Black Spirituality Religion : ATTENDING CHURCH

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by KWABENA, Apr 9, 2006.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hello Family:

I have a question to ask of the current members here at Destee. For some, due to some of the threads that I have read, I know why they do not attend church, but I would like for this thread to put that in detail.

Actually, my question is a few in one, given the time that we are in:

DO YOU ATTEND CHURCH? WHY/WHY NOT?
    WHAT DO/DON'T YOU GET OUT OF CHURCH?
    WHAT DID/DIDN'T YOU GET OUT OF CHURCH?
    HOW COULD IT BE BETTER FOR THE CONGREGATION?

CD

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    My Sunday Ritual.......

Cedric asked: "DO YOU ATTEND CHURCH? WHY/WHY NOT?
    WHAT DO/DON'T YOU GET OUT OF CHURCH?
    WHAT DID/DIDN'T YOU GET OUT OF CHURCH?
    HOW COULD IT BE BETTER FOR THE CONGREGATION?"

As children, my grandparents made us go to a baptist church. Every Sunday morning we would wake up @4:30 to go hear the same speech, but to a different hymn. I can say the best thing about it was eating them grits with cheese, and some ham with eggs..Ummm.

At the church, I would witness 40-50ish Ladies with fancy hats, dressed up like Jackee' and cutting their eyes at the next sister who gave them any competition, and smacking their kids upside the head if caught nodding off...smh. I always wondered how Sister Greene, and Mother Ida could afford to give their offering twice, dress in pretty white gloves, and wear tailor-made two piece business suits.....then turn around and drive their Brougham/Eighty-eight back to the projects, and sit down to a sunday dinner of baked Mac & Cheese(barely any cheese), super soggy greens, thick dry cornbread that got saturated by the green juice, hamhocks and neck bones with shreds of meat on em', black-eyed peas, and some extra salty fried catfish, while their kids wore patched pants to school and lived off of top ramen and orange kool-aid throughout the week. Clearly, something was wrong...but hey, those were the days:smokin:

As a child, I would witness people getting baptized. What a scene!!! One time when I was 5, I tapped my mother on the thigh and said out loud: "Mommy, call 911, that preacher is drowning Sister Melba..that preacher is going to #ell!!"....Bwoy did I get the worst whoopin of my life in the bathroom:whip: .

There were moments of bliss in the church...sneaking to the drums, and piano.....bonding with children at Sunday School while singing "Father Abraham had many sons...",

There were also downsides. I was constantly anticipating Jesus to burst through the clouds..sandals, wearing a white sheet, looking noble with a crown on, and seated in a kings chair. I was forbidden to even think an "evil" thought.

There's not too much I "could've" gotten from a church..based on my current beliefs. This is certainly a process I would never put my daughter through.

I know religious folks will cling to their beliefs, regardless their Black reality slapping them in the face, but Black preachers could improve service if they would address Black issues outside of a tragedy such as Katrina or the tsunami. These congregations have much more power than they exert. If they can persuade Black folks to adore/worship the image of a white Jesus, imagine what they can accomplish once they take our issues into consideration. There are churches on every corner in ghettoes throughout America....the potentialities are endless.

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Brotha I have on many occassions explained my reasons for not attending church anymore. However, I will honor your questions.

There is not one but many reasons why I stopped. I will start with general things here and you can ask about specifics tomorrow when I am fully awake.

1. The bible is unreliable in every wy
    2. The behavior of christians and the circumstances of their lives does not support the idea that they have anything special
    3. The spirituality of my ancestors was violently suppresed by the church
    4. God continues to bless me

What I got out of church was an occassional emotional high punctuating one painful experience after the other. The last couple of times I attended, once to a bible study to see about helping the victims from New Orleans and once on Christmas day to support my baby neice who was being dedicated, the ignorance with which the ministers spoke made me cringe and reinforced my decision to stop.

Is what good for the congregation? My not being there?

4. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    I don't go to church simply because I wasn't feeling very empowered by the process. I'm not anti-church, but I have strongly come to feel that ANY religious/spiritual practice should TRULY and PRACTICALLY and POSITIVELY empower its practitioners on THIS plane. Though I've been temporarily 'inspired' in some churches, I haven't really encountered any religious leader who could practicalize (?) the information enough for me to consistently attend her/his congregation.

5. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29
    Hey CD.....

(1.) Yes I do attend church, Why: because I enjoy attending church.

(2.) What I get/got out of church is/was balance & hope. I started going to church at the age of 21, and I'm glad I did...cuz I was on road leading NO WHERE, and the joker was moving FAST.

(3.) I also got out of church the willpower to know that everything I was/is dealing with was/is temprol... and that things are subject to change within a matter of seconds. And just knowing that I am not alone in dealing with my issues seems to somehow make dealing just a tad easier.

(4.) Church could be better for the congeration if they/we did not put "Man" up on a higher level, and if the congeration accepts the fact that no one is perfect, and to know that we all are dealing with something including the Pastors/Ministers, they deal with the same issues we all deal with.

I also think if the congeration witness the ministers getting involved in the daily issues and the communities in which the church is located, they would honor and accept the ministers a lot more and not think they only want their money. Even tho the monies are used to pay the... Church Mortgage, Lights, Gas, Water, Tissue and soap for the restrooms, snacks that are given to the little children, the paper for the bulletins, ink cartridges, pens, pencils, extra bibles for those who don't have one...ummmm, what else...well I think you get the picture. All the money is not just paying a salary to the minister who, by the way, also has a family to feed, and need to keep a roof over his/her head.

Well... that's my take...thanks for askin CD.

6. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    When I was younger I use to go all the time.
    Catholic,baptist,christian, etc.
    I cannot stand the politics of it.
    Constant gossiping,and she's wearing this and she's wearing that dam fashion show ,homosexials leading church choirs,pastors sleeping with memebers of the congregation,collection plates being passed around 3-4 times and they tell you how much money you should give.
    People looking down on you asking you if you are saved and if so how do you know?(none of your dam business)
    Constantly praying over you, sorry but all spirits aint good spirits so whatever you got I don't want because i dont know where it came from.
    Why confess to a man when you can confess to a higher power?
    The preacher and his wife sharp as ever driving expensive cars sitting in those huge king and queen like chairs making a huge profit and doing very little for the community the church is in.

7. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Allow me to put my previous answers to these questions in a more updated format:

I do not attend the Christian Church, for many reasons.......The most of which is because I am not a Christian, and never will be so again. But also because I have seen first hand the spiritual and intellectual ineptitude that such a place creates and drowns our people in.

Absolutely nothing, save an emotional triggered response, which is about all that such a place garners.

I did not get what I was looking for from it, which was spiritual enlightenment. What I instead got is a feeling of intolerance and alienation from the congregation.

I honestly don't see how it can be, outside of trying to pour sugar on rotten fruit.

PEACE

8. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I go to church quite often. I enjoy church. What I like most is the comraderie and being a part of a large number of organized people. I don't tithe, no matter what. I don't believe everything the minister or anyone there says and in general, I don't take the "church" part too seriously. I think the "problem" with church comes in when people try to believe in other human beings or believe completely in what other human beings say.

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I never liked church, even as a child. It never made sense to me. When I used to attend I always left feeling confused and frustrated. Everything seemed so rehearsed. People would quote scriptures, but when you asked them what it meant, they couldn't tell you. It didn't make sense to keep doing something because that's the way you were raised. So I stopped going and began searching for something that was more spiritually enlightening. I don't have any ideas on ways to make church better for the congregation. I believe that we, each, have to find our own way and follow whichever path we feel comfortable with. For some Black people, church, as it is, works fine.

Queenie :spinstar:

10. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't go for certain reasons.

1. No religion can be proven (and I refuse to live my life based on any "belief"). If it can't be verified, I can't live my life based on it.
    2. Church is all about restrictions and fear, not teaching truth.
    3. The bible can't be verified by anyone. It's origins can't be verified. It's writers and creator can't be verified.
    4. Church-goers by and large (pastors and ministers included) are hypocrites.
    5. Church is all about talk...and no action
    6. Church is run by thieves and are manipulated by politics and money.

I think church is just used to control folks, not teach them. If your church makes you a better person, then I guess that's a good thing, but all in all I believe the church is nothing but confusion.