Black People : Arizona: First Immigration, now ethnic studies

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SPEAKFREEDOMnet, May 12, 2010.

1. SPEAKFREEDOMnet

SPEAKFREEDOMnet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +147
    PHOENIX – Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed a bill targeting a school district's ethnic studies program on Tuesday, hours after a report by United Nations human rights experts condemned the measure.

State schools chief Tom Horne, who has pushed the measure for years, said a Tucson school district program promotes "ethnic chauvinism" and racial resentment toward whites while segregating students by race.

"It's just like the old South, and it's long past time that we prohibited it," Horne said.

The measure prohibits classes that advocate ethnic solidarity, that are designed primarily for students of a particular race or that promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group. It also prohibits classes that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government.

The Tucson Unified School District program offers specialized courses in African-American, Mexican-American and Native-American studies that focus on history and literature and include information about the influence of a particular ethnic group.

For example, in the Mexican-American Studies program, an American history course explores the role of Hispanics in the Vietnam War, and a literature course emphasizes Latino authors.

Horne said he believes the Mexican-American studies program teaches Latino students that they are oppressed by white people. Public schools should not be encouraging students to resent a particular race, he said.

Brewer's signature on the bill comes less than a month after she signed the nation's toughest crackdown on illegal immigration — a move that ignited international backlash amid charges the measure would encourage racial profiling of Hispanics.

A Republican running for attorney general, Horne has been trying to restrict the program ever since he learned that Hispanic civil rights activist Dolores Huerta in 2006 told students that "Republicans hate Latinos."

District officials said the program doesn't promote resentment, and they believe it would comply with the new law.

About 1,500 students at six high schools in the district are enrolled in the program. Elementary and middle school students also are exposed to the ethnic studies curriculum. The district is 56 percent Hispanic, with nearly 31,000 Latino students.

Sean Arce, director of the district's Mexican-American Studies program, said last month that students perform better in school if they see in the curriculum people who look like them.

"It's a highly engaging program that we have, and it's unfortunate that the state Legislature would go so far as to censor these classes," he said.

Six UN human rights experts released a statement earlier Tuesday expressing concern about the measure. All people have the right to learn about their own cultural and linguistic heritage, they said.

Brewer spokesman Paul Senseman didn't directly address the UN criticism, but said Brewer supports the bill's goal.

"The governor believes ... public school students should be taught to treat and value each other as individuals and not be taught to resent or hate other races or classes of people," Senseman said.

The law doesn't prohibit classes that teach about the history of a particular ethnic group, as long as the course is open to all students and doesn't promote ethnic solidarity or resentment.

Arce could not immediately be reached after Brewer signed the bill late Tuesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/ap_on_re_us/us_arizona_ethnic_studies

2. HyperKill

HyperKill Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +319
    They wanna do the Mexicans the way they have done the blacks. Instill in them an individual sense of existence and seperate them idividually from the pack so they can do for themselves individually and 4get about their whole race.

3. CITIZEN

CITIZEN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +144
    Denial of the MLK holiday for years, racial profiling, and now this. If there was ever any doubt about AZ, then there can't be any now. They could have at least waited until some of the current controversy died down before moving on to this.

I wonder what other tricks they have going?

-Also I have heard that other states are thinking of enacting similar profiling laws.

4. bientempo

bientempo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    Confused with all the stuff on CNN about this and the other Arizona Law so looked it up and read it. Only 2 pages but looks like nothing is banned if it's not restricted to one ethnic group. Or in the case of Native Americans required by federal law.

The law.
    http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument...mary/h.hb2281_03-18-10_houseengrossed.doc.htm

Provisions
    • States that the Legislature finds and declares that public school pupils should be taught to treat and value each other as individuals and not be taught to resent or hate other races or classes of people.
    • Prohibits a school district or charter school from including in its program of instruction any courses or classes that:
     Promote the overthrow of the United States government.
     Promote resentment toward a race or class of people.
     Are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group.
     Advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals.
    States that this act cannot be construed to restrict or prohibit:
     Courses or classes for Native American pupils that are required to comply with federal law.
     The grouping of pupils according to academic performance, including capability in the English language, that may result in a disparate impact by ethnicity.
     Courses or classes that include the history of any ethnic group and that are open to all students, unless the course or class violates this act.
    • Prohibits rules pertaining to the discipline, suspension, and expulsion of pupils from being based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or ancestry.

Trying to look at this from a dominican standpoint, we offer NO classes in kreyol, or Haitian history except as it pretains to the Dominican Republic. Some of the Private schools will offer courses in English as they are certified by the US school system. But there is no attempt to teach history of other countries. Children of Diplomats will be in the private schools, these will be also be attended by middle an upper class dominicans that can afford them, as the public school system makes the american system seem excellent.

5. CITIZEN

CITIZEN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +144
    This is the part that concerns me. It is not fair to learn a whitewashed history when so many contributed much more in blood, sweat and tears to this country. One can be proud of one's country and one's ethnicity/race as well.

6. bientempo

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    Agreed, the only problem I would have with it is if it confined to that ethnic group to attend.

unless I am reading this wrong.
    The way the law is written as long as all students are eligible to attend the class then there is nothing wrong with it. It's only wrong when the class limited to a particular ethnic group. Latin history for only latin students. As long as all students can attend then no problem.

States that this act cannot be construed to restrict or prohibit:

Ø Courses or classes for Native American pupils that are required to comply with federal law.

Ø The grouping of pupils according to academic performance, including capability in the English language, that may result in a disparate impact by ethnicity.

Ø Courses or classes that include the history of any ethnic group and that are open to all students, unless the course or class violates this act.

7. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Yeah but i bet you all know spain's history inside and out! stop comparing your country to the US.

8. awo dino

awo dino Well-Known Member MEMBER

carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    Are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group.
    Advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals.

BINGO. these two supersede all the others. What do they mean? If I teach a class on Mexican history, can someone claim it is designed for Mexicans?
    The one on individuality versus ethnic solidarity is particularly insidious. Hopefully, no one needs to explain why. I can think of three very good reasons why YT would like this. can you?

Bientempo, we don't have any classes that are restricted to only one kind student! this is a ridiculous idea, meant to confuse people.
    You say, "But there is no attempt to teach history of other countries."
    I don't believe this for a minute. Are you saying you only learn dominican history? No U.S. history? Spanish history? Chinese? My wife is dominican and she isn't an ignorant person who knows nothing of history, so were;d she learn it?

9. bientempo

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    No dear don't study Spanish history any more than you do, but we do study from a Spanish perspective, In other words Sir Francis Drake was a pirate, not a hero.

Why can't I compare the DR to the US? And who are you to tell me what I can and can't do?

10. bientempo

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    Where did she go to school public or private, that will determine to a large extent what she studied and how much. sure we learn world history, but not specific other countries history. We will not and do not teach Haitian history except as it pretains to the DR. so no we do not study US history. Or other except in the context of world history, Ask your wife.

You are trying to twist what I said to support your arguments.