Black People : Are You REALLY proud of your African heritage?

Again, you are proving my point. You refuse to discuss West and West Central African society in and of itself. That's all I was saying, and you're still doing it.

Why don't you ask "Are you proud of your West African heritage?" then? Like you don't see a reason to get African Spirituality from Europeans, we don't see a reason to get African Geography from Europeans, yet if you must be particular then be particular. To start the thread asking why we talk about East Africa is to miss the real point that Africans moved around the world--or that Africans are Africans. Isn't a Eastern European a European?

As to West African pride, tons of Africans wear cowrie shells in their hair, raise up Nzingha in Libations, say "Ase" regularly, and recognized Patrice Lumumba as a great African. Beside that, in University, Mansa Musa, Timbuktu and Kwame Nkrumah are stock Knowledge.

The trouble with "West African Pride" is that regionalism will detach us from Steve Biko, from the Great Wall of Zimbabwe, from KMT and from Pan-Africanism which is what they want. What's more it's unrealistic. How do we accept that the Arab Muslims arrived in West Africa with a century of Islam but it's unacceptable to think the East Africans arrived in West Africa after two-hundred-thousand years of human history?

Peace,
I did. I absolutly love this site. I honestly do. But what I've found is that no matter how positive the thread starts out it will take a turn for the worse. Its disheartening and frustrating to weed through all the banter and inflated egos to get to the knowledge of the thread.

Well said Honey1201, well said indeed. Perhaps one day, on this site, we shall learn to drop the bantering and inflated ego-tripping and solidify our thoughts around the single goal desired by all of us, re-writing his-story of our story.

Peace In my sister friend,

Why don't you ask "Are you proud of your West African heritage?" then? Like you don't see a reason to get African Spirituality from Europeans, we don't see a reason to get African Geography from Europeans, yet if you must be particular then be particular. To start the thread asking why we talk about East Africa is to miss the real point that Africans moved around the world--or that Africans are Africans. Isn't a Eastern European a European?

As to West African pride, tons of Africans wear cowrie shells in their hair, raise up Nzingha in Libations, say "Ase" regularly, and recognized Patrice Lumumba as a great African. Beside that, in University, Mansa Musa, Timbuktu and Kwame Nkrumah are stock Knowledge.

The trouble with "West African Pride" is that regionalism will detach us from Steve Biko, from the Great Wall of Zimbabwe, from KMT and from Pan-Africanism which is what they want. What's more it's unrealistic. How do we accept that the Arab Muslims arrived in West Africa with a century of Islam but it's unacceptable to think the East Africans arrived in West Africa after two-hundred-thousand years of human history?
I want you to read this very carefully: This is about heritage. I absolutely have no problem celebrating Pan Africanism. What I do have a problem with is people skipping over recent history in favor of something more ancient because they perceive it to be more dignified. It makes my blood boil when my ancestors are discussed only in the context of other African civilizations. We, as African Americans, are several thousands of years removed from Kush, KMT and Nubia. Those cultures are dead and gone. However, what is still alive, still relevant, is the culture of those who transitioned here via the Middle Passage. We should celebrate that. That's all I'm saying.

Well said Honey1201, well said indeed. Perhaps one day, on this site, we shall learn to drop the bantering and inflated ego-tripping and solidify our thoughts around the single goal desired by all of us, re-writing his-story of our story.

Peace In my sister friend,
Peace.
I believe it will happen one day. One day there will be a more of a unity of our people.

I want you to read this very carefully: This is about heritage.

Precisely, but how old is our Heritage? In the Mis-Education System, we're told that we are only as old as our Enslavement. This "Heritage" talk only adds a century to that statement. We're an Ancient people, so what's wrong with looking into our Ancient History?

I absolutely have no problem celebrating Pan Africanism.

So how do you celebrate Pan-Africanism claiming that there's a "West" and "East" Africa? That's the absolute antithesis of Pan-Africanism.

Is Pan-Europe "West" and "East" Europe? Is Pan-Asia, "West" and "East" Asia? Why promote "Pan-Africanism" with "West" and "East" Africa?

It's one thing to say "I'm Pan-Africanist" but it's another to be Pan-Africanist.

What I do have a problem with is people skipping over recent history in favor of something more ancient because they perceive it to be more dignified.

Self-Knowledge takes time. It should not be that those with more Self-Knowledge have problems with those with less. If one values a different historical period than you do more than you do, that's their prerogative. One can see one period as more dignified than another. That's no crime against our Race or Ancestry. Do you think our recent Ancestors looked upon themselves as more dignified than their Ancestors? Or our Ancient, more dignified than their Ancient?

It makes my blood boil when my ancestors are discussed only in the context of other African civilizations. We, as African Americans, are several thousands of years removed from Kush, KMT and Nubia. Those cultures are dead and gone. However, what is still alive, still relevant, is the culture of those who transitioned here via the Middle Passage. We should celebrate that. That's all I'm saying.

We know exactly what you are saying. But are you speaking Truth? Kush, KMT, Nubia are cultures that are dead and gone? Then how do you explain the Dogon? How do you explain the Pyramids in Niger? How do you explain the Yoruba? How do you explain us? Kush, KMT and Nubia trace their Ancestry to West and West Central Africa, for instance when the Sahara was green and lush and also from the beginning of the Nile (in Uganda.) We can raise the Mandinka and Ewe more, but we'd need to suppose no one from the Mandinka or Ewe ever came from anywhere else but West Africa. The Mandinka were not only found in the Gambia, but once upon a time were in the Mali EMPIRE, an Empire that traveled even into America! The Mandinka even have a reputation of being well-traveled; not just in Africa but well-traveled.

In other words, there's no such thing as West Africa. It's one thing to promote "recent history" it's another to promote an artificial boundary with no basis in our historical legacy.

But I guess there's little more that can be said.

Yes I am proud of my ancestry.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back