Black Atheists : Atheists unveil Fla monument near Ten Commandments

Discussion in 'Atheist Study Group' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Congratulations on the first monument, but is this "tip for tat?" Nevertheless, Silverman makes a good point; especially in view of the so-called Christian attack:

Silverman said. "It is an attack, but it's an attack on Christian privilege, not an attack on Christians themselves, and not so much an attack on Christianity."

It also serves another function — a counter to the religious monument that the New Jersey-based group wanted removed. It's a case of if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
    American Atheists sued to try to have the stone slab with the Ten Commandments taken away from the courthouse lawn in this rural, conservative north Florida town best known for the prison that confines death row inmates. The Community Men's Fellowship erected the monument in what's described as a free speech zone. During mediation on the case, the atheist group was told it could have its own monument, too.
    ."
    View gallery
    [​IMG]
    David Silverman, president of American Atheists, stands on a Ten Commandments and says why he thinks …
    "We're not going to let them do it without a counterpoint," Silverman said. "If we do it without a counterpoint, it's going to appear very strongly that the government actually endorses one religion over another, or — I should say — religion in general over non-religion."

Atheists unveil Fla monument near Ten Commandments

[​IMG]
    STARKE, Fla. (AP) — A group of atheists unveiled a monument to their nonbelief in God on Saturday to sit alongside a granite slab that lists the Ten Commandments in front of the Bradford County courthouse.

STARKE, Fla. (AP) — A group of atheists unveiled a monument to their nonbelief in God on Saturday to sit alongside a granite slab that lists the Ten Commandments in front of the Bradford County courthouse.
    As a small group of protesters blasted Christian country music and waved "Honk for Jesus" signs, the atheists celebrated what they believe is the first atheist monument allowed on government property in the United States.
    http://news.yahoo.com/atheists-unveil-fla-monument-near-ten-commandments-195201537.html

Peace In,

2. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Remove both of them. That'd be something worth being proud over.

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    History just doesn't stop repeating itself, does it? This began with the priesthood of ancient Kemet and hasn't stopped yet!!!

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Sounds like you may be having a change of heart:), is that possible?

5. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    He's right though. Many people have many beliefs, what says that Christianity is the only one that is right.

Peace!

6. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I'm all for it myself. It is said that we have religious freedom in the country, but it depends on the religion. Before we are born, many of us begin our indoctrination into Christianity, we see it on a daily bases, god, this, and god that. It is even on the money we spend. So if this country is really about religious freedom, they shouldn't have a problem with this.

Peace!

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Neither of you addressed my question:

Congratulations on the first monument, but is this "tip for tat?" Nevertheless, Silverman makes a good point; especially in view of the so-called Christian attack

Let's have some dialog on the issues inside the article, is the monument tip for tat?

8. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Yeah, I just saw that as I re-read it.

I think it can bee seen as that, but me being an atheist, I can say that it is a sign of us getting tired of people of the faith shoving this in our face. look at what they are trying to get done in schools. They are trying to get books to say that the earth is only 10k years old so the bible will make sense. We are also saying that we have just as much of a right as Christians have to put a symbol of what we believe in up for all to see. Telling me that I have to believe in god, is the same as me telling you to disbelieve in god. But the Christians that knock on my door, or meet me in the street don't see it that way. So I think it's a bit of that, and more.

I have yet to have an atheist knock on my door, or stop me on the street, and ask me if I believe in god, then try and convince me to not believe in god.

Peace!

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Thanks for addressing my only concern here, your answer is an honest one and appreciated. Also, if you read me carefully, it wasn't right for Christians to do and say what was said they said. So now its even stephen, so to speak.

10. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Ah man. Any name but Stephen!