Black People : Are We?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Nisa, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Are we really proud of our masculinity/femininity

I ask this question because men are braiding their hair, piercing their ears.
    Women cutting their hair lower than mens, stopping their menstrual cycles,and dressing in masculine ways.
    Are we really embracing it? Tell me, I need to know. Why cant we be happy with the roles/gender The Almighty gave to us? Tell me, I need to know.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is an interesting question Nisa. Gender roles in this country have been confused for a little while now. Dress & appearance could very well be a physical manifestation of this trend. I have neither braids nor piercings, although I do not consider certain braids (cornrows) to be feminine. I don't find women with short hair (buzz cuts) to be attractive though, as you stated, it looks to masculine. Maybe those who do dress in these ways can shed some lght for us!

3. fanyamambo

fanyamambo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I have short hair. So did all my grandmother and my ancestors before her. Many traditional customs have men and women both with some form of ear piercing or ear extension. I don't know what roles the almighty gave us. Or which almighty we are speaking of anyway. Most of the laws of dressing I see now came on a ship with the "civilizers"

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    i like short hair.
    it is clean.

5. teleroda2000

teleroda2000 Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    So what do you mean by women cutting thier hair? You do realize that most black women well indigenous black women have natural short hair so I hope you are not equating long hair with being more feminine if so you are ignorant. Now would you
    prefer all black women to wear fake hair all thier lives?

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I assume that Nisa was referring to buzz cuts (which isn't natural), rather than short hair.

7. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I take extremely strong issue with the insinuation that Sistah Nisa is ignorant. She is a totally together Black queen. We are about love here. We don't call each other names.

8. Nisa

Ratings:
    +31

Excuse me, you should respect me, and not call me ignorant. I wouldn't call you ignorant. I am talking about women who cut their hair real short to the point it looks like a man's..like a low fade. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

9. Nisa

Ratings:
    +31

And my hair is not real long either, I cut the perm out of it, so it is real thick and strong, and feminine..you wont see me walking around with a Jay Z cut and expect someone to treat me like a lady. Ughhh smh

10. teleroda2000

teleroda2000 Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    So you think it's okay for her to say that short hair is masculine well if so then you too
    are ignorant. I am an real looking sister with dark skin and natural short hair
    and no one mistakes me for a man. However I do have people like the person
    who started this thread telling me I need to fix my hair meaning get some weave
    just because they think short hair on a women is ugly or gay although my hair is naturally and I am all woman they still say it is boyish to have short hair and it is not so get over the white man idea of beauty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.