Pan-Africanism : Are You African or African American?

Are You "African" or "African American?"

• I am African.

Votes: 83 46.4%
  • I am African American.

Votes: 52 29.1%
  • none of the above

Votes: 44 24.6%

• Total voters
Sekhemu said:
It's very simple.

You do not speak for black people, you speak for yourself, now what part of this don't you understand Charlie.

Stop trolling. I said and I repeat again, you can label yourself whatever you want, the names mean nothing, the culture is what matters.

I'm an African, whether you agree with it or not. I left you an entire treatise of scholarship for you to refute.

Strawman argument.

Please explain to me what is Yoruba, Ibo, Ashanti etc. culture? All of the cultures mentioned above, are practiced and embraced by African Americans.
Proof? How many African Americans speak any of the languages of the said people? How many African Americans practice any of the traditional customs of these said people? You're blowing hot air and sticking your face in the sand because you refuse to accept the fact that culturally you are *NOT* an African, ie, Hausa, Yoruba, Ibo, Amhara, Somali. If a Ibo came up to you and perform one of their traditional dances you would *NOT* recognize it as distinctly Ibo. Get off "I'm an African bandwagon".

I've heard Africans talk that bullshyt about AA's are not African, It looks like you bought into this notion hook line and sinker.

Yeah sure. Mayne you don't even know me, so cease with the personal attacks. You can label yourself anything, heck many African Americans call themselves Nubian brother and Nubian sister, but they are not *REAL* Nubians from Sudan and Upper Egypt, they're just using the name.

Most Africans who say this know nothing if anything about African Americans and our culture, and I would venture to say suffer from a post colonial traumatic disorcer, no different than the misguided Africans in this country who hate calling themselves African

YOU are NOT going to convince me I am not African, so I suggest you let it go.

If an African tells you you're not African, what could I do? Don't you think they would be the best judges concerning this rather than you, a person who's 380 years separated culturally from Africa? In name you can call yourself whatever you wish, but culturally and ethnically you are *NOT*, case closed, end of story.

Charlie_Bass said:
Stop trolling. I said and I repeat again, you can label yourself whatever you want, the names mean nothing, the culture is what matters.

Strawman argument.

Proof? How many African Americans speak any of the languages of the said people? How many African Americans practice any of the traditional customs of these said people? You're blowing hot air and sticking your face in the sand because you refuse to accept the fact that culturally you are *NOT* an African, ie, Hausa, Yoruba, Ibo, Amhara, Somali. If a Ibo came up to you and perform one of their traditional dances you would *NOT* recognize it as distinctly Ibo. Get off "I'm an African bandwagon".

Yeah sure. Mayne you don't even know me, so cease with the personal attacks. You can label yourself anything, heck many African Americans call themselves Nubian brother and Nubian sister, but they are not *REAL* Nubians from Sudan and Upper Egypt, they're just using the name.

If an African tells you you're not African, what could I do? Don't you think they would be the best judges concerning this rather than you, a person who's 380 years separated culturally from Africa? In name you can call yourself whatever you wish, but culturally and ethnically you are *NOT*, case closed, end of story.

Charlie bASS lol

Get it straight, the FACT remains is that you have not proven that African American culture is NOT African, despite your Riculous attempts to do so.

Show us the scholarship that African American culture is not African. Give us a bibliography.

Where are the publications, the Journals, Where? Show the family. Where is your PROOF that African American culture is NOT African?

So until you can prove that African American culture is NOT AFRICAN, don't come to me with this Garbage.

Once again, African culture is NOT monolithic.

bASS by what Position of Authority do you speak? Do you possess any publications or journals that refute ANYthing that I have presented here. If you don't this entire affair is academic, no?

Perhaps you think you know the formula as to what constitutes authentic African Culture. Hmmm

Well show and PROVE..

Charlie_Bass said:

Strawman argument.

If an African tells you you're not African, what could I do? Don't you think they would be the best judges concerning this rather than you,

Nope, what Africans are you referring to?

Do yo have an identity problem?

Tantrum....

Tantrum said:
You think because of a fro or where your hair in braids
Or style of that nature means you have african descent
Boy o boy you must dont think outside the box much
That has nothing to do with being of african descent
There alot of white boys with fros or dreads or braids
That dosnt mean they have african descent
You claim your african american all you want
But when is the last time you have been to africa to use that african american title your so proud of? From what I know you have to be from africa and claim citizenship here to be an african american so you were born in africa?

You: "From what I know you have to be from africa and claim citizenship here to be an african american so you were born in africa?"

Hmm.....(this is a tough one:confused: )we are from Africa, and we, at least I do....claim American citizenship!!

You: "You think because of a fro or where your hair in braids
Or style of that nature means you have african descent
Boy o boy you must dont think outside the box much
That has nothing to do with being of african descent
There alot of white boys with fros or dreads or braids
That dosnt mean they have african descent"

Well those styles originated with Africans/originals....and it is us AA's who introduced them to the modern Western world. How many Bo Derek's existed before she did?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back