Black People Politics : Army's New Hair Guidelines Spark Backlash

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by RAPTOR, Apr 2, 2014.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    By Elise Solé, Shine Staff

[​IMG]

The U.S. Army is catching heat for encroaching on unfamiliar territory: beauty routines.

On Monday, it released a memo titled Regulation 670-1, which outlines
    new appearance guidelines for men and women that some say discriminate
    against female African-American troops.Those updates have quickly spurred
    some heated backlash, as well as a petition, posted to the White House
    website,
    urging for changes to the rules "to allow professional ethnic
    hairstyles. As of Wednesday had received more than 7,400 signatures.
    Petitions require 100,000 signatures in order to receive a response from the
    White House.

The petition, created by an Army sergeant named Jasmine Jacobs of the
    Georgia National Guard, specifically takes issue with the fact that, under the
    new rules, hair twists (defined by the Army as “two distinct strands of hair
    twisted around one another to create a rope-like appearance”) and
    dreadlocks are not authorized. Multiple braids and cornrows are OK, as long
    as they’re bigger than a quarter of an inch in diameter. Women with banned
    hairstyles do have the option of covering them with wigs and hair extensions,
    but that's not ideal, either. The idea is that by having neater hairstyles,
    headgear can fit more easily.

https://shine.yahoo.com/shine-beaut...american-black-female-soldiers-222844462.html

2. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,321
    Everything in this country steers towards what's convenient for caucasians, their lifestyle, their wants and desires, and that's usually most inconvenient, unwanted, and undesired for everyone black and their lifestyle.

No surprise at all. Yet, they're always surprised when blacks say they don't feel at all apart of this society. Caucasians are concerned for themselves, so we shouldn't expect much from them.

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,147
    Hair length and style has always been regulated by the military. This may be a loser. They can try though

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    The article says 36% of the black women wear their hair natural. Planned discrimination against natural hairstyles is, mos def, a situation that needs to be protested AND overturned.

5. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I'm not going to pretend to care about U.S. Soldier Problems: White or Black.

What's more it's my understanding that the U.S. Army cuts off men's hair. As Kemetstry put it, they have been limiting styles from jump.

Personally, I don't see why a Black person would want to join a Military that uses them to exploit Black Countries but I'm obviously not going to cry about Black puppets being unable to style themselves how they please.

6. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    if u fight for this country then u subjugate urself to their rules...
    just like if u become a cop...
    it's a discriminatory practice but we have more pressing issues for blacks that are not actively helping this system of oppression...

one love
    khasm

7. Deacs

Deacs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +567
    The problem is utility. I understand people wish to wear a platitude of hair styles, but not all of them are suited for the way of military life.
    For instance, if you have to get a gas mask on, you need to be able to create a proper seal, some may play a hard time in sealing them and then you are enjoying the smell of almonds
    another is if you are an airborne or air assault soldier, just like when rings get caught and pulls your finger out of socket or worse, imagine if long hair gets caught in the static line.

Hair styles for women have been moderated across the board... you are not going to see many with long hair that are not able to be placed in a bun or kept at shoulder length.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686

:hello: Deacs ... have we spoke before, have you been welcomed? ... if not ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :wave:

I agree with your response ... :toast1:

Oftentimes (and usually) there are legitimate reasons for rules, policies, procedures, requirements, etc.

We all abide by them to some degree or another, evidenced by our freedom to post on the Internet.

To diminish those that abide in one place (the military), while ignoring self doing the same elsewhere, is shortsighted.

We all abide. If that's what the job requires, then that is what the job requires. Don't like it? Find another job.

It's reasonable that one's hair could create a safety issue in some circumstances. I'd imagine this is one.

If my daughter was in the military ... i'd want her to do everything she could to stay safe ... cut it bald if necessary.

Deacs ... thanks for joining us and sharing!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    lol @ beauty routines ... in war ... :mirror:

don't nuth'n sound rite about that

:heart:

Destee

10. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    In 1989 I was an E-5 in the navy. My ship pulled in to the Philippines. As we started going on liberty the officer of the deck (a Lt JG) started detaining Black sailors because of what he called faddish haircuts. When I approached and asked what was going on he told me get with that group of men (the black sailors) I asked why and he barked get your *** over there. That never worked on me and the brothers were already telling me it was because of our haircuts. In the eighties we already were in compliance because we wore low cut fades. The problem is it looked good on us. The same cut on a white sailor was called high and tight. I walked past the group of men and went to the command master chief and told him what was going on. The day before this incident he had given most of the men in the group an outstanding on personal appearance. He quickly handled the situation and let everyone go.

This was a temporary fix because many of the officers had the same opinion about our haircuts. They would hold us up when we were leaving the ship and conduct so called inspections on our haircuts. I got about fifteen brothers to shave our heads in protest. The captain of the ship called me to his office and we talked about the situation. He tried to threaten me but I was prepared. I simply placed three business cards on his desk. 1 was the San Diego Monitor 2 voice and view point (both Black news papers) and 3 NAACP. He got my point and put out a memo telling the officers to back off. I still do the bald look today.