Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Are you offended if someone calls your hair NAPPY?

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by NNQueen, Apr 25, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    First of all, this is not an original idea. I came up with this topic after reading the thread asking women who wear their hair natural to identify themselves and share their reasons for choosing to be "natural."

While reading the responses, I really became more curious to know are there any Black(men and women) that get offended if someone referred to their hair as being "nappy"?

When/if someone says that, does it hurt your feelings and make you defensive?

Is anyone willing to admit that they are bothered by the natural curls that spring tight to their head and you just don't like them?

lBlack women:

Has a man ever told you he liked your hair better permed and weaved?

Has he ever named a "movie star" to give you an example of the type of hairstyle he would like you to wear?

When I was much younger, I used to get offended if someone told me my hair was nappy because that was meant to be an insult. Today, I've been long past that form of ignorant way of thinking and have developed a more caring relationship with my hair. I'm no longer insulted if someone refers to my hair as nappy. In fact, I am starting to think that it's one of the highest compliments a Black person can be paid.

As I look at how Black women express themselves through their hairstyles, I often wonder what reasons lie underneath their chosen style. When they look in the mirror, what do they see? I see a Black woman's hair as an expression of who they are and it says a lot about how she thinks of herself and views the world in which she lives.

I think a Black woman's hair is uniquely and wonderfully versatile. It can signify social, political, economic and spiritural connotations. It can be shaped, styled and manipulated in as many different ways as the mind can conjure up ideas. Our hair can reflect so much about us. They say that the eyes are windows into our souls. Maybe our nappy hair is a reflection of our souls.

Here's a website that I found interesting and wanted to share with all my nappy haired sisters! I hope you enjoy it.

:toast:

http://www.geocities.com/jywanza1/Blackwomenshaira.htm

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    i would say no it's the inner beauty of self
    it only let one know how noticable they are

3. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    I'm bald :lol:

Bit would have to say that when I was young it bothered me for someone to call my hair nappy. I don't know why...Maybe its because the MEANT it to be hurtful. It wasn't a term of endearment. So it may have been the fact that they were trying to put me down more than the actual words of my hair being nappy.

4. Azzura76

Azzura76 Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    When I was younger I use to perm my hair twice a week,
    thinking that it's better to have permed hair than nappy hair.
    Well back then boys did pick on you if your hair was nappy.

As I matured I felt the same way; that I would get talk about if I had nappy hair(and sometimes I did). I feel that more people are going NAPPY(Natural) because People like India, Badu, Jill Scott and others made it Hype. I decided to go natural because I feel I want a change. I want to live Afrocentric. I want to be all natural:
    in my living, my style and my hair.

5. RISUPNOW

RISUPNOW Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Blessed love

Nqueen
    I can say that u r very inspiring!
    We are the only people on earth who has natural curl that's is so deep.
    NAPPY HAIR as u says
    Our hair is facing the sun,it is not going down.
    they are UP towards the sky,this is an other proof that we are a very special people.
    Our HAIR, like our SKIN are made the way they are to protect us from the environnement in wish we have been created.
    The garden of EDEN where BLACK MAN AND WOMAN were living at the beginning.
    All the over races have their hair facing down.
    We should be proud of our difference,and not to envie over people.
    And not to live in ILLUSION, IN DARKNESS.
    not to destroy our NATURE by all these chamical,and falls hair ,falls nails. They are the ones who need extra this and that to be confortable in their skin NOT US we DO NOT NEED ANY OF ANY EXTRA TO BE, WE ARE THE ORIGINALS. (my brothers,stop shaving your hair,remember SAMSON STRENGTH lays in his HAIR)

" a peace of wood in the water could never become a crocodile".
    PEACE

queen Risupnow

6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    My sister, Azzura..."I decided to go natural because I feel I want a change. I want to live Afrocentric. I want to be all natural:
    in my living, my style and my hair." I like your premise -- welcome to the "nappy hair" community. It truly frees the mind.

Risupnow...sister in the UK...great analogy about our hair facing the sun. That is beautiful and uplifting in my opinion.

I have to say this and I don't mean it as a put down or insult to my sisters who do this BUT...it does break my heart to see the perms, weaves and pressed hair. I realize I look at us now moreso from a political/spiritual point of view as opposed to style or however "beauty" is defined in America.

As I become more enlightened, I guess I'm looking at life through a different set of eyes now and I see the beauty in us so differently. I hate what being exposed to European thinking has done to influence our perceptions of ourselves.

As a woman-child I can remember hearing a Black man once tell a group of Black people that he wanted to one day buy his 2 daughters a convertible car so that they could drive down the street and let the wind blow through their hair like a white girl's. Their mother always straightened their hair. I have never forgotten that. :(

7. Azzura76

Ratings:
    +1
    Love My hair: for each strand tells my story
    on how I rised from pressed hair to natural living
    Wondering why it took so long to go this route
    realizing I did it for the LOVE of my people and Not for
    the style. The journey was and still is worth the tyme
    Because I discovered the beauty in me and the beast that I
    decided to past by. No more fake living; I live for the all natural
    Love my Hair for it's Nappiness and for the story it tells

8. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Bless you sister Azzura!! The beauty I find in your words, reflect the beauty in you!

Peace :heart:

9. Azzura76

Ratings:
    +1
    THANK YOU QUEEN 4 YOUR REPLY AND TOPIC

10. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    When I was little I would cry when other students said I had nappy hair, not it's a compliment.

"As I become more enlightened, I guess I'm looking at life through a different set of eyes now and I see the beauty in us so differently. I hate what being exposed to European thinking has done to influence our perceptions of ourselves. "

I totally agree.