Black People : Arrest of Princeton’s Dr. Imani Perry causes outrage and backlash

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Lrae, Feb 11, 2016.

?

Is this really a situation that involves the race card ?

1. Nah, she just tripping cause she's a "professor"

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yeah, they dogged her out because she's black

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Lrae

Lrae Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +134
    [​IMG]

Princeton Professor Imani Perry is protesting against an arrest during a traffic stop last Saturday (Feb 6). Dr.Perry says she was discriminated against my two white police officers because of her race; she ended up handcuffed to a table at the local police station.

The professor of African-American studies was allegedly driving at 67 miles per hour in a 45 mph zone, at around 9:30 am. So when the two officers—a man, and a woman—stopped her, they found that her driving privileges were suspended, and a warrant was issued for her arrest for two unpaid ticket violations stemming from 2013.
    http://rollingout.com/2016/02/11/841950/

http://www.vibe.com/2016/02/black-princeton-professor-imani-perry-arrest/

Here is her complaint.

Yesterday, on my way to work, I was arrested in Princeton Township for a single parking ticket three years ago…

— Imani Perry (@imaniperry) February 7, 2016

The police refused to allow me to make a call before my arrest, so that someone would know where I was…

There was a male and a female officer, but the male officer did the body search before cuffing me and putting me in the squad car.

I was handcuffed to a table at the station.

“We already know it IS the standard protocol for people in poor Black, Indigenous, and Latino communities to experience disproportionate police surveillance, harassment, violence, and punishment,” she wrote. “That is the graver injustice. I’m asking you to understand that my experience, and my feelings, are directly and intimately tied to that larger truth. We unquestionably have a serious problem with policing in this society.”

What are your thoughts on Dr. Perry’s claims? IDK, but the comments from the YT folk in response to her post definitely indicate some deep racial tensions out there.....

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    she was speeding on a suspended license and had a warrant.......black privilege?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Enjoyed Enjoyed x 1
    • List
  3. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    she had a warrant - so unless they beat her down or worse nothing to see here...........welcome to the real world

4. MS234

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    Doing 67 in a 45 is very noticeable lol

If she wasn't speeding......................

5. MS234

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
  6. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    She's right that.. minor traffic violations should be decriminalized.. not paying tickets should not result in body searches.. or being handcuffed to tables.

She's wrong to play the race card. The cops were doing their job. She knew she hadn't paid those tickets.. and the same triflin that led to neglecting to take care of her business for 3 years.. is the same triflin that's trying to invoke the black injustice engine. I would use a metaphor about "crying wolf" but I don't want to confuse Kemetstry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

I thought it was over one unpaid ticket? Plus, Though she may in fact feel privileged because of her education and standing, similar to a certain professor who forgot his keys, this does not mean she wasn't discriminated against. Lets not get into, your uptown inconvenience doesn't compare to what we go thru in the hood. The reason so many whites are involved in this is because, everyone can relate to being stuck by the man

8. MS234

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    lol @ kem

and she was doing a 67 and in a 45

begging to be stopped lol

9. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    ....while half nekkid

10. Lrae

Lrae Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +134
    I agree! She clearly has no idea what real racial discrimination involves at the hands of police. Racial profiling, excessive force and disproportionate sentences are REAL problems that this appears to make light of... unless of course she has proof that a yt professor under the same circumstances was treated differently.,,,guess what?
    White professor says Princeton cops treated her 'really nice' for same violation as Imani Perry
    http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/...really-nice-for-same-violation-as-imani-perry

Fine is a white woman and Professor Perry is a black woman.

As Fine recalls the experience, the police seemed to go out of their way to be helpful, even though she was being arrested.

The policewoman said she did not want to frighten her or her son, recalled Fine. She doesn't remember being patted down by either police officer. The police drove Fine and her son to his school where they dropped him off. Then they took her down to the Princeton police station.

“As we’re driving, she says ‘I’m really supposed to cuff you, but I’m not going to do that unless my chief sees me,’” Fine recalled of her conversation with the policewoman. A male officer was present at her arrest but did not accompany her to the station. Both officers were white.

“They were really nice to me and never cuffed me,” Fine said. “It was like they were slightly embarrassed.”

"Fine says she supports Perry raising the issue of possible racial bias during her arrest and called her actions courageous. “She has a lot to lose as a professor,” Fine said. “When you speak out and you talk about race and you’re black, everybody treats you like you’re a sore loser.”

• Like Like x 1
    • True True x 1
    • List