Africa : At least 1 trip to Africa

pdiane said:
Cedric, I posted this on another site but I am going to share with you my experience in Africa:

Wow (that means "yes" in Wolof).

Senegal is beautiful. It is a 90% Muslim country, very peaceful, no liquor stores, not a lot of crime, everday people. The beaches are prestine. I stayed on the beach one night with drummers and dances. I slept in a hut, and heard the ocean water back and forth. It was absolutely phenominal.

I went with my Senegalese dance teacher, Fatou, and her son. Her family was beautiful and loving. Not once did I hear of any ethnic issues because in Senegal, Islam and their traditional spiritual systems keep them, prayful, strong, and united.

There were some problems in a Casamance (Fatou's childhood village) , where I went and stayed for 3 days, by the way, but there has been peace there for a couple of years now. There was a welcoming party for Fatou and us there. We danced to the river with the whole village. Wow, wow.

Senegal is poor but spiritual. Family is extremely important. I stayed in Dakar the city and the village, both were wonderful. There are no elderly homes everyone takes care of each other. The babies are on the backs of all the family members. They are not allowed to cry without someone putting them on their backs. Senegal does not have a welfare system, so everyone takes care of each other. They eat from the same tray and the staple food is fish, chicken, rice, vegetables, mangos, pineapples and other fruits that are all around you. Entrepreneuship is the way of life. Selling something , bartering, and trading keeps income coming in.

All we did was hug and kiss one another. Afraka needs us and we need Afraka. I cannot speak for every country in Afraka, there are 55 but I could see myself in Senegal working in the schools, starting a telephone or cyber cafe business. Bringing our children there to learn the rich culture of our people would be a great as well. We had children from amerikkka with us and they did not want to come back. They were free, at peace, no violent incidents anywhere around us.

I met a number of African Americans who are educating their children there, who have built homes there and live there. Their children know 3 to 4 languages. I just found out the Charlie Titus, the UMass Athletic Director, built a home there.

I learned Wolof before I went to Senegal. I speak a little Wolof. They were were absolutely delighted. It was wonderful. "Dig" means hear and understand, "julee" means pray. "Dadit" means "no". We use the "d" sound for "th" words when we speak ebonics, I see why now.

We went to Goree Island, we cried, we hugged each other and it was so emotional. I could see the pain in our faces and the pain in their faces as well.

Afraka belongs to me. I don't care if some Afrakans don't want us there or do not think of us as Afrakans. There were times when the children in Casamance called me "toobob" meaning "white". but that is their ignorance, most of the people welcomed us home.

Do Afrakans want to come to amerikkka? Yes, some do but those that are here are dying to go home as well and I see why. As soon as they can afford to go they will go in a second.

The last night there, in Dakar, the whole community came out for a celebration called Tandameer, it was like the a street party that we used to have years ago. We sat in special chairs and the whole community drummed and danced for us. The women dressed in their finest, (which they do everyday anyway). They looked like queens. The men wore the African attire as well and we all danced together. Money was flying all over the place.

Amerikkka can't touch Afraka, this place is a diabolical mess. For those of us who choose to stay here. It is good. We need our people on all fronts. However, it is good to know that we have choices and I am out of here when I retire in 2-3 years.

Mark your calendars for July 2005, we are going back with Fatou, Insha Allah, God willing.

Peace.

Senegal is a 7 hour flight from New York. If you get you tickets early it could be $1000 or less.

That sounds so beautiful... almost like a fairy tale :fairy:
How long ago did you visit ?
I have always wanted to travel to west Africa, especially Senegal.
And although I know it will be a heartbreaking :crying: experience, I have
got to visit Goree Island ... I just feel like it would somehow bring closure to my soul.

I have a friend here from Nigeria. He travels to Africa every year. He just came back a few months ago. He has invited me and my family many times. I'm getting my passport first of next year. I have filled out the papers last month. I will see Africa and France soon.

Actually before Bush gets sworn in. I believe it will get harder to get if not impossible after that. Get yours If you never had one.

:danger: We may need them, to leave this mad place a while.

Cedric Denson said:
Hey Brothers-n-Sisters:

I believe that every brother and sister should take a least 1 trip to Africa to see what it is like, where they came from, get to know the way of life, meet the people, and so on.

I know that some of you have already been to Africa before. But do you believe that it is necessary to at least take 1 trip to Africa sometime in your lifetime?

I know I will as soon as I can find the money and time.

Cedric Denson

Thanks for the thread Cedric. The idea is a great one. Every black citizen should visit. Then we can say. When they say go back to Africa that was a great idea. It is a beutiful place and we are closer cousins and brothers because of your advice. :bullseye: :great:

Now someday isn't on the calender. I hear folks say this now, and ask this. Why don't you set a date?

If you miss that date there is no punishment of any kind.

Once you make a goal, or claim one, I believe GOD's hand comes into play. He hears and knows or needs. He hears this as a desire and fullfills the goal.

I have achieved things and were not doing all or any of the things to see it to fruitition. If it was trip, I saved what I could, but I have met folks ( they have came into my life ) that came thru and offered me some of my dreams without strings.

You can be working towards a goal, and may not realize you are doing things to attain it. But you must first make the claim.

I have found myself reaching goals I set, ( wishes I wanted like trips, education, or working for a particular company ) and really were not doing much consciously to achieve it Only to realize I was at the threshold of what I hoped for and needed. I have to say Thank GOD. I am truly blessed. He has never forsaken me.

A place i lone to visit and a dream i haven't fulfilled yet if life permit i will pay my visit
to the home Mother land just to walk on the soil will make my dream be true .
Thankz for a less costly way to make this happen soon for me .

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back