Black Women : At home birth or hospital birth

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by VirgoMistress, Oct 14, 2011.

1. VirgoMistress

VirgoMistress Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24
    Hello All!
    Which one have you experienced? When giving birth to your child did you have an at home birth with a midwife or doula? Did you give birth in a hospital? What was your experience like? Do you wish you have done one and not the other?
    I had my three children at a hospital and wished I could experience having my children in the home. My first child was a natural birth but the next two were not! As I am pregnant with my fourth child I am seeing alot about the benefits of an at home birth, one example being how the placenta is handled and disposed of and all the positive aspects that a placenta has. So I was wondering if there are any Sistars out there that had an experience with an at home birth and would like to share. Fathers are welcome to comment on their experience as well.

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    First and foremost...CONGRATS on the blessing!

I had my child in the hospital..
    LOL @my experience...well, it was in a hospital, so I had to stay there over night....And if anything I would have preferred to be in the comfort at my own home with my baby...They were in and out my room all night long, the hospital bed was so uncomfortable, there wasn't enough room for my visitors, and the food sucked...
    If you choose to do it in your home then I say that it would be much more comfortable, and more welcoming for the baby then in a hospital (The baby factory)...

Have you ever thought about a water birth?

3. VirgoMistress

VirgoMistress Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24
    I would love to have a water birth or my baby at home period, my only thing is pain lol! Contractions hurt! But Ive done some research and I have seen some brave women go through it naturally with no medication. I have even seen where women have orgasmic births! So Im just like how long does that take to even get to that point of overcoming the pain...for a long petiod of time! I want to be more natural with this birth! And thank you!

4. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I have no clue as to how long it takes to get over the pain....My guess would be that it depends on the woman herself.

My contractions were bad...but my mother had none.

5. noor100

noor100 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +566
    I know of a sister who had most of her 13 or 14 children at home,and wouldn't do it any other way...her husband was there sometimes to cut the umbilical cord.Strong sister...unlike myself.
    Many women are going back to midwives nowadays.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    oh gosh ... i can't imagine having a baby without all of the drugs, utensils, and intervention available at a hospital ... :eeek:

i admire your courage ... God Bless You and all the Babies! ... :toast:

:heart:

Destee

7. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    How'd I miss this?

I have no children. No, I'd never have a home-birth...because I've hypertension (which I've finally gotten uder control) and would likely develop preclampsia/eclampsia. I was pregnant with my ex-fiance's child and miscarried after a car crash at 14 weeks...but I did develop anemia.
    ...and these are just the potential red flags that I know of.

Wouldn't advise a homebirth for ANY woman unless she's 'low-risk', healthy and faithfully attends her prenatal appts....

What if you hemorrhage and need blood? What if it's a difficult labor and the baby gets 'stuck'...the baby's cord prolapses, or --> http://www.afesupport.org/
    This woman will go under entirely too fast and ambulance won't make to her house in time. You have about 5 minutes, from the time that CPR's initiated, to get that baby out of there...by c-section. Ve-ry few women survive this w/o neurological damage. Very few women survive.

I'd encourage all to look. The situation's a lot deeper than just 'Should I birth the baby in the tub or get a disposable one?'. It's about safety.
    Of course, I respect the midwives. They're fellow nurses. This comment isn't a slap against them. Know-how isn't the problem.
    ...point is, even the most knowledgeable midwife will fall short, if she lacks the equipment/tools to respond to every kind of condition or emergency that could possibly develop.

Once upon a time, women had homebirths...and mothers + babies were dropping like flies.
    There's a reason as to why the mother+ baby mortality rates aren't as high as they were 200, 100 or even 50 years ago.
    ...and a pret-ty good reason why certain conditions (like AFE) don't occur more often in developed countries like the US.

Medical Science.

So...homebirth? Nope.
    Wherever the opiods, emergency medical equipment and the OR ('in case of emergency cesarean') are?
    That's where I'll be.
    *laugh*