Black Spirituality Religion : ATR & Priestess Committment - Opinions please

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by medusanegrita, May 27, 2010.

1. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I am still loosely associated with my Pagan/Wiccan group even though I've embraced atheism. We are a black pagan with no definitive spiritual direction and was exploring options, wicca being one of them. We met at a pagan picnic festival about 3 years ago.

So far all we be doing is getting together about once and month for social gathering and discussion on the different spiritual paths of Native American, Eastern, ATR (dogon, yoruba, and the sort). I been to a pagan festival, but so far I'm just a visitor, and I don't make a commitment to anything or any spiritual path.

Well the founder of my group was met a great lady who into eclectic ATR and doing priestess training. She has the information and mindset we need take a group to another level, like that of a 'cult' or spiritual group where do do an stuff like collective rituals and sorts. I'm going for the information and because I like the camaraderie of the group, but after writing this....
    I still maintain an interest in native/indigenous spiritual path but I'm not sure if I'm interested in eventually making a commitment to one. However, I could easily (more or less) be led in that direction.

So what do you think? If you have read any significant number of my threads and caught the spiritual slant of it (despite being atheist), do you think is a path I can adhere too? What does this path fulfill for you? What do they do? Are there common elements in in the ATR/Native American path and the priest/priestess?

2. awo dino

awo dino Well-Known Member MEMBER

carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    the question is, what are you looking for?
    if it's just comaraderie, join the bridge club.
    mixing and matching is a sure path to confusion. you can't just take a little a this, a little a that. works in the kitchen, but...
    wicca and Atr? oil and water.
    as you stated, "...We are a black pagan with no definitive spiritual direction..."
    no direction, what's the point?

3. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +866
    I can relate. Before adding on to Allah's 5% Nation of Gods and Earths,
    I was in a coven and practiced conjure-work...
    in addition to being a Christian.
    I had issues, no subscriptions!

4. medusanegrita

Ratings:
    +565
    Yeah, that's it, lol! I'm mildly interested in the 5% Nation GAE but that's only something I wanna play with... meaning experiment and see what the numbers are about but don't want to join it.

Wicca and ATR are not all that different overall. Both are nature and earth based religions that works with the earth-based spiritual elements. That's why I like them. And from what I'm told/read (though I'm sure you'll disagree) PAGAN is a umbrella term in which native spritualities fall under, including ATR, native american, eastern - basically anything not of the top 3 (Muslim, Christian, Jewish). They believe the power to change and manifest parts of your life lies within yourself, not from someone outside of it; that you can manipulate your physical and metaphysical world through ritual practice, spells, conjure work, and things of that sort.

The only major differences I see is in the different dieties. Wicca has it's Lord/Lady/Crone/Maiden/Warrior/Goddess and a few others while ATR has it's Legba/Orun/Nuter/Oya/Hathor and several others. So it's not so much oil and water as it is.... honey and castor oil... or something like that.

I think it's cool to take from different pieces as they suit you and put them together into something more fitting for each individuals that doens't want to make a committment to one spiritual path or iif one spiritual path doesn't seem to work and/or fulfill all your needs. There's things I like and things I don't like. People talk about how stupid it is to confess your sins to a priest but that's the one thing about Catholicism I like. I 'get' that even tho the rest of doesn't fit my needs or understanding.

'No direction, what's the point'
    Hell if I know. I get all sorts of dirctions and the path doesn't fit, but the journey is cool.

Anway, my group is on this new pathway, and I'm likely going to hang on and initiate (or ingratiate) myself into it, but I have no idea what were it will lead.

5. awo dino

awo dino Well-Known Member MEMBER

carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    Yes, sis, it's like I said, "What are you looking for?" That will guide you.

Cool. I wish you the best.

6. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +866

Well Allah's Nation is not a religion. In fact, one has to relinquish belief and belief in a mystery god. If you have questions or just want to build with an individual actively adding on and living out this culture, I'm available. We can meet in chat where I can give you my email.

Peace

7. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

This is incorrect.

this according to followers of Christianity and Islam, religions that came AFTER African spirituality. Besides pagan is latin for was country dweller,or villager so it dose not apply to Africans

incorrect, hollywood hocus pocus

You can do whatever you want, however any priest or priestess who initiates you into their sect with full knowledge of your intentions, is just straight lying to you and taking your money.

This not done in yoruba, or voudun you do not decided to leave what you do not like. People follow this way of life for 2 reasons: 1) they were BORN into it 2) they CALLED to do it. If you aren't 'feeling' a certain African religion then it is not for you... as I said, you can waste your money by consulting with priest/priestess of said following who will tell you what you want hear...it's all up to you

8. medusanegrita

Ratings:
    +565
    Amnat, although I thank you for the above post and would welcome you to expound on it, it would best if you didn't respond to my posts. I'm serious. Or don't respond to me directly or 'talk' to me. I can understand if we had a misunderstanding or disagreement and we are trying to ease back into a level of civility, respect, and discussion - but I tried to do that already, remember? And your blatant bias for black men or certain black men and against me caused you get all riled up and 'pissed off' at one my more benign postings for no other reason than whatever grudge you were carrying for another thread.

Now you want to try to ease back into civility and responding to each other without so much an apology or acknowledgement of our disagreement and animosity?

Nah, doesn't work. Chances are, as was just done in MsInterprets thread about Segregation, we gonna rile each other up again and you still can't admit or back up anything directly and result to the more petty and general.

It's the internet. People are so fond of saying 'it's just the intenet, why take it so serious' - but yet why do people have so much problem acknowleging a problem or misunderstanding and then trying to make amends for the crap going back and forth.... instead of just keeping crap going back and forth?

While I am trying hard to not speak to you, you have trouble doing the same. So you need to decide what works in your best interest - talk to me or don't. I prefer that you don't, but if that's a problem... then you need to learn how to deal when you get pissed off at what I said and go for an 'attack' in another thread. You are not my lover, so this arguing and then making up without talking ain't gonna fly.

I don't get any make-up sex outta this. And that's not stating that I'm gay or want you (puleese :rolleyes:), it means that's about the only way I can argue with somebody and then forgive them without an immediate acknowledgement and amend to our problems. Note I said 'immediate' - I still want and expect one later. \

But I want nothing from you except peace and quiet.

You should stick with making those posts/threads that don't mention me directly but says I'm crazy, gay, narcissistic, or sexually repressed. You seem good at that.. well not really...but I guess you need sumthin to do. And I won't bother you with those as long as my name and posts aren't in it.

9. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Well you can't have your cake and eat too..you disrespect Africa and Africans and in the same breath you are interested in the religion and tradition... doesn't make any sense. I can't tell you to stop mentioning AFRICA in your posts anymore than you can tell me to stop responding to your posts. So when you post incorrect information about my culture, my language, my tradition, and my religion on this board, I will respond. This isn't a game, i live it everyday.... and if Destee doesn't like me responding to you then she can ban me.

10. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Amnat and medusa can I get the two of you to call a truce? Please?