Black People : Assata Shakur's Letter to the Pope

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Dec 18, 2014.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Assata Shakur's Letter to the Pope
    Democracy Now! aired Shakur reading an open letter to the Pope. She wrote the message after New Jersey state troopers sent the Pope a letter asking him to call for her extradition from Cuba.

The FBI has added the former Black Panther Assata Shakur to its Most Wanted Terrorist List 40 years after the killing for which she was convicted. Born Joanne Chesimard, Shakur was found guilty of shooting dead a New Jersey state trooper during a gunfight in 1973. Shakur has long proclaimed her innocence and accused federal authorities of political persecution. She escaped from prison in 1979 and received political asylum in Cuba. On Thursday, she became the first woman added to the FBI's terrorist list and the reward for her capture was doubled to $2 million. We begin our coverage by airing Shakur's reading of an open letter she wrote to Pope John Paul II during his trip to Cuba in 1998 after the FBI asked him to urge her extradition. "As a result of being targeted by [the FBI program] COINTELPRO, I was faced with the threat of prison, underground, exile or death," Shakur said at the time. "I am not the first, nor the last, person to be victimized by the New Jersey system of 'justice.' The New Jersey State Police are infamous for their racism and brutality."

2. SuperCerebralgal

SuperCerebralgal Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +43
    OMG! I was just going to create a thread about her!

How ironic that I've been randomly reading her and Angela Davis' autobiographies within the last week and then Boom. This happens. Cuba and US mend relations. My stomach drops

I'm so profoundly concerned for her well being... I pray to God this sistah finds a safe haven elsewhere soon

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    There is a thread on here about Obama opening talks with Cuba. I wonder if her extradition will be a part of some deal. Or if we do achieve a working relation with Cuba, I suspect these Jersey cops will have a better chance to get their hands on her. I hope she doesn't have to seek safety elsewhere, I don't trust politicians.

Peace!

4. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    What ticks me off is this sista, has to plead to a white man, in a different country that has nothing to do with this for her continued freedom.

This just goes to show the power that is given to the Pope. And it's BS, The Vatican won't let any head of state tell it what to do.

Peace!

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

More than likely, sister Assata will not be extradited as a result of this deal. Obviously, charging her as a terrorist on the Ten Most Wanted list was trumped up to assist in her extradition, which failed.

The Castro bros are bound by international law and sister Assata is now on that platform, i.e., Eldridge Cleaver. There are no known treaties or agreements between Cuba and the United States to relieve the asylum granted her. All countries participate and respect each others right of asylum, couched again, in international law. The US grants asylum, along with other countries.

Cuba swapped 3 spies and America's 1 spy and Alan Gross. The real benefit and reason for this recent relationship with Cuba is economical, in that, there are talks of lifting the trade embargo, after 50 years.

Peace In my friend,

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  6. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    Thanks brutha... I could hear the fear in here voice and that sadden me. It made me mad also, the Us is going after her, but is turning it's head on the thieve that crashed this country. They know very well that what she's saying was happening back then, because it's going on to this very day. When she said how she was shot, put me in mind of Mike Brown.

Peace!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

Not a problem bro. Enki, no, not at all, yvw ... The point you make concerning Snowden is well taken and on point. Snowden is far more embarrassing then sister Assata, and there has been no attempt to have him extradited, as far as I know.

As you well know, these atrocities we are suffering in the Diaspora will continue as long as we remain divided and fail to organize ourselves in the manner spoken of by bro. Malcolm X.

Peace In my friend,

8. SuperCerebralgal

SuperCerebralgal Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +43
    Right!?? My mouth dropped when I read how she was shot! Unfortunate how history repeats itself

I wonder how she felt watching this Mike Brown fiasco go down in the news

9. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    You just know it brought up past memories, and maybe even some regret that she's not able to show her support. This is just one more example of America's double standard when it comes to race. Do you remember last year when white America, and I know a few ignorant blacks were mad at Obama because the rapper Common performed at the White House? They were mad because he made a song about our dear sista. But I didn't hear not one peep when Bush invited Jonny Cash, and Bono. Because they both did the same thing as Common, except is was for somebody white.

Peace!

10. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    This was not a "plea" to the Pope of the Roman Catholic Empire, but counter-propaganda.
    ...or "COCOINTELPRO"

"I am not writing to ask you to intercede on my behalf, I ask nothing for myself"

In response to the COINTELPRO propaganda to attempt and exploit the Roman Catholic image of "goodness" from the US of A Inc., Assata presents a reprisal to their argument as to why they think the Pope should assist them in righteousness.

But as I listened, I could hear someone somewhere in the background yelling:

"If they OBEYED His commandments many of them wouldn't be there"

Yea Assata, if you just obey the commandments, you would be able to return to Good Old America
    (sarcasm, for those that don't catch on well)

Her and Sister Angela Davis took separate paths, and Assata's lore is more intriguing because her story continues while Davis has already written her book so to speak.

We know Jada Pinkett-Smith took on the task of a well done video documentary of Angela Davis and other political prisoners in "Free Angela and All Political Prisoners", but what struck me about the documentary is that it didn't even whisper the name Assata Shakur.

[​IMG]

Wonder if that's a major no-no?

Again, this was a well-done documentary that centered around Davis and a few others, but is there some "law" that would have prevented anyone from publishing or possessing any affects attributed to a labeled "Terrorist"?

Below is an excerpt from
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/10/solitary-confinement-shane-bauer

California officials frequently cite possession of black literature, left-wing materials, and writing about prisoner rights as evidence of gang affiliation. In the dozens of cases I reviewed, gang investigators have used the term "[BGF] training material" to refer to publications by California Prison Focus, a group that advocates the abolition of the SHUs; Jackson's once best-selling Soledad Brother; a pamphlet said to reference "Revolutionary Black Nationalism, The Black Internationalist Party, Marx, and Lenin"; and a pamphlet titled "The Black People's Prison Survival Guide." This last one advises inmates to read books, keep a dictionary handy, practice yoga, avoid watching too much television, and stay away from "leaders of gangs."

The list goes on. Other materials considered evidence of gang involvement have included writings by Mumia Abu-Jamal; The Black Panther Party: Reconsidered, a collection of academic essays by University of Cincinnati professor Charles Jones; pictures of Assata Shakur, Malcolm X, George Jackson, and Nat Turner; and virtually anything using the term "New Afrikan." At least one validation besides Pennington's referenced handwritten pages of "Afro centric ideology."

It remains the case to this day that inmates found in possession of "Black Panther-related" literature or imagery can been placed in solitary confinement. The reasoning is murky and prison officials point to gang activity as impetus to isolate inmates in possession of these artifacts.

To this reason is why I think they labeled Assata a "Domestic Terrorist" in 2005, as it created a National system to avoid materials coming from her entering into the US of A Inc.

Placing her on their Most Wanted list in 2013 was another strategic move.

If they bring Assata in under the "Obama administration", it would say a lot about certain ideas held by some.