Black People : Are You a Leader ? If not - Why ?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Oct 19, 2007.

?

Are You a Leader ?

1. Yes

83.3%
  2. No

16.7%
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Are you a leader? If not, why?

We continue to criticize leaders for what they are / aren't doing, yet we ... you and i ... aren't willing to take on the task?

We complain about them, yet we were born with the same capability (of learning how), to move / influence our people positively.

So what is keeping you or any one of us, from doing the job, we say others should be doing?

Please help me understand this part Family ... and vote in the poll above.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I think most of us are leaders in some capacity. Whether that be our local orgs, families, or even our own selves.

In whatever capacity we lead we are subject to being held accountable for our leadership.

If we think we are above being questioned or being held accountable then we are poor leaders and those who would follow us...shouldn't.

Now if you are talking about national black leaders who derive most of their power from being covered by the european media....we'd be derelict of our duty if we didn't challenge them...especially when their leadership is not benefitting us and improving our children's future.

Just my .02.

Great thread. Love you sis :hearts4:

3. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    well my sister all i can say is this,if a person takes on a job they should do it whether it's leading a people or a household,as you well know the problem with our leaders today is that they're blinded by the lights..the spotlights,i think that most public people start out with good intentions but fame changes folk even a little ink make some think that it's all about them and that's when the ego runs rampent and trust is betrayed,as for the question of what prevents us from leading,life[we are-husbands,wives,parents]and most of us are tied up in leading our households and businesses but we care,i think that you are a leader destee for having this website that our people can come to and talk about the things that affect us in this country as well as in the global community.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    da leader is da first one to get shot........

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother Kemetkind ... i agree, i believe we all are (or should be), leaders. I said the same in 2003, 2006, and now. I've even started a few "leadership" threads over the years, but i wanted this one to be different.

I want us to focus specifically, on self, the leader in us, and not the leaders outside of us.

The topic often gets caught up in why we have a right (and even duty some would say) to criticize others who are leading. I'm hoping we can avoid this distraction, and focus only on self.

Right. I agree with this. But it begins to take us away from self, and our own self's critique, of our own leadership abilities.

Yes, i agree. If we manifest the above, no one will follow, for long.

Again though, this is the critique of someone else. I want to challenge us to critique our own selves, determining for self, if you are a leader and to put the same critiques on yourself, that we are so quick to put on others.

To me, with the little bit of leadership experience i've had, this is probably a lesson a leader learns early in the process. (So for all the leaders, this should not be new news.) I believe a good leader will learn how easy it is for those not leading, to tell you how to lead. It's like the leader is out there digging the ditch, in the hot sun ... while others not willing to lead, will stand on the porch, drinking lemonade, talking about, dig more to the left. This, instead of going out there, grabbing the shovel, and saying ... move, let me dig the ditch. But they don't do that, they just yell from the porch.

I think (good) leaders are slow to make these kinds of critiques, because they've been there.

So i'd ask the Family, those who are leaders, have you experienced this? If so, what was it like?

Brother Kemetkind ... again ... this isn't about anyone else's leadership demonstrability ... lol ... is that a word ??? ... if not, it should be ... :)

Even in this situation though, how much energy should go into complaining about what someone else is or isn't doing vs doing it better yourself? I suppose if we talk negatively about the Sister or Brother doing what they are doing, long and hard enough, they'll stop or go in another direction, do better ... or someone else will believe what you say, and think little of their leadership abilities. I suppose these are notable goals.

If the national Black leader is really so bad, their work will speak for itself, and they will not be our leaders long, if at all. They'll be the media's leaders, and everyone will know it. I don't know if it takes us throwing rocks at them, to bring them down ... they're coming down anyway, aren't they? I don't know.

But again, it's soooo easy to get off of self, and on to another. I've tried to have this same discussion a few times, and it always ends up looking at what someone else is doing, and not what self is doing.

I want to focus on and challenge the leader in us, and not the leader(s) outside of us.

Thank you for all you give ... i love you back! :grouphug:

Destee

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother Oldiesman ... thank you for the compliment / condemnation, regarding me being a leader. It truly is a two-edged sword. I do agree that we all are leaders in some way or another, or should be. I don't agree that more of us don't do it because we have lives, as most leaders have lives too. I think more don't do it, because it's easier to do a little, while complaining about those who do a lot. Also the task is filled with challenges, death even promised (in some cases), usually no pay, a little appreciation if you're lucky, etc. I remember starting a thread, Benefits Package for a Revolutionary. It is sparse to non-existant. It's a great sacrifice to be a leader, in most cases. We give our youth no reason to want to devote their life, to such a task. Maybe it's just that some are leaders on different levels, some stopping at level 1, and some going on to level 2,3,4, etc.

Maybe that's how i should ask the poll question, at what level leader, do you consider yourself.

Level 1 ... leading your children, family, friends, neighbors (1,000 people and less)

Level 2 ... leading your local community (5,000 people and less)

Level 3 ... leading nationally (10,000 people and less)

Level 4 ... leading internationally (20,000 people and less)

Level 5 ... leading millions from all over the world (or from one particular place)

That's real rough, just off the top of my head, but you get the idea ... i think there's probably levels of leadership.

Thanks for sharing Brother Oldiesman!

Destee

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother James ... i'm really surprised at your post, though you did stay on topic, speaking for self ... :weights: :toast:

But Brother James ... okay ... never mind ... i'm gonna accept the greatness of your answer, and bow down ... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Thank You!

Destee

8. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    One cannot focus only on self and be a leader at the same time.

To focus only on self is fine, some folks are comfortable with that. But if all you do is worry about you and your own little world you cannot give the required attention to the world of others to qualify yourself a good leader.

A good leader is the exact opposite of someone who focuses only on self. This applies to his/her responsibilities of criticism as well as encouragement.

Okay, but in this case I wasn't speaking only of others.

remember I said earlier
    When I wrote "we" I initially started with "I"...for I was thinking of my own experiences. But I didn't use "they", meaning I wasn't excluding myself.

But again, to the point, whenever you see someone talking about "I", "I","I", and constantly seeking to maintain focus on themselves, they are not demonstrating effective leadership.

Many will follow a dictatorial leader....be it a benevolent dictator or a sadistic one....that is... as long as they are convinced his/her path is correct.

How do they remain convinced even when the leaders path is foul? Because others who know better fail to demonstrate leadership and speak out (or take action) against them. See Hitler's rise to power. See multinational conglomerates of corporate america.

Yes, I said it is our responsibility to critique our national leaders if they aren't being effective. So in this case I'm not talking about self because I am not a national leader.

If I were a national leader, I would expect critiques and welcome them. Openly encourage them. Those critiques would be my lifeline.

Sista Destee, I don't agree with this at all.

It indicates a certain amount of contempt leaders have for their followers. Good leaders don't operate this way in my experience.

They consider followers giving input to their leadership as their MOST valuable asset.

Good leaders understand they aren't the ones digging the ditch, they are inspiring others to dig the ditch.

Their job is to make sure the right ditches in the right direction are getting dug and getting dug the right way.

When leaders have the attitude you described towards those whom they presume to be leading, in most cases they are artificial leaders, or leaders that have been installed by some external force.

They may have structural power but they are usually not TRULY subject to the people they lead (see appointed political officials).

What you're describing is a manager, not a leader.

I agree with this to an extent. Good leaders are very slow to criticize. But they make critiques, they are required to. It's part of the job description.

They will deliver those critiques carefully and cautiously, making sure the critique is followed by motivation and an action plan to reach the desired change.

But they won't refrain from doing this simply because they've experienced criticism or critique themselves.

Listen to the speeches of any our great leaders. All of them critique something and then propose a better way.

Leaders effect change.

Which means they must inspire others to visualize what's wrong with the things needing changing, and what's right with their suggested approach.

It's not about "complaining", or talking negatively for the sake of it, it's about identifying what's wrong and suggesting a better course.

Yes, there are some cases where we have to take matters into our own hands and become the leaders to do the job others aren't doing or won't do. Sometimes that's the best way forward.

Other times, that is not feasible, so effectively communicating our concerns is the way. Most of us have used both approaches at one time or another.

Without the people getting the message out destructive leaders would come down only when the media decides to take them down.

"Throwing rocks" is no good.

Giving voice to legitimate concerns is our duty.

It sounds like what you're really after is for people to list what they are doing that demonstrates they are leaders.

If so, why the words about whether we should be criticizing leaders?

Why not just say, "Are you a leader? If so, tell me what makes you one?"....and leave it at that?

A noble ambition. To me they are all connected.

In some cases, the role of the leader in us will be to challenge and focus leaders outside of us. The power of the internet allows anyone to play this role without having to be a professional journalist or media personality.

This role is crucial and should not be minimized.

I agree with your basic point though, which to me (simplified) is "walk the walk if you talk the talk."

:grouphug:

9. Africana

Africana Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am a leader because I do not follow nor do I conform to other's views. I foregoe my own conclusions and most of what I know is self-taught.

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother Kemetkind ... i had actually composed the biggest part of a great response to you, and i lost it, got distracted with something else, forgot it was over there, and closed the browsers to reboot ... and poof ... it was gone! Plus, i was lamenting (at the time) that i had even engaged you, as you're not an easy debater, and i had to think hard and long to come up with the right response (of course i did come up with it, just lost it ... :)) ... no matter though ... things have been krazee for me lately, and i'm just getting back on track, and will be responding soon ... just want you to know i've not forgot about this great discussion!

Thanks everyone who has shared and voted thus far!

Much Love and Peace.

Destee