Black Sports : Attorney says Jonathan Martin was harassed by Dolphin teammates

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by jamesfrmphilly, Nov 8, 2013.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    [​IMG]

Jonathan Martin’s new attorney says harassment of the Miami Dolphins tackle came from more than one teammate.
    The abuse went far beyond the traditional locker room hazing, including a malicious physical attack and daily vulgar comments, attorney David Cornwell said Thursday.
    He was hired this week to represent Martin, who left the Dolphins last week.

http://thegrio.com/2013/11/08/attorney-says-martin-was-harassed-by-teammates/

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    Though I played the sport and 2 others, I've always maintain the view that modern athletes and sports are tantamount to Roman Gladiators:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.google.com/search?q=rom...QSCwoCYAw&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=681

3. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    It had to be more than just locker room hazing. The language used to describe what they would do to members of his family, would make anyone heed those threats more seriously than if they were just threating him. You don't know what yt would do if told to so by his coaches.
    Don't forget the mess of New Orleans about hurting other teams players.
    Hazing and that.....not much difference!

4. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    This was clearly an organizational issue. Meaning Owner, GM, Coaches, and the players condoned this type of behavior. I'm laughing at all the Black folk saying he should have just knocked dude out....That might work if he just ran into dude on the street, but fighting that white boy would have done nothing to change the culture inside that locker room and it could have also made his teammates ostracize him even more and could have eventually lead to him being black balled out of the league......He went about this the right way, expose that organization for what it is and try to get some dough off of them for what you had to go through....Smart brother.......And shame on those Black players in the locker room like Pouncey and Mike Wallace who have defended this white boy Incognito...I have a hard time respecting them as Black men.....Pouncey was seen in a video laughing it up with dude while he called him ******......just pathetic....P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C.

5. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    I was thinking the same think about the black players who condoned s---.
    It would probably shock us here to know what black players go through/accept to keek their jobs
    on ..professional teams.

If if they had done something like Martin has done, maybe not to the extent of quitting, long before now.
    We would have a standard o show we would not tolerate talk like this. Threats to family and outward actions, in words and deeds of racism.

6. Da Flash

Da Flash going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    professional internet surfer
    Ratings:
    +405
    I go with the ol' skool attitude of deal with a bully on his terms, while I know that this isn't everyones ways, it is a proven technique. Do you really think that running and snitching to the media is going to do wonders for this guys career?? That whistle-blowing stuff has consequences also.

As far as the Blacks giving the yt boy a pass on using the n-word, I've never trusted anyone who would be so quick to dismiss our history!!

7. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Remember that Riley Cooper or whatever that fool's name is that plays on the Eagles and his racist @$$ comments at a concert and all the disdain he deservedly got from everyone? Well now we have another idiot saying the same thing to a brotha and since it's under the guise of "hazing" other "black" folk saying how good a person this Incognito (who ain't really living up to his last name so well) character is and all and how "great" he is. It just makes you want to vomit at how obtuse people are.

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

... Exactly, gladiator to gladiator.

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    football in the south is on some slave mentality ish....
    especially in florida...i saw it first hand at famu and fsu as i had friends on both teams...
    they used to call charlie ward the shotgun nu-cca and he was the leader of the team...
    anything goes and only the biggest strongest and fastest are respected team wide...

one love
    khasm

10. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    No disrespect, but how can any of this come as a 'suprise' or 'shock', giving the Penn State scandal, i. e., what got denied for the sake of big bucks for the university and/or network broadcast revenues ad naseum?!?

Yeah, we had presumed the same crap only plagued the private schools, but now we now better...

Then, too, notions of making big bucks as sports players etc., and/or the means/ways/etc. out of poverty, has risen to mythic levels, when it comes to our relations...

Difficult if not impossible for some of us to heed the reality checks/wake up calls...

Do keep Spike Lee's flicks on the subject of blacks in the sports biz...

FYI