Black People : Are you voting in November? Why or why not?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by CreativeGrl, Aug 29, 2010.

1. CreativeGrl

CreativeGrl Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    It's only August, and I'm already sick of hearing conservatives, republicans, teabaggers, etc., gloat about how they're going to take control of Congress in November and essentially destroy Obama's political career. And although they'll never say it outright, they're basically saying that all of us stupid black people and naive white people who went out and voted for Obama in 2008 are either too dumb or too lazy to show up at the polls in November, so they might as well go ahead and break out the champagne now.

On one hand, it makes me mad, but on the other hand, I know they have a point. Our people have a history of thinking that our vote doesn't count or of not being the most politically aware especially in a non-presidential election year. Most of us vote for president, then sit back on our behinds for four years, and then wonder why nothing changed. You would think Obama's win would have changed some of that mindset. I mean let's be real, yes, whites voted for him, but if it wasn't for us, he wouldn't have won either. The other side understands that all politics is local. Why don't we?

For everyone who thinks Obama isn't doing enough for us think about this, would you rather have a Congress that Obama can pass legislation through and at least have a chance of finishing what he started, or would you rather it change hands, and pretty much GUARANTEE Obama will be a lame duck for the next two years? If that happens, you can forget all of that "black agenda" talk, cause it ain't gonna happen.

So, what about you? Are you voting in November? Why or why not?

2. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Our november election will include a local sheriffs race. I wouldn't miss that for the world. There is a very well qualified Brother running for sheriff who has been in the sheriffs department for a very long time and is currently the interim sheriff. He is running against a number of competitors but only one qualified but has no experience in the sheriffs department. It is clear that the election will boil down to RACE/COLOR. Every home in my area that has a campaign sign out front can almost definately be determined to owners race based on who's sign is out front. I have not noticed a single cace where this was not the case. This being said, yes I will be voting in support of this well qualified Brother who have done a fine job as interim sheriff.

As for President Obama, I dissagree with many of his policies. Specifically, I don't like the health care bill that he cramed on us, I don't like his position on gays in the military, abortion, gay marriage, the mosque in NYC, his oposition to Arizona law, his lack (as all other presidents prior to him) to present a national immigrations bill, and I don't believe his economic policies have been or will be effective. I think we have spent a bunch of money we don't have nor didn't need to spend and it produced very little results. As far as a Black agenda, I don't have any issues with him on that as I have no specific legislation I would want him to pass that would constitute a Black agenda.

3. CreativeGrl

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    Are you a Republican? If so, that's cool. It's just that many of the points I made were really geared towards Obama supporters. If there are any left...

4. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    No, I am an independent. I have never liked partisan politics. I don't like it when issues go straight down party lines.

5. CreativeGrl

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    Is there really any such thing as an Independent though? Don't you just end up voting for one party or the other depending on which way you lean? I mean every point of view you just mentioned were all Republican points of view, so if there is no Independent candidate, you'd probably end up voting republican anyway, right?

I find that most Independent candidates are really just wolves in sheep's clothing. In other words, Republicans who don't want to be associated with the Republican stigma, run as Independents, and then when in office vote right down Republican party lines just as they intended to do.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I alwayz vote and will continue to support our President

7. CreativeGrl

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    :toast:

8. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I like your political astuteness. For the most part, you are correct. I am mostly socially and fiscally conservative but oftentimes, especially in recent years the republican party has not been conservative enough. Neither party truely represent my views so I do have to go with the candidate that most closely represent my views. I don't want to be identified with either party because I will kick a candidate the curb in a heartbeat. As an example, John McCain, during the election was talking about the fundamentals of the economy where sound while the economy was crumbling around him. That is a clear indicator that he did not have a clue. Huckabee is just as weak on immigrations as President Obama and Bush. Common sense usually suffers at the expense of partisan politics. Clinton made changes in welfar reform which I supported. Hillary, on the other hand...I couldn't support her because I felt she said what she thought a specific audience wanted to hear. When speaking to a Black audience she would say one thing (even change her lingo and voice) then when speaking to women or whites she would say another.

So, the bottom line is I am socially and fiscally conservative and vote that way. I know that is going to open a can of worms.

9. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    What policies of his do you suppport and do you believe his economic policies are or will be effective?

10. CreativeGrl

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    I actually agree with some of your points of view, I think the difference probably lies in the best way to solve some those issues. For example, I agree that something should be done about immigration. Your solution may be to put up a fence or put troops on the border, whereas my solution would be to go after the corporations that are hiring them. Neither republicans nor democrats want to do that though because many of those corporations are major campaign contributors.

The only issues I tend to lean conservative on is school choice and the option to have school vouchers. The public school system is a joke. No one should be forced to send their child to a poor school. I'm also not for gay marriage. Other than that, I'm pretty much a democrat.