Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Are you offended if someone calls your hair NAPPY?

Oh, wonderful, if it means you you're falling back from what you have no clue about, all's well.
I am not the one who is offended about my hair and lips, you are. If you don't get rid of that mindset, you are going to be a problem for your future spouse. I can see it in the picture of your avatar, stringy hair looking like the slave mistress. Love yourself young one and keep your hair natural.

I am not the one who is offended about my hair and lips, you are. If you don't get rid of that mindset, you are going to be a problem for your future spouse. I can see it in the picture of your avatar, stringy hair looking like the slave mistress. Love yourself young one and keep your hair natural.

Hmm, weren't you just stating you can't help me there? Why you still talkin'? :lol: I guess that's too much to hope for. :look:

Still haven't a clue, nevertheless. And please quit concerning yourself with my business, as in, my "future spouse". He's nothing to do with you. Understood?

Anyhow, have fun talking to yourself. :wave:

First of all, this is not an original idea. I came up with this topic after reading the thread asking women who wear their hair natural to identify themselves and share their reasons for choosing to be "natural."

While reading the responses, I really became more curious to know are there any Black(men and women) that get offended if someone referred to their hair as being "nappy"?

When/if someone says that, does it hurt your feelings and make you defensive?

Is anyone willing to admit that they are bothered by the natural curls that spring tight to their head and you just don't like them?

lBlack women:

Has a man ever told you he liked your hair better permed and weaved?

Has he ever named a "movie star" to give you an example of the type of hairstyle he would like you to wear?

When I was much younger, I used to get offended if someone told me my hair was nappy because that was meant to be an insult. Today, I've been long past that form of ignorant way of thinking and have developed a more caring relationship with my hair. I'm no longer insulted if someone refers to my hair as nappy. In fact, I am starting to think that it's one of the highest compliments a Black person can be paid.

As I look at how Black women express themselves through their hairstyles, I often wonder what reasons lie underneath their chosen style. When they look in the mirror, what do they see? I see a Black woman's hair as an expression of who they are and it says a lot about how she thinks of herself and views the world in which she lives.

I think a Black woman's hair is uniquely and wonderfully versatile. It can signify social, political, economic and spiritural connotations. It can be shaped, styled and manipulated in as many different ways as the mind can conjure up ideas. Our hair can reflect so much about us. They say that the eyes are windows into our souls. Maybe our nappy hair is a reflection of our souls.

Here's a website that I found interesting and wanted to share with all my nappy haired sisters! I hope you enjoy it.

:toast:

http://www.geocities.com/jywanza1/Blackwomenshaira.htm

I personally think the word nappy is offensive because of its origins.

Sometimes we as a people act as if we cannot derive our own terms to describe ourselves. I have not heard of any other culture taking negative words that other cultures created to describe them in a derogatory way and then saying I am embracing it. Seems more like brainwashing to me.

Natural hair is what it is.

Happy To Be Nappy is the name of a natural hair salon located in Atlanta GA.
Nappy, kinky, curly are positive words for my hair. I will not give the white man power over my hair. My hair is locked and nappy. Sometimes it's curly, and sometimes it's kinky. My Locs wake up each morning with a life of their own.
Locs used to be called Dread locks. Enlightened ones dropped the dread, because there's nothing DREADFUL about them.

To refer to a person as a nappy headed girl in a negative reference and, I think is unacceptable. Nappy is a hair type, not a person.

I not going to get deep about my decision to loc. it was really an issue of finance. I was spending thousands of $$$$$. A year on my hair and it was causing problems in my marriage. I told my husband I would stop and I wanted to start locing my hair. He went thru all the phases of locing with me. Supporting me so I didn't give up during the infant/ugly phase. He call them our Locs now.

Now, in my mature season of life I love my Locs. I don't have to make the decision what to do with my hair! I'm loving it. Loving it.

If I would tell a younger Black woman to try locing that would be the reason why.

Locing is a journey and that's how it ends.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back