Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Are you considered natural...........?

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by MsInterpret, May 9, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Are you considered a "natural" if you have your hair pressed?

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    I've always understood "natural" hair to mean the same as "virgin" hair--unprocessed--no hot combing or chemical straighteners and no tints/dyes. As hair grows out of your scalp--natural.

Queenie :heart:

3. Honey1201

Honey1201 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +188
    Yep.

4. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +864
    I'd say so

5. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    I would say, 'yes...I think'.

But...y'know - I was so deeply immersed in the internet hair world -- and lightly argued with so many natural hair nazi's. (I belonged to a natural hair site that banned straight hair pics of any kind) -- that I'm not even sure any more.
    *laugh*

To be 'natural' usually means that your hair isn't chemically processed (to straighten it).
    ...but what about heat? Heat can be just as damaging. So...what if the hair is trained and does not/cannot revert?
    Are they still natural?

I'd probably agree that they are. But...I dunno.

A large part of me just doesn't give a **** either way...*laugh*... which is no offense to you, OP, by the way. This is a good question to ask.

I'm just very much turned off by what I see in some areas - some factions - of the natural hair 'movement'. A sort of elitism that I find really ridiculous and extremely petty.
    I don't care to feed the monster.

Like, everyone whined until black women decided to look into natural hair. Fine.
    Now more are considering it...and no sooner did black ladies attempt the natural look than other naturals set about erecting roadblocks for progress. Apparently, there's a right and wrong way to be natural.
    Suddenly, you're self-hating if you're a long-term transitioner.
    Suddenly, you don't count unless you're a non-mixed black woman with wiry '4w' hair.
    Suddenly, it's not good enough to simply be natural unless you've adopted what the hive mind considers to be natural. If you straighten with heat - if you color - you're not natural.

I understand where this comes from...as I understood why the site to which I once belonged (Nappturality) was so anti anything but natural non-straightened hair. You have folks who feel as though they've got a fight on their hands. To uplift black beauty. To erase lies about black hair. To change perceptions.
    ...and they're right, I suppose.
    My problem would be that these same folks are skedaddling too close to the opposite extreme.

By the way, no -- I don't see any of this as a 'black thing'. As an example of what's going wrong in the black community. This is just people...being people.
    ...and it's just the nature of people to notice differences and create division...for no good reason.

So, I'm just on the 'do whatever the hell you wanna do. it's your damned hair' team. *laugh*
    That's why I responded as I did in the other thread about relaxed hair? Not because I feel all adversarial about the whole thing.
    So long as you're happy and accepting of you? Doesn't matter what you do to your hair.

I'm relaxed. So...what?
    Actually, I got over my weave ambivalence and I've gone weave crazy! *laugh* I had a sew-in in a reddish feathered bob. I've wore a tapered pixie cut wig with pink fringes for the last few days. Next...I shall have my brown/black and auburn mo-hawk....
    I've always liked the 'punk look'.

...and I do these things not because I've problems with my blackness but because I'M A GIRL (and I obviously can't color/cut my own hair).
    Somewhere along the line, people forgot that. Forget that black women are also FEMALE and are bound to do all sorts of things to their hair.

I'm really 'over' people bothering black women about our hair. I'm just plain over everyone politicizing 'hair', period.

Can I live?
    Can I breathe?
    ...'specially where black men are concerned. No- that's not a slap against anyone on this site because I haven't read from the men about whatever they think of it...or maybe I haven't paid attn. I dunno.
    *shrug*
    I'm just speaking very 'generally'...because you can't watch a Youtube hair video or read tips about black hair on the internet in peace without some g.damned man or men there, acting like they're so evolved and 'above it all' about everything. Not only do they persist in discussing a largely feminine issue from a masculine perspective? Half of these males are more texture focused and color-struck than WE are (said to be)... but they still manage to summon the nerve to get on a high-horse and patronize/whine about black women in weaves and relaxers.

" *sigh* What are we gonna do with you poor, stupid, white-washed black females?"

Whatever. Hell, half of these hair boards are filled with transitioners and newly naturals who have to go online for support because they don't rec'v it in their real life.
    But it's always going to be easier for some of these guys to point the finger at 'us' than acknowledge their own damage...
    *shrug*

'Business as usual', I say.

6. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,319
    I agree with this definition. :)

7. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    But I think
    ..."to each his/her own. It doesn't change your outlook on love, life or your pursuit for happiness. There's so much more important things to be concerned with

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,319
    No, it doesn't, but I do believe it can change ones outlook on their own selves; like if ever they were natural, they'd be less than beautiful. I've felt that way before.

I do believe there is much more to pay mind to other than our hair; I just believe letting it grow as is helps with that because when it's natural, you don't really have much to do to it. :lol:

9. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    You don't?...lol speak for yourself.

10. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I put more work into my natural hair then when it was relaxed...especially since it's getting longer...I'm not complaining because I actually LOVE experimenting with my hair.