by a mechanic my dad recommended.

I took my car in again for my next routine oil change, and they said everything look good, EVEN the part that the previous place told me I needed to have replaced.

SCAM!

And the worst part about it is that my dad does business with this company and I get free deals when I take my car in, but they don't know this. So, I think this guy thought that since I'm getting a free deal he might as well try and get some money out of me in the process.

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    what did your father say when you told him about the incident?

3. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    He said he's going to speak to the manager.

The crazy thing is that my mom is taking her car there tomorrow to get her car worked on.

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Unfortunately, this is nothing new. Mechanics have been scamming women for decades.

More women just need to become more informed/educated about their vehicles.

Ask a male relative or friend about the basics: battery, starter, transmission, etc.. (find out where they are and any tell-tale signs for each part)

... know all your liquids (oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, anti-freeze, etc.) --have him show you where these areas are and how to check them.

...find out what size engine you have (ex. 4-cyclinder/6-cyclinder...)

...go online, research your vehicle (make/model)

...find out where your "fuse box" is and which fuses control what features on your car.

Back-in-tha-day, I learned quite a bit about a car just from personal experience from my own vehicles.....I've had some "hoopties" in my day! :lol:

So, I know what a "Catalytic Converter" is and a "blown head-gasket" and "seal leaks" (main/rear) and "carburetors" ..and many other things to listen for and/or look for trouble signs on a car.

More women just need to become more knowledgeable/empowered about their cars other than putting gas in it and driving.

YOU are fortunate enough to have a "hook-up" thru your father and you had the wisdom to distrust that manager.

But, there are many women out there, young and older, who are scammed by mechanics every day.

5. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    Yes it is sad that mechanics do this but in this rotten economy this will only happen more. Everyone is trying to make a buck now and some don't care how they do this.

I have a mechanic that I've been using for a while but not all women are that fortunate. I used to be outside when my dad worked on our cars so I picked up little things from him whether he realized it or not lol. It is hard for a mechanic to get over on me because I have some idea what the problem is before I even take my car in. I had one tell me years ago that I needed to get most of the brake system on my car replaced or I might not make it home. I knew that I needed new pads and maybe to have to rotors turned but no too much more. I told him that I'd been driving on those bad brakes for a while so if I made to his shop I would make it anywhere else I needed to go lol. I went to another shop and got what I needed done and have been with that mechanic ever since. Women just need to beware and educate themselves on something other than how to turn the ignition and pump gas lol. It also helps to take a man with you, even if he knows nothing about cars a mechanic might not be able to tell that right away and deter them from trying to scam you.

6. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    My dad told me this age old trick when i was 16.

I never take my car to the mechanic by myself.

7. gogounited

gogounited Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    Terrible but typical. Stuff like this gets me hot, I mean, isn't life hard enough? What's wrong with these men?

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Also, a good strategy. Some men are so sexist, they'll fall for it.

But I think it was LadLC you meant to quote, perhaps...

Yep!....Even when it's YOUR car, he will direct his questions/comments to the MAN and kinda make eye-contact with YOU err-now-and-then like he is really involving you in the car discussion. lol