OldSoul : Assata Shakur's Letter to the Pope

Discussion in 'OldSoul' started by oldsoul, Dec 18, 2014.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +1,036
    Assata Shakur's Letter to the Pope
    Democracy Now! aired Shakur reading an open letter to the Pope. She wrote the message after New Jersey state troopers sent the Pope a letter asking him to call for her extradition from Cuba.

The FBI has added the former Black Panther Assata Shakur to its Most Wanted Terrorist List 40 years after the killing for which she was convicted. Born Joanne Chesimard, Shakur was found guilty of shooting dead a New Jersey state trooper during a gunfight in 1973. Shakur has long proclaimed her innocence and accused federal authorities of political persecution. She escaped from prison in 1979 and received political asylum in Cuba. On Thursday, she became the first woman added to the FBI's terrorist list and the reward for her capture was doubled to $2 million. We begin our coverage by airing Shakur's reading of an open letter she wrote to Pope John Paul II during his trip to Cuba in 1998 after the FBI asked him to urge her extradition. "As a result of being targeted by [the FBI program] COINTELPRO, I was faced with the threat of prison, underground, exile or death," Shakur said at the time. "I am not the first, nor the last, person to be victimized by the New Jersey system of 'justice.' The New Jersey State Police are infamous for their racism and brutality."

2. SuperCerebralgal

SuperCerebralgal Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    OMG! I was just going to create a thread about her!

How ironic that I've been randomly reading her and Angela Davis' autobiographies within the last week and then Boom. This happens. Cuba and US mend relations. My stomach drops

I'm so profoundly concerned for her well being... I pray to God this sistah finds a safe haven elsewhere soon

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,874
    There is a thread on here about Obama opening talks with Cuba. I wonder if her extradition will be a part of some deal. Or if we do achieve a working relation with Cuba, I suspect these Jersey cops will have a better chance to get their hands on her. I hope she doesn't have to seek safety elsewhere, I don't trust politicians.

Peace!

4. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,874
    What ticks me off is this sista, has to plead to a white man, in a different country that has nothing to do with this for her continued freedom.

This just goes to show the power that is given to the Pope. And it's BS, The Vatican won't let any head of state tell it what to do.

Peace!

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,814

More than likely, sister Assata will not be extradited as a result of this deal. Obviously, charging her as a terrorist on the Ten Most Wanted list was trumped up to assist in her extradition, which failed.

The Castro bros are bound by international law and sister Assata is now on that platform, i.e., Eldridge Cleaver. There are no known treaties or agreements between Cuba and the United States to relieve the asylum granted her. All countries participate and respect each others right of asylum, couched again, in international law. The US grants asylum, along with other countries.

Cuba swapped 3 spies and America's 1 spy and Alan Gross. The real benefit and reason for this recent relationship with Cuba is economical, in that, there are talks of lifting the trade embargo, after 50 years.

Peace In my friend,

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  6. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,874
    Thanks brutha... I could hear the fear in here voice and that sadden me. It made me mad also, the Us is going after her, but is turning it's head on the thieve that crashed this country. They know very well that what she's saying was happening back then, because it's going on to this very day. When she said how she was shot, put me in mind of Mike Brown.

Peace!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,814

Not a problem bro. Enki, no, not at all, yvw ... The point you make concerning Snowden is well taken and on point. Snowden is far more embarrassing then sister Assata, and there has been no attempt to have him extradited, as far as I know.

As you well know, these atrocities we are suffering in the Diaspora will continue as long as we remain divided and fail to organize ourselves in the manner spoken of by bro. Malcolm X.

Peace In my friend,

8. SuperCerebralgal

SuperCerebralgal Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Right!?? My mouth dropped when I read how she was shot! Unfortunate how history repeats itself

I wonder how she felt watching this Mike Brown fiasco go down in the news

9. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,874
    You just know it brought up past memories, and maybe even some regret that she's not able to show her support. This is just one more example of America's double standard when it comes to race. Do you remember last year when white America, and I know a few ignorant blacks were mad at Obama because the rapper Common performed at the White House? They were mad because he made a song about our dear sista. But I didn't hear not one peep when Bush invited Jonny Cash, and Bono. Because they both did the same thing as Common, except is was for somebody white.

Peace!

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,814

As it relates to the highlighted portion of your post, here's the first sign, as weak as it is, showing intent of the DOJ (Department of Justice) to continue seeking Assata's extradition:

These American Fugitives May Be Hiding Out in Cuba

[​IMG]

(ABC News)

Cuba has been a haven for American fugitives for decades, but now that the two countries are restoring diplomatic relations their hideout might not be an option much longer.

"We will continue to press for the return of U.S. fugitives in Cuba to pursue justice for the victims of their crimes in our engagement with the Cuban government," the Department of Justice said in a statement emailed to ABC News.
    http://news.yahoo.com/american-fugitives-may-hiding-cuba-222523358--abc-news-topstories.html

These American Fugitives May Be Hiding Out in Cuba

Former prisoner Alan Gross was thrilled to return to America from Cuba earlier this week but there are dozens of other Americans who are in the country for other reasons -- and probably don't plan on leaving.Cuba has been a haven for American...
    yahoo.com

Here's the thing, unless a treaty or agreement is reached between Cuba and the United States, Assata is safe where she is. No one knows the extent to which relations will be normalized between Cuba and the U. S. The Republicans will probably push back on lifting the trade embargo, leaving Mr. Obama to executive orders. I don't see this strained relationship, in the foreseeable future, agreeing to release sister Assata.

Let's keep our eyes open though.