Attachments

Nia Maishani

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 22, 2001
Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
Occupation
Business Owner
Having a technical problem here. It may be my own computer that is making things difficult for me, but could someone please advise me on how to resolve my problem?

Lately, any attachment I try to open (particularly at the Spoken Word forum) opens differently from the way it did in the past. Previously, a Spoken Word file would simply open in the sound recorder, and I would hear it just fine. A picture would open as an image file, and I would view it just fine. Now however, each time I click on an attachment, I get this annoying green box that prompts me to select whether I wish to save it to a disk or open it from a certain location (the default is notepad). When I attempt to change the default from notepad to either "paint" for pictures or another program for sound files, it only gives me a limited list of programs from which to choose, and I can no longer open any of the spoken word sound files, and have to open the picture files in the paint program, which is bothersome. Any advice? Thank you in advance.

Nia M

Hello Nia ... I just opened the sound file mkhaya lo' left for $$RICH$$ in the spoken word forum and it played fine (beautiful by the way). The prompt that comes up, asking whether you want to save the file or open from current location, did come up for me too ... so I think that part is normal ... but your computer should automatically know which program to associate with what file type (as it has done in the past for you).

It seems that some settings may have been changed on your computer, and it isn't automatically recognizing what program is associated with what file type ... and is asking you to pick one (from that limited list) each time. The problem with that is that once you pick one, your computer automatically chooses it, even if it's wrong, rather than what it was doing previously (picking the proper program and automatically opening the file). If any of this makes sense at all.

The problem here is how do you reset those automatic program/file associations? I'm not really sure ... and then I could be way off in my troubleshooting as well.

I'm hoping Sherykah (or someone that knows) will see this thread and shed some light on it for us. In the meantime, I'll do a little searching to see if I can find the answer.

I'll be back.

Destee