Black People : ATTENTION PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by KWABENA, Sep 24, 2004.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hello Family!

I just felt that since we are being hit with another Hurricane (Jeanne), It would not be a bad idea to gring this up. Have you heard about Haiti? More than 1,050 people dying, and the whole place flooded from Jeanne, everyone is starving there. And the only people that seem to be okay are the rich white canadians up in the hills of Haiti. I just hope that this family can feel any amount of sympathy for them. They do not have it easy like we have it. They go not get help like we get assistance. Please tell me someone on here would express their feelings about the poeple down there.

Cedric Denson

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i feel for them.
    i have had friends from there.

3. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Yes I have been following this closely and few of us had posted about it on another site. It is possible that the toll could hit 2000!! Haiti already had flooding this year and people dont live in the best homes so they were sitting ducks for a nasty storm like this. My country better send some aid down there....I live in a city where more than hlf of black people are Hatian or of Hatian decent so I know they gotta be making noise about it...and probably wiring money to relatives.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Gosh yes, I do have a tremendous amount of empathy for Haitians and all of our brothers and sisters in the Caribbean. However, I don't look to the U.S. to do anything in their behalf though. Does anyone else think they will?

Queenie :spinstar:

5. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    I dont know that the US government will donate anything serious...I have heard numbers like $65,000. That is a joke. 1100 are dead and another 1100 are missing. 300000 are without homes, disease is spreading from dead bodies and millions are hungry and thirsty.

My home province is sending $200,000. Numerous charities are collecting money and having fundraisers. I am waiting to hear from our federal government though...they need to step up as should the US government.

Things are desparate to where the soldiers from other countries and firing flash/fire and smoke grenades at people trying to rush places where food is being distributed.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    my heart reach out to all i am really waiting to see what our government going to do
    what help will they give to bring some of the cry and pain in Haiti. sad sad sad !!!

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    There is a Haitian woman who works at the school that I volunteer my time at. She says that back in history, the U.S. wanted to domain Haiti. Then when Haiti refused, the U.S. backed off of them. I think that has something to do with this.

But forget that.

I am not in Florida at my West Palm Beach condominium right now because I am up in New York for a banquet, but when I get back down there in two weeks, I will find the closest Haitian families possible, and I will support them in any way I can. I will not sit back and wait for the U.S. Government to make a move, No, I will do what I can for them. That is sad how this poor country has to play "Survival of the Fittest" just to get some food and water like animals. The U.S. was able to fly over seas, and dropoff health care packages to the victims of war. Why in god's name can they not fly over to Haiti and drop off food, water, clothing, etc.! Why can they not send a crew down there to help reconstruct? In West Palm, we had people coming from all over the country (according to the misinformative radio) bringing ice, generators, and all that to us. Haiti needs it a hell of a lot more than we do. Those are human families down there just like us who struggle everyday. I never thought that besides Africa, there was another place to struggled so bad just to stay alive everyday. This may be the first time that I actually get involved with helping out people outside of the country who need it. I cannot see those MSNBC videos of NBC.com articles and pictures again. Makes we wanna cry. God Bless you all family for showing your concern, and God Bless those who passed on because of these types of situations, as well as the crowd who are still living.

Cedric Denson

8. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have tremendous empathy for the people of Haiti. My father has lived and worked in the Dominican Republic for the last 10 years, so maybe I have a little too add to this. I don't know if many people are aware that around 2000 people died and many more were washed away during a flood 6 months ago. The recent hurricane just added to the problems. The country is almost deforested which doesn't help. The Dominican people really don't seem to care about the Haitians for some reason, you'd think living on the same island they would have empathy.

I don't know if the US sending aid would do any good at all since the govenment down there is so corrupt. This may be why the US wouldn't jump to send aid. The people who need the help probably wouldn't get it anyway. The best way they can be helped is by private organizations such as churches helping communities so that the money and food go to the people and not the government.

My father has been down there through a few elections and it isn't pretty. Very violent and corrupt! It's sad to think that the people in power would rather line their pockets than help the people who desperatally need it. My prayers are with them.

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Thank you all for your regards, I appreciate it.

Cedric Denson

10. bienamor

bienamor Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    reason the dominicians don't like the haitians

1821 - President Boyer invades the other half of Hispaniola, Santo Domingo, following its declaration of independence from Spain. The entire island is controlled by Haiti until 1844, when Santo Domingo gains independence as the Dominican Republic.

This is one of the reasons that the Dominicans feel little if any empathy toward the Haitians. Our independence day is Feb 27(Independence from Haiti).