Computers - Software Hardware : Are You Paying For Internet Security? You Don't Have To...

http://www.zdnetasia.com/report-ie9-safest-browser-against-malware-62301643.htm

Firefox has turned out to be a major disappointment of late, failing to warn me about many dangerous websites. Reason enough for me to eliminate a once preferred browser. IE9 and Chrome worked where Firefox failed, plugins or not. I'm using IE 9 more often now, haven't done so for a year or so.

A couple things I like to point out:

The article is 8 months old.
Also, I notice the comparison is against Firefox 4. Latest version is 10.0.2. Is it being implied that there have been no improvements between versions 4 through 10?

IE9 is a dog in terms of speed. Chrome is the fastest admittedly, but IE9 is definitely one of the slowest in terms of performance.

As far as warning of websites not to visit, I hate that. Either you know what you are doing when you are surfing the web or you don't in my opinion. Too much nanny-ware for my tastes. Yet, I can see where this is good for most.

A couple things I like to point out:

The article is 8 months old.
Also, I notice the comparison is against Firefox 4. Latest version is 10.0.2. Is it being implied that there have been no improvements between versions 4 through 10?

IE9 is a dog in terms of speed. Chrome is the fastest admittedly, but IE9 is definitely one of the slowest in terms of performance.

As far as warning of websites not to visit, I hate that. Either you know what you are doing when you are surfing the web or you don't in my opinion. Too much nanny-ware for my tastes. Yet, I can see where this is good for most.

You don't want to be warned if a website is infested with malwares? You know even a respectable website can be taken by stealth, don't you? I want my first line of defense to be strong. When you get a warning all you need to do is push the back button. You cannot get a better defense than that.

Article is 8 month old because the test is run over a long period of time. It's not something routine. If you read the article, you'll notice that IE 9 has Application Reputation tech which is dynamically created and maintained. Meaning that it works just like updated AV libraries. Google can go tit for tat with MS on matter of security. Firefox can't. Firefox is just elegant, but I wouldn't trust it on matter of security.

You don't want to be warned if a website is infested with malwares? You know even a respectable website can be taken by stealth, don't you? I want my first line of defense to be strong. When you get a warning all you need to do is push the back button. You cannot get a better defense than that.

Number 1#: The Internet is an inherently unsafe and insecure medium. You take the precautions before you even step out on the Internet.

The first line of defense is you don't surf on one's computer as root or administrator. That alone will clear up tons of problems. Your machine should be hardened completely, but that is far beyond the scope of this thread.

Again, know what you are dealing with. I can do without the nanny-ware.

SlickBeast said:
Article is 8 month old because the test is run over a long period of time. It's not something routine. If you read the article, you'll notice that IE 9 has Application Reputation tech which is dynamically created and maintained. Meaning that it works just like updated AV libraries. Google can go tit for tat with MS on matter of security. Firefox can't. Firefox is just elegant, but I wouldn't trust it on matter of security.

I did read the article. Security of your browser is more than just malware and reputation scales. There are also viruses, rootkits, Javascript, ActiveX, CSS (Cross site scripting), rendering engines, privacy, SSL, and much more.

Just the opposite. I wouldn't trust IE9 for security. It takes longer for M$ to release patches and there are more of them. ActiveX is a problem in and of itself .... and IE9 is slow and it lacks nifty plugins.

I'll stick to ol' Firefox.

i was buying norton antivirus paying like sixty bucks a pop and didn't know avg security is free and downloadable online. i paid hundreds of dollars being careless not renewing subscriptions when i didnt even need a renewal with avg. if you didn't know well now you do. search it download it and you don't have to worry about all those companies robbing you. just wanted to share this for those who are uninformed as i was buying and renewing subscriptions in fear of computer bugs and so forth.

A link to a reliable product would be nice. Ive heard you could do this. I could have saved alot of money last week!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back