Black People : Are we walking targets?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by blazejay, Aug 14, 2014.

1. blazejay

blazejay Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +165
    This is a good question because the police are shooting anything that is moving or breathing.
    What are y'all take on the situation?

2. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

No, they aren't shooting anything. I repeatedly ask the question: When has a rash of unarmed white men been gunned down by the cops?

3. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    i remember readin that we were 6 times more likely to be shot by cops than a white was - up to 8 times more likely in some parts - id say a large part of that is clearly down to racist cops - but i reckon another form of racism maybe comes into play to - lookin at the stats itd seem we commit more crimes in relative terms than the other races here - if true id say its quite likely cuz we are the ones dispoportianly deprived an disadvantaged - so even the cop who isnt of himself racist - maybe even a black cop is gonna suspect us of doin things more than there suspect whites - suspect of of bein more violent and more likely to resist arest to

4. writer33

writer33 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +85
    Dear Blazejay, Kemetstry and Dreya....

Thoughts that I posted here elsewhere in this:

This is flat out inexcusable racism. This seems to be yet another terrible event that spills forth out of a society that has forged a dangerous combination of massively militarized police and long-embedded institutional racism.

A portion of a report from TruthOut (QUOTING):

This profile doesn't describe a kid who would snatch a gun from a cop's hand while walking home to his grandmother's. Yet that is precisely the absurd claim that Ferguson police are putting forth. Given a long history in American policing of covering up police misconduct - and the readiness of a public to believe the worst about black men - it's not surprising they're making the claim. More problematic is when media outlets parrot Ferguson PD's absurd version of events.

The other young man with Brown says the officer initiated the altercation from inside his vehicle by demanding the two men "get the **** on the sidewalk," then slamming his car door into Brown, then grabbing Brown by the throat from his vehicle before firing multiple rounds into Brown.

The inculcation of a "warrior" mindset within the police, and the extreme militarization of police forces thanks to federal anti-drug and terror programs that slather departments with cash and weapons, only embolden a feeling of invulnerability that leads to itchy trigger fingers like the one that killed Brown.

Recent surreal events drive the point home even further: Against all reason, the president of New York's police union claims that an unarmed man choked to death by an NYPD officer could not have been killed by a chokehold, dismissing a medical examiner's classification of the death as a homicide as politically motivated.
    (END QUOTES)

The Color of Change noted, "Eye witnesses report that the police officer, who has yet to be identified, fired several shots at Michael as the teen stood in the street with his hands in the air."

From Trayvon Martin and all of this, and given other reports on these Orwellian-like trends of police being militarized and armed as if they are going to be shipped to Iraq or Afghanistan, it all makes me wonder just what the hell is being taught in our police academies of how average citizens the "men in blue" are sworn to protect -- are actually being instructed, instead, toward a mindset of civilians being all viewed as potential "suspects," if not enemies?? And worse, to be "especially cautious" in poorer (meaning black) neighborhoods?

5. writer33

writer33 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +85
    Then more recently on Black Singles Alums, a sub-group on Facebook that I have been affiliated for several years. I watched the video of the young friend of Brown's as he described his friend being gunned down "like an animal."

A very sharp black friend posted on the reactions and the looting. My reply to him, and he later didn't disagree, but he did expand on the issue of racism. And in that, I have no disagreement:

I have to agree. The looting is inexcusable....but then, so is shooting an unarmed black teen for doing NOTHING but minding his own business walking down the street with his friend. And that makes the anger that led to the looting understandable. I admire his father pleading for calm outside, while on the inside he and the family have to be suffering unfathomable agony. And far better than looting and destroying your own neighborhood, there should be civil rights and murder proceedings instituted against the city and the police department, and specifically the racism, cruelty and murder committed by this officer. Let's hope the FBI opens this sore of militarized mob rule that seems to be infecting police department mentality everywhere.

6. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    This is the saddest question I have seen in this forum, unfortunately this brother is not alone, in this eye opening today's reality. If you are a so Black man and you don't know that you are a moving target in America, your education is greatly lacking both domestically and academically, you have to step up your game, learn your history.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    As far as I'm concerned, yes, and it's always been that way.

8. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    A large part of us being shot by cops is due to racist cops.... The small part. What is that due to?

What stats are you looking at that say we commit MORE crime than other races? What crimes are those that WE commit more of? Do any other races commit more crimes than blacks, and what are those crimes?

Are you saying POOR people commit crimes more than middle or upper class people? Got any proof of that?

Black cops AND white cops suspect black people will RESIST arrest when they say "you're under arrest?"

9. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    US Bureau of Justice stats was what i was goin on for the racial stats - now course they dont have stats on who actually commits a crime - cuz if the crime aint solved they wont have no idea who did it - but of the people sent to prison we feature pretty highly - now i know theres problems likely with racism in the court system to but still if you look at this report of theres it dont look good....

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/pim09st.pdf

Fifty-three percent of people in prison earned less than $10,000 per year before incarceration.
    Source: "The Economic Costs of Childhood Poverty in the United States," The Journal of Children and Poverty March 2008

as with all stats its hard to know how accurate they are

10. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    In answer to your saying:

I asked:
    So by your link you're saying poverty inclines one to criminality? Middle and upper class people are LESS criminally inclined than poor people?

OR, does your link say that poor people are more likely to go to jail when charged with a crime than middle and upper class people? We KNOW who is in jail. Some of us know the reason others aren't.

Btw, where's your link for DUIs since you're saying "maybe the reason...." Not that whites go to jail for DUIs - think something like 8 times MORE whites arrested for DUI than black? - but that "is" a crime.

In short, can the "excuses" for racism and open season on young black men by cops, racist or otherwise. By bringing up b.s. OVERALL stats (only a fool believes they reflect criminal reality), you provide an excuse for murderers, whether you realize it or not.

Now what about the MAJORITY of the questions asked, to wit:

A large part of us being shot by cops is due to racist cops.... The small part. What is that due to?
    What stats are you looking at that say we commit MORE crime than other races? What crimes are those that WE commit more of? Do any other races commit more crimes than blacks, and what are those crimes?
    Black cops AND white cops suspect black people will RESIST arrest when they say "you're under arrest?"