Computers - Software Hardware : Are You Paying For Internet Security? You Don't Have To...

Feather

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 3, 2011
i was buying norton antivirus paying like sixty bucks a pop and didn't know avg security is free and downloadable online. i paid hundreds of dollars being careless not renewing subscriptions when i didnt even need a renewal with avg. if you didn't know well now you do. search it download it and you don't have to worry about all those companies robbing you. just wanted to share this for those who are uninformed as i was buying and renewing subscriptions in fear of computer bugs and so forth.

You should have several layers of scanners including:

a) anti-virus
b) malware/spyware

I generally prefer these to be separate programs and not all in ones. I also dislike link scanners/blockers as well as several other security services.

Your computer should have its local firewall activated as well.

Advanced*: For those of you who are computer savvy, you should harden your system on top of the scanners.

malwarebytes is a good defence against malwares and anti-virus. It is free for about seven days so only use it when desperate (AV, avira is a decent free one albeit a bit "paranoid", and firewall (win defender) should be enough). Malwarebyte, that I always keep on a USB, cannot however defends vs keyloggers and rootkits. However, there are programs that allow you to view all running programs and rate them in term of virulence. You can then click on the program to confirm whether the program is dangerous or not. If it is, delete it.

Note a lot of programs that are rated as mildly dangerous is not really malicious but resource hog. But more important don't click on links you are not sure is safe and don't go on random websites. More importantly use Chrome (or latest IE). Google can notify you if a website is dangerous. Mozilla is weak.

Note a lot of programs that are rated as mildly dangerous is not really malicious but resource hog. But more important don't click on links you are not sure is safe and don't go on random websites. More importantly use Chrome (or latest IE). Google can notify you if a website is dangerous. Mozilla is weak.

I still heavily use Mozilla.

If anything, I wouldn't recommend using IE. That's a great gateway for all sorts of exploitations.

I do encourage the use of alternative browsers i.e. Opera, Chrome, Mozilla, and more.

Be sure to keep up on patches and new releases of your particular browser.
Another option is to use portable browsers rather than installed ones.

Keep up-to-date on patches to your operating system and browsers.

Paranoia*: Couple a portable browser with Sandboxie in order to have a near zero footprint browser.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back