Pan Africanism : As A People, What Do We Really *Want* Out Of The West???

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by ShemsiEnTehuti, Oct 3, 2006.

1. ShemsiEnTehuti

ShemsiEnTehuti Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32
    I have recently posted a book review for From "Superman" To Man by J.A. Rogers (in Book Review section) constructed almost entirely of questions the book forces the reader to think about.

[SCANNED BOOKCOVER...]
    http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7135/fromsupermantomanjarogersxj9.jpg

With all the prejudices that the African has fought hard against both physically and ideologically in the West, the time is long overdue for us to determine as a people exactly what we want. In this work, Rogers wrote emphatically that he wants "to be an American, without being hyphenated". That is, to not be considered a Black-American or African-American, but simply an American. Is this what we want, to simply be an unhyphenated American?

The reason I present this question to all is because in recent decades, progressive strides of the African have diminished almost all together. I think that progress requires focus. What is our focus? Do we want integration into our respective Western societies, do we want repatriation to Africa with restitution to African lands, reparations in the form of our own separate land to create our own Diasporic country with provided restitution from Western nations (U.S.), or simply a check sent to all the African persons and entities effected by the African Maafa? I feel that this question needs to be collectively answered if we wish to see any further progress from our great fallen leaders of past and emerging leaders of today.

So again I will ask...As A People, What Do We Really *Want* Out Of The West???

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    as a people...

i don't think we know what we want,we can never make up our minds about what to call ourselves[black-afro-american-black american-african american]my theory is if you're born there then that's your home for better or worst,i was born in america so that makes me an american.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Quite simply, I will go to the Commodore's song from the early 70s..."Gimme my Mule, Please"....and I will take the 40 acres along with it.

Last month I went down to Atlanta, Texas with an uncle who bought a 3 1/2 acre lot across his in-laws who have a 7 acre parcel. He has closing the deal and then getting the lot ready to place a mobile home.

10 acres between two familes is quite a substantial parcel. Combine that with his 12 brothers and sisters, 3 acres. each and you have 36 acres.

Subdivide 40 acres, I could fit 12 more families, comfortably.

If those twelve families owned 40 acres each thats over 400 acres.

Multiply that by no less than 30 million African-american families we are talking about a substantial, extensive area of real estate.

This is a starting point which some of my family has a vision of after working for years in the school system out west and are resettling in the Deep South.

I do not expect the "West" to give us anything but all I actually would ask for is to leave us alone, those of us who decide to cooperate with each other and go our own way.

4. ShemsiEnTehuti

Ratings:
    +32

I agree with most of what you say; only that, do you not think that given the only reason this country is so rich and more advance than its international peers is because it got hudreds of years of slave labor from us? Do you not think that at as a bare minimum we should get Sherman's Promise, that is, today's equivalent of "40 acres and a mule" for each African family in America. Then they should leave us alone to do our own thing. I personally would feel even worse than I do now about it if I just left this country without getting the bare minimum due to my ancestors or if we actually had to buy our 40 acres from Whites when it is due. I am all for ownership of our communities, but if we are talking about purchasing land on a large scale from this White government, I would rather repatriate to an African nation and invest the money there.

All I want is the independent opportunity to have our own independent Diasporic nation, perhaps a strip of land on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico with our own sovereignty.

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Again brother, You asked a question and I responded based upon my own perspective. I have no problem with what you are suggesting but personally I and other family members are not waiting for reparations or any other scheme dependent upon the government. We are in the process of buing land, in various states, and pooling our resources. And this land is not being purchased from the "White government". It is being acquired through "private enterprise". It is a tradition we have followed since the 1890s and one that some of us shall continue whether other Blacks cooperate with us or not.

6. ShemsiEnTehuti

Ratings:
    +32
    I am not saying to wait around for the government to buy land bro. I certainly encourage us to own our communities instead of our current predicament. I am trying to get a grip on what African-Americans collectively want, not necessarily your personal ambitions. It just seems like a decision is emminent for us to make about what we need to do in the West. Do we want to integrate, assimilate (die out), implement collective economic actions to build our own society constructs, demand reparations, or otherwise? This is the collective question we need to answer pretty soon.

7. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I understand the question, however, I think that as things stand, it's not possible to get a 'collective' answer because most AAs do NOT consider themselves a part of a collective. I think that many white people 'think' we think alike and do things pretty much the same BUT we are far from the same.

I know it's difficult to face for some, but IMO, the ONLY thing that most AAs have in common is a common enemy. There is SO MUCH diversity among AAs and so much diversity among black people worldwide also. I find though that some of us think that we are of the same or a similar mindset. We are not. Also, keep in mind, we don't have any leaders to bring together all of those mindsets into a mental melting pot.

I travel quite a bit and I mingle with people on all levels and I talk a lot with them. They don't know what I'm after, but actually I'm trying to find out their values or what's most important to them. They ALWAYS talk about their problems. (This is true for all people--not just blacks.) However, the diversity in the mindset of our folks is amazing because it's based on their experiences and those of the people who surround them in their communities and all of these communities are different in key ways. For ex. what a black person in Cleveland, Tennessee wants is VERY different than what a black person in Somerset, NJ wants--EXCEPT they both want more MONEY.

Aside from money, many black people (in lower-income areas) complain about the 'stupid-acting' black folks around them. Yes, they know racism is a problem, but they're more focused on the Negro in the neighborhood who is trying to get over on them in some way or the ones who are "acting out" in some way around them. Many black people therefore want to get away from certain types of other black people. So, they want money so they can move.

Middle and upper income black people tend to want more money and to be better able to take advantage of opportunities.

8. ShemsiEnTehuti

Ratings:
    +32

Let's be real here. There is no collective group of people who all think the same, Black, White, East Asian, or otherwise. However, Whites made a conscious decision to enslave African people and rape its continent (African Maafa & Berlin Conference of 1885). Before that, Arab Muslims & converted (by sword) African Muslims made a collective decision to enslave us in perhaps the most brutal way, and were the first to sell us to the Europeans. We are in a world now where our mother nations in Africa are closer to independence from Europe, and we have more opportunities today in America than ever. In America, nearly all groups of people (Jews, Koreans, etc.) are making tremendous strides for their collective self-sufficiency except us. Even the Latinos are mandating legislation through Congress when often times Mexicans, Cubans and Puerto Ricans hate each other and will show utter contempt for people who confuse them together.

I realize that "everyone does not have the same mindset", and it is actually a good thing that people don't. However, we either have to make a collective decision, or die out (from assimilation or our sustained status in society as mere economic animals.

9. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18

Okay, but think about each of those groups and ask yourself what do those groups have that AAs don't have? They have a CULTURE which is an extremely valuable thing to have. Of all that AAs were robbed of, our culture was the most valuable possession taken and this is why we can't solve many of our problems and meet many of our needs. Most of the individuals in each of those groups share and practice much of the folkways of their respective culture and/or have great respect for the language and customs of their group. Their culture fosters solidarity and when there is a need for them to come together, their cultural solidarity is tapped. The folkways of the culture that AAs did have have almost disappeared in many parts of the country and most younger AAs have no idea that these folkways ever existed.

There was a black female professor at the Univ. of Pittsburgh who I saw on a VHS a few years ago who presented a strong case for AAs acquiring a culture. She ended by saying that IF AAs don't acquire a culture--even a hybrid one--for most of us to coalesce around, we will be sitting at the back of the bus again within 200 years.

10. ShemsiEnTehuti

Ratings:
    +32

I agree, culture is perhaps the most important thing. I think this is why there is so much emphasis by Pan-Africanists on African culture, in particular Kemetic culture whether it is viable or not. Either way, a decision has to be made, where even indecision is a decision to die out. Since you recognize that culture is the predominant problem, what solution do you propose?

P.S. Do you know the name of the professor at the University of Pittsburgh. I went there for my bachelors and graduate degree in engineering. Was she out of the Africana Studies Department?