Science and Technology : Atom, ARM, and BS...a rant

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 30, 2009
Or rather
Why Netbooks(or whatever people want to call them)Suck

Sure, some people are very happy with their atombooks and atomtops, and if they like it, I luuurve it.

Do they beat your standard hungry, bloated beast?
SURE.
Would it be better to have more of them in use than beasts?
Absolutely!
Are they capable?
Sure. Sure.

Regardless, they aren't much better than your standard piece of junk. They are a total joke when viable, sensibly-designed ARM machines are NOT some fantasy or wild idea.

Pardon the rant, but it's kind of disgusting for someone to suggest these things are some kind of gift or advancement when they're basically like hybrid SUVs or like someone sawing off part of a Hummer and patting themselves on the back.

Again, I don't deny that many people are and can be served very well by these devices. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't be pointing at the pink elephant in the flipping room.

And another thing, they don't make quality pocket-protectors anymore!

urkel.jpg

Regardless, they aren't much better than your standard piece of junk. They are a total joke when viable, sensibly-designed ARM machines are NOT some fantasy or wild idea.

They are when ARM processes aren't supported by the most mainstream operating system on the market. ARM processes are great and have been performing very well in smartphones and other devices. They've had much more niche time than the giant known as Intel. Is Microsoft gonna port Windows (besides CE) to ARM? It's unlikely. For the most part, it'll have to be in netbooks that ship with Linux. Linux has to win the atom-based netbook (and smartphone w/ droid for a halo effect) to gain the support it needs so vendors can justify rolling out ARM netbooks. We also shouldn't forget VIA which could enter the competition under the same shift. It'll be interesting to see how the netbook and e-reader war plays out. It's been pretty clear that Intel and Microsoft don't want to lose and they've already started playing dirty.

They are when ARM processes aren't supported by the most mainstream operating system on the market.

What do you base your theory on?

Is Microsoft gonna port Windows (besides CE) to ARM? It's unlikely.

Micro$oft wanted to kill XP a while ago, and certainly didn't want to release Doze 7 when and how it did, so...

O/T

Don't you think your screen name is completely inappropriate?

What do you base your theory on?

Micro$oft wanted to kill XP a while ago, and certainly didn't want to release Doze 7 when and how it did, so...

O/T

Don't you think your screen name is completely inappropriate?

The "theory" is based on the fact that Windows (besides CE) doesn't support ARM. Netbooks are aimed at mostly casual everyday users and that's the OS of choice for now. Even if it's not XP which is immensely favored, the average consumer would try rather migrate to another Windows OS. Linux netbooks are selling quite well, and if they continue to grow -- there's a good chance for ARM. There's no incentive otherwise, especially when you consider the price points offered by Intel. Hopefully, conditions will change and there will be more options besides the atom.

As for my screen name, nope. I've used it on another forum (of a similar theme) and no one had a problem with it there. I don't see why it would be a problem here.

The "theory" is based on the fact that Windows (besides CE) doesn't support ARM. Netbooks are aimed at mostly casual everyday users and that's the OS of choice for now. Even if it's not XP which is immensely favored, the average consumer would try rather migrate to another Windows OS.

What is a "casual everyday user?" How is that defined exactly? How have you determined that their preferred OS is non-embedded Doze? How have you determined that this group is the target for these devices?

As for my screen name, nope. I've used it on another forum (of a similar theme) and no one had a problem with it there. I don't see why it would be a problem here.

The fact that no one has objected(or so you claim)doesn't make it okay. Wouldn't you agree? I mean surely you can think of another s/n.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back