Pan-Africanism : Are You African or African American?

Are You "African" or "African American?"

• I am African.

Votes: 83 46.4%
  • I am African American.

Votes: 52 29.1%
  • none of the above

Votes: 44 24.6%

• Total voters
I will ask some recent emigrants who have naturalized in the U.S.A. I observe that the labelling are different in Brazil. They would say Afro-Brazilian but never Black Brazilian.

Good morning, and what you've shared reveals not all other folks takes in the Americas are the same as ours, in the states...

I. e., we here both need to reconsider how complex the issue of racial identity is, and also to not limit our own to what was alleged or truly popular to identify ourselves with, via the past, etc.

FYI

Recent immigrants to the U.S. are black Americans. African-Americans are black Americans whose ancestry goes back to American slavery.

Unlike recent immigrants who hail from distinct tribes and particular countries on the continent, tribe Africa-America was made one from many and forged in American slavery.... not Brazilian slavery, or Jamaican slavery, but U.S. slavery.

Recent immigrants are more properly called, for ex., Nigerian-Americans, Botswanan-Americans, Ghanian-Americans. They applied for, fulfilled the citizenship requirements of and swore allegiance to the country, the United States of America, not to the tribe, Africa-America. While black Americans, they are no more African-American than an African-American who takes out Nigerian citizenship is a Yoruba.

We, African Americans, have an unique and distinct story and experience. Undoubtedly our root lies on the Mother continent and we should never lose sight of that but our ancestors' sojourn in this land has given us unique experiences and a heritage that we do not share with those on the continent. We are a nation unto ourselves, certainly we are related to our brothers and sisters on the continent and throughout the Diaspora, but still a nation unto ourselves. Even within our collective nation we have cultural variations - Gullah/Geechee, Creole, Black Indian, Bible Belt, even Northern (because some of our people were never in the South) - that comprise the African American people. One love Black folks!

We, African Americans, have an unique and distinct story and experience. Undoubtedly our root lies on the Mother continent and we should never lose sight of that but our ancestors' sojourn in this land has given unique experiences and a heritage that we do not share with those on the continent. We are a nation unto ourselves, certainly we are related to our brothers and sisters on the continent and throughout the Diaspora, but still a nation unto ourselves. Even within our collective nation we have cultural variations - Gullah/Geechee, Creole, Black Indian, Bible Belt, even Northern (because some of our people were never in the South) - that comprise the African American people. One love Black folks!

Blackbird, I'm in agreement indeed and very well said. Also many Africans and African Americans hold stereotypes against each other which does either of us any favors but build walls between our various cultures. Actually African Americans have more in common with English speaking Caribbeans, Stokely Carmichael comes to mind and my anecdotal experiences. But I have to say Africans tend to segregate themselves from African Americans and have a more profound admiration for white people and feel they are complemented and gratified by having white friends and tend to share stereotypical stories regarding African Americans. African Americans tend to be much more suspicious of white people and not so quick to give them credit and tend not to back stab any other culture around white people, we avoid subjects that will feed their sense of superiority.

So I am African American. I do hope one day Africans and African Americans can find a more profound bond and affiliation for one another because we could actually help each other and enrich the foundation in which we exist, in fact this is my wish for all cultures because the fact is we all are divided by class
in a hierarchy social structure dominated by oligarchs and corporate plutocrats from every corner of the world.

Recent immigrants to the U.S. are black Americans. African-Americans are black Americans whose ancestry goes back to American slavery.

CTJ:

All of our ancestors and we the descendants have roots etc. back to Mother Africa...

You wrote:

Unlike recent immigrants who hail from distinct tribes and particular countries on the continent, tribe Africa-America was made one from many and forged in American slavery.... not Brazilian slavery, or Jamaican slavery, but U.S. slavery.

CTJ:

On point/on time...

You wrote:

Recent immigrants are more properly called, for ex., Nigerian-Americans, Botswanan-Americans, Ghanian-Americans. They applied for, fulfilled the citizenship requirements of and swore allegiance to the country, the United States of America, not to the tribe, Africa-America. While black Americans, they are no more African-American than an African-American who takes out Nigerian citizenship is a Yoruba.

CTJ:

Time will tell...

You wrote:

CTJ:

Yes, also on point/on time, too, but I had and have contacts with others, all thruout the black disaspora, who see things as we do, as well as are striving for the same goal(s), i. e., a shared intent and purpose, unity etc., for all of our sakes...

You wrote:

Recent immigrants are more properly called, for ex., Nigerian-Americans, Botswanan-Americans, Ghanian-Americans. They applied for, fulfilled the citizenship requirements of and swore allegiance to the country, the United States of America, not to the tribe, Africa-America. While black Americans, they are no more African-American than an African-American who takes out Nigerian citizenship is a Yoruba.[/QUOTE]

CTJ:

The jury's out...Everybody is presumed innocent until proven guilty, i. e., it isn't about the takes of individuals, it also is about the takes of whichever people choose or chose to immigrant here, etc.

Do reread brother Malcolm's' call to our people, both here and around the globe, i. e., his 'Message to the Grassroots', etc.

We need not begin again, just start fresh!

(Smile)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back