Pan-Africanism : Are You African or African American?

Are You "African" or "African American?"

• I am African.

Votes: 83 46.4%
  • I am African American.

Votes: 52 29.1%
  • none of the above

Votes: 44 24.6%

• Total voters

Ralfa'il

Mar 25, 2005
Though I feel solidarity with black people all around the world, I don't call myself either one.

Africans are people who are either born or raised in Africa with a genuine African culture.

And the title African-American...in my opinion...should be reserved for African immigrants who come to America.

I call myself an AfroAmerican, meaning an American of African descent.

Moorfius

Nov 2, 2004
Earth
Occupation
Self Employed
Who are you ??

Today in 2005 the so-called black man is in lost of soo meny things. (1) Knowlege of his and her Origenal self. Brothers and Sisters there is no way of getting over, under, around or through this great-great-great-great delima that we face. In this day and time "We" are continuing the compelling effort to reclame what has been stolen by force from us by the "Open-Enemy". "We" have to know who this "Open-Enemy" to "Us" and also to "G-d" or "Creator" is. <Read Everything by Dr C.A. Diop>
We absolutly must realize that the Open-Enemy has taught and forced on us a "Totaly false mind-set that causes us to not be able to "Free" ourselves. Every thing they (so-called White People) taught us is a "Lie" from the perspective of the "Truth". They (so-called) White People have "Re-Written" Our-Story and given us in it's place His-Story which is a "Lie". Nothing about what they told us is true or accurate, this is why we are asking the Greatest Question we could ever ask our-Self. "Who am I"?, am I a Moor?, am I a Negro?, am I Colard?, am I Black or am I African ?? "We are Africans-in-America" for now but we will grow beyond this one day too. Brothers and Sisters. "People Know Thy Self"
Sincerely

Akilah

Aug 11, 2003
Da' Gump
Occupation
Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
Alkebulan said:
wow ! how did i miss this one?

so, f a pregnant cat crawls n2 a warm (but not too warm) oven on a cool day, & gives birth, whatcha gonna call em, biskits?

:laugh: :laugh:

well, i kno this is not the poetry thread, but since i hv nvr posted a poem at destee b4, i ask u destee 2 pls overlook this & hope its not a violation of the rules or anything. i wrote this over 6 yrs ago when i was feeling esp afrocentric (yes, it waxes & wanes at times) & it really fits the topic ? to a t. u'll find my answer 2 ur ? at the end.

how can i make u understand?
luv 4 an unknown motherland
how real to me these yearnings seem,
a place where we can live our dream

how can connection really b,
4 this place so far from me
who think not n terms of i but we
will it bring out the best n me?
can its power change my destiny?

something I realized long ago
it's not an option i have 2 go
this pilgrimage will help me grow
relight my burned out inner glow
2 many secrets i must know,
so many debts 2 her we owe

vast beyond imaginings
contrasts starvation & diamond rings
i ve thought it could b paradise
her quiet beauty does so entice
i seek her counsel & advice,
am i willing thou 2 pay the price

telebroadcast scenes of famine & drought
inapparent causes r not thought about
impoverishment unencumbered throughout
suffering & death 4 europes clout

profiteers 4 unjust gain
heap on my homeland endless pain
they aren t concerned w/repercussions,
f it's not 4 profit there r no discussions

no matter how long & hard she screams & hollers,
they see afrika n terms of dollars

her mineral wealth must all be taken
irrespective of health & lives 4saken
a portion of me must still reside,
events there can instill such pride

i know that we r still connected
b/c my core is so affected
by news of risks the continent is taking,
or triumphant progress my families making

some identify w clothes or cars
they still don t know quite who they r
but 3 piece suits or burlap bags,
both will decay & become rags

don t focus on my outerwear,
thru verse i lay my soul out bare
they say don t make waves, go w the flow
they ll be sucked down w/the undertow

others may flock to france or greece,
europe can t make my longings cease

portrayed as natural disasters & plague,
but the tragedies r oft man made
w/a spirit hardship cannot defeat
w/an almost feminine mystique

a treasure trove garden retreat
w/every pleasure ur heart may seek
yet thousands die even as we speak
from far more than not enough to eat

isolation keeps her dependent & weak,
boundary lines she must delete
prospects 4 uniting r far 2 bleak,
separated, she simply can t compete

the poverty, squalor, death & sorrow
juxtapose w/the grandeur of killamanjaro
never will she attain whats best
aping greediness of the west

the solution to the racial fights
is brotherly luv, not civil rights
earth's greatest need is 4 advancement
n the science of luving others enhancement

w/diamonds oil gold & bauxite
few can match her mineral might
no land can match her vast potential
no where else has been so influential
my respect 4 her is reverential,
the whole globe was once so deferential
she must c europes role as wholly non-essential
& its culture, properly, inconsequential

until we re there we can never be home,
our ignorance led us 2 disown
this land of which the least is known,
n untapped potential she stands all alone
where lifes 1st fruits 2 the world were shown

physically huge but not full-grown,
r solid future seeds now being sown?

work toward the goal of being pan,
ignore the borders from europes klan
we wrote the bible & the koran,
we must unite while we still can

could journey 2 a distant shore
strengthen me & make me more ?
will i feel that i ve been there b4 ?
such contemplation's about whats n store

rich colored fabrics tribal dress,
warmth of an afrikan caress
varied dialects, melodic tones,
familial kinship so often shown
mysteries that will remain unknown,
the pride we share talking of home

no matter how i dress or where i stand,
my luv & longings 4 the motherland
intertwined by choice, design & plan,
so as long as i b black & b a man
from inside out i m AFRICAN

again, gr8 ? & i ve enjoyed & identified w soooo many of the replys 2 it. destee 4 president! :toast:
This flow is incredible... back to the top it goes !

I consider myself to be an American of African Descent.... Although, I do have an affinity for the term : New World African - it has a certain majestic ring to it ! It speaks to me of the strength that my Ancestors had to have posessed to make it through all we as a people have endured : from the horror of that middle passage voyage all the way up to present day. I'm equally proud of my African heritage as well as my American heritage and nothing will ever change that.

Much Peace,
Akilah

Nisa

Jul 25, 2004
MICHIGAN
I believe that I am American (by law)...with African roots...I know this because my great grandfather on my father's side was born and lived in madagascar..then came to the states. Sooo i guess you could say Im american due to citizenship...african by blood.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Senegal Black People : My African American.... Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Next U.S. Navy aircraft carrier to be named after African American Pearl Harbor hero African American History Culture 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Overlooked No More: Bessie Coleman, Pioneering African American Aviatrix Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : US city to pay Reparations to African-American community with tax on marijuana sales Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : First African-American FBI agent finally gets recognition Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Black News Channel Focusing On African American Coverage To Launch In January 2020 Black People Doing Positive Things 0
T African American History Culture : African American Deuteronomy vs. Black Autonomy African American History Culture 18
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Many dermatologists need more training on African American skin and hair Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Chicago groups work to document African American history African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : African American museum founder discovered dead in car trunk African American History Culture 1
A Black Poetry : For african american girls, african girls, and jamaican girls Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : A “Go Back to Africa” media campaign uses AI to boost African American tourism All Things Africa 16
Al D Black People : Another viable alternative for African American Youth Success Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : African-American, Hispanic deaths by fentanyl overdose rising sharply Black Health and Wellness 0
Perfection Black Money Business Jobs : In Context Series: Why Is Economic Content Missing from African American Studies? Black Money Business Jobs 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀Older African American Women's Discussion on Barriers to Mammography Black Women 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: Historical Account of Black Gangsterism -Warning for African American Leadership Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black Men : In Context Series: The Health of African American Men Black Men 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀In Quest of African American Political Woman Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Using Fiction by African American Women to Teach Black Women's History Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ African-American Women's Quilting Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀Breast Cancer Intervention-Older African American Women in Beauty Salons Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ The History of Grandmothers in the African‐American Community Black Women 0
OldSoul Black People : 'When It Comes To Black People, I Think They’re All Ugly,' Says 16-Year-Old African-American Black People Open Forum 5
Chevron Dove Black Christians : VIDEO-Jews are African American Christian Study Group 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Astronaut expected to be 1st African-American Space Station crewmember won't fly in 2018 after all Black People Doing Positive Things 5
chuck Black People Politics : What Should Be Our Goal For True African-American Political Empowerment In 2018? Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Henry Louis Gates Jr. on his never-ending quest to excavate African-American history African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Oil and gas group says African American ‘genetics’ are to blame for health problems, not pollution Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Meet the 20-year-old African-American woman making US Military Academy history Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Ramadan in Philadelphia's African American community Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : LeBron James to donate $2.5 million to National Museum of African American History Black People Doing Positive Things 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : noose-found-inside-national-museum-of-african-american-history Black People Politics 2
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Outlaw: Are You African-American? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Liberty Black People : Gucci’s New Ads, Featuring All African-American Models, Under Fire for Treating ‘Black Soul as Drag’ Black People Open Forum 5
jamesfrmphilly Black People : woman-visits-her-slave-cabin-birthplace-at-the-african-american-museum Black People Open Forum 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Has Diversity Diluted The Relevency Of African American And Their Issues? Black People Politics 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Fox News Launches Racist Attack Against African-American Trump Critic Rep. Maxine Waters Black People Politics 28
Liberty Senegal : Being African American in Senegal Senegal 2
Liberty African American History Culture : A forgotten piece of African-American history on the Great Plains African American History Culture 4
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : beauty supply store-owner-choking-african-american-woman Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 76
Liberty Black Entertainment : Don’t Miss Pioneers of African-American Cinema on Netflix (and Other Viewing Suggestions) Black Entertainment 0
Liberty African American History Culture : Historic African-American Lincoln Cemetery faces a tangled present and uncertain future African American History Culture 0
Liberty African American History Culture : The Lesser-Known History of African-American Cowboys African American History Culture 2
chuck African American History Culture : What Does It Means To Labelled As African-American In 2017? African American History Culture 14
Liberty Black Entertainment : 'Bachelor' contestant Rachel Lindsay becomes first African-American 'Bachelorette' Black Entertainment 4
Liberty Black Education / Schools : Top 2017 African-American, Minority and Diversity Summer Internship Programs Black Education / Schools 0
Liberty Black Positive People : Meet The CEO Building A $75 Million Global Landmark For African American History Black People Doing Positive Things 0
IFE Black People : “Is This Generation of African-American Baby Boomers Getting Soft? Black People Open Forum 20
Liberty Black Money Business Jobs : New $100 Coin Features First-Ever African-American Lady Liberty Black Money Business Jobs 4