Black Relationships : Asking a Woman’s Father For Her Hand In Marriage

I think what is more meaningful is if the father and possible future son-in-law take time to actually get to know each other first. I am grateful that I got to know my wife's father before he passed away from lung cancer. I feel he was able to move on in peace when he told me he felt she made a very good choice in a husband. I know I would personally like to have that same sort of feeling of peace towards my daughter's future husband. I hope and pray that she chooses wisely, and that she remembers the lessons I have taught her on how to judge a person's character. A young man asking me for my daughter's hand in marriage would be one small positive indicator into the type of character her suitor possess.

I think what is more meaningful is if the father and possible future son-in-law take time to actually get to know each other first. I am grateful that I got to know my wife's father before he passed away from lung cancer. I feel he was able to move on in peace when he told me he felt she made a very good choice in a husband. I know I would personally like to have that same sort of feeling of peace towards my daughter's future husband. I hope and pray that she chooses wisely, and that she remembers the lessons I have taught her on how to judge a person's character. A young man asking me for my daughter's hand in marriage would be one small positive indicator into the type of character her suitor possess.

I agree. You should establish a relationship first, if possible. But still, go that extra step. My Dad was in the hospital when my beau made his declaration. The man who understands the unique dynamic between a Father and daughter, will earn mad cool points with this easily accomplished task... not just with Dad, but also with his lady.

I was very proud that day. I thought the gesture was courageous, thoughtful, respectful, and romantic.

I agree. You should establish a relationship first, if possible. But still, go that extra step. My Dad was in the hospital when my beau made his declaration. The man who understands the unique dynamic between a Father and daughter, will earn mad cool points with this easily accomplished task... not just with Dad, but also with his lady.

I was very proud that day. I thought the gesture was courageous, thoughtful, respectful, and romantic.

The past is just that...

Good luck with coping in the present too!!

fyi

*sigh*

The census and several noted studies, some of which I have posted in threads here, state that >60% of babies overall are born oow. I have also mentored and founded a large mentoring program. These are the facts. Moreover, the last such study stated that 70% of females will end up alone and ~40% will never have had anyone to call their own. Ask the 20 somethings you know, how many have ever been in love? The response will be quite telling. You said as much yourself, when you agreed that "casual dating and the hook up" have become the norm. You dot get to ignore this

That is not the same as not knowing who your Father is.....

The past is just that...

Good luck with coping in the present too!!

fyi

Good luck to you too, Chuck!

This doesn't much pertain to me at this point in my life. Except I still have ongoing dialogue with my son about integrity and values. We have to accept the fact that young people today dance to a different rhythm than we do. But, I think some traditions are worth preserving.

*smile*

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back