Black Christians : Are we truly Christians, or, are we Mashiahians?

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Are we truly Christians, or are we Mashiahians?

The following information will be considered obscure and perhaps even confusing for most so-called Christians, but be encouraged to read on and accept wisdom, which is to say, applied knowledge.

It must be understood by students of the scriptures that the Greek word Christian is derived from the Greek word Christos, which is a title, which means anointed. The word 'Christos 'was in existence long before the birth of the Messiah. It is important to understand the context in which this word was used in everyday life prior to it being associated with the Messiah.
The Greek Christos is a translation of the Hebrew Mashiah anointed (of the Lord), MESSIAH ...” http://www.plim.org/92didu.html
Plain and simple, were the Disciples called Christians before and after the death of Yashua, Jesus, Eashoa…no they were not. What did they call themselves before being given the name Christians from non-Christians or non-followers of Christos, typically derived from Romans? They called themselves believers, brothers/sisters and saints:

Prior to their adoption of the name, the Christians called themselves believers <Acts 5:14>, brothers <Acts 6:3>, or saints <Acts 9:13>, names which also continued to be used ... (From Nelson’s Illustrated Bible Dictionary) (Copyright (C) 1986, Thomas Nelson Publishers)."
And since the twelve Apostles and followers of the (Mashiah) Messiah were Hebrew, wouldn’t they come in His name, Yahshua, and not the Greek title Christ? The Messiah told them at His ascension to preach in His name in Matt. 28:19 -20: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father (Yahweh), and of the Son (Elohim), and of the Holy Ghost (Yahshua - Jn. 14:26): Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." http://www.plim.org/92didu.html

Most Bible commentaries confirm that the name Christian was not invented by the disciples or followers of the Messiah. Besides, the original context of the words Christos and Christians was derogatory:

Hastings Dictionary of the Bible further states that Roman authorities gave the Messiah’s followers the name ‘Christians’ but the word itself to the pagans is associated with heinous crimes and vices. In this section "4. The Meaning of the Name.- The Roman authorities, who first designated the disciples of Jesus as Christians, attempted thereby to characterize them as a political group or party, held together by their loyalty to the party head, Christos. While originally the title was given for juridical convenience without implying a derogatory sense, the pagan mob must at a very early time have associated it with heinous crimes and vices ... Not too much emphasis should be placed, therefore upon the etymology of christos. Though literally meaning the ‘Anointed One," i.e. the Messiah, the title soon lost its original denotation and became a personal name in the Greek-speaking church."
The earliest occurrences of the term in non-Christian literature include Josephus, referring to "the tribe of Christians, so named from him;"[8] Pliny the Younger in correspondence with Trajan; and Tacitus, writing near the end of the first century. In the Annals he relates that "by vulgar appellation [they were] commonly called Christians" [9] and identifies Christians as Nero's scapegoats for the Great Fire of Rome.[10]
Etymology

The Greek word Χριστιανός (christianos)—meaning "follower of Christ"—comes from Χριστός (christos)—meaning "anointed one"[4]—with an adjectival ending borrowed from Latin to denote adhering to, or even belonging to, as in slave ownership.[5] In the Greek Septuagint, christos was used to translate the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Mašíaḥ, messiah), meaning "[one who is] anointed."[6] In other European languages, equivalent words to 'Christian' are likewise derived from the Greek, such as 'Chrétien' in French and 'Cristiano' in Spanish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian

As one that believes and accepts the Bible to be the Word of God, for some time now I have preferred to be simply called a brother or believer, and in particular, man of the pew, as indicated in my published work, Does Color Matter?

Clyde C. Coger, Jr.
Man of the Pew

Last edited:
Are we truly Christians, or are we Mashiahians?

The following information will be considered obscure and perhaps even confusing for most so-called Christians, but be encouraged to read on and accept wisdom, which is to say, applied knowledge.

It must be understood by students of the scriptures that the Greek word Christian is derived from the Greek word Christos, which is a title, which means anointed. The word 'Christos 'was in existence long before the birth of the Messiah. It is important to understand the context in which this word was used in everyday life prior to it being associated with the Messiah.
The Greek Christos is a translation of the Hebrew Mashiah anointed (of the Lord), MESSIAH ...”
http://www.plim.org/92didu.html

Plain and simple, were the Disciples called Christians before and after the death of Yashua, Jesus, Eashoa…no they were not. What did they call themselves before being given the name Christians from non-Christians or non-followers of Christos, typically derived from Romans? They called themselves believers, brothers/sisters and saints:

Prior to their adoption of the name, the Christians called themselves believers <Acts 5:14>, brothers <Acts 6:3>, or saints <Acts 9:13>, names which also continued to be used ... (From Nelson’s Illustrated Bible Dictionary) (Copyright (C) 1986, Thomas Nelson Publishers)."

And since the twelve Apostles and followers of the (Mashiah) Messiah were Hebrew, wouldn’t they come in His name, Yahshua, and not the Greek title Christ? The Messiah told them at His ascension to preach in His name in Matt. 28:19 -20: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father (Yahweh), and of the Son (Elohim), and of the Holy Ghost (Yahshua - Jn. 14:26): Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." http://www.plim.org/92didu.html

Most Bible commentaries confirm that the name Christian was not invented by the disciples or followers of the Messiah. Besides, the original context of the words Christos and Christians was derogatory:

Hastings Dictionary of the Bible further states that Roman authorities gave the Messiah’s followers the name ‘Christians’ but the word itself to the pagans is associated with heinous crimes and vices. In this section "4. The Meaning of the Name.- The Roman authorities, who first designated the disciples of Jesus as Christians, attempted thereby to characterize them as a political group or party, held together by their loyalty to the party head, Christos. While originally the title was given for juridical convenience without implying a derogatory sense, the pagan mob must at a very early time have associated it with heinous crimes and vices ... Not too much emphasis should be placed, therefore upon the etymology of christos. Though literally meaning the ‘Anointed One," i.e. the Messiah, the title soon lost its original denotation and became a personal name in the Greek-speaking church."

The earliest occurrences of the term in non-Christian literature include Josephus, referring to "the tribe of Christians, so named from him;"[8] Pliny the Younger in correspondence with Trajan; and Tacitus, writing near the end of the first century. In the Annals he relates that "by vulgar appellation [they were] commonly called Christians" [9] and identifies Christians as Nero's scapegoats for the Great Fire of Rome.[10]

Etymology​

The Greek word Χριστιανός (christianos)—meaning "follower of Christ"—comes from Χριστός (christos)—meaning "anointed one"[4]—with an adjectival ending borrowed from Latin to denote adhering to, or even belonging to, as in slave ownership.[5] In the Greek Septuagint, christos was used to translate the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Mašíaḥ, messiah), meaning "[one who is] anointed."[6] In other European languages, equivalent words to 'Christian' are likewise derived from the Greek, such as 'Chrétien' in French and 'Cristiano' in Spanish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian

As one that believes and accepts the Bible to be the Word of God, for some time now I have preferred to be simply called a brother or believer, and in particular, man of the pew, as indicated in my published work, Does Color Matter?

Bro Clyde,

I have a copy of your book and in it too, you say that you go by the King James Version. Does my memory serve me correctly?

Now, in this version, the term 'Christians' is written and i believe it was said that the term was first used in Syria referring to 'the believers' there? This term was used, I believe, after Jesus had come?

At any rate, the information is good because, it was the Greeks that did interact with the believers and etc. Also, during the Greek Empire times, the scattered tribes were so apart of their culture and all of this comes into the picture regarding languages and script.

I don't have a problem with either term though. It is frustrating with so much exploitations of the term 'Christ' and 'Christianity' over the course of thousands of years though in terms of the big governments involvement with confusing the very purpose of Jesus. This info reminds me of the word 'HEBREW' of which i've read was at one time considered a derogatory term too. It reminds me about Joseph, the Vizier when he advise his family of their low caste position in regards to the Egyptians because of their way of life. It is so amazing how terms can be propagandized to be viewed as socially acceptable or derogatory and then overtime, meanings vary from time to time.

I appreciated the research.

Thanks.

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Bro Clyde,

I have a copy of your book and in it too, you say that you go by the King James Version. Does my memory serve me correctly?

Now, in this version, the term 'Christians' is written and i believe it was said that the term was first used in Syria referring to 'the believers' there? This term was used, I believe, after Jesus had come?

At any rate, the information is good because, it was the Greeks that did interact with the believers and etc. Also, during the Greek Empire times, the scattered tribes were so apart of their culture and all of this comes into the picture regarding languages and script.

I don't have a problem with either term though. It is frustrating with so much exploitations of the term 'Christ' and 'Christianity' over the course of thousands of years though in terms of the big governments involvement with confusing the very purpose of Jesus. This info reminds me of the word 'HEBREW' of which i've read was at one time considered a derogatory term too. It reminds me about Joseph, the Vizier when he advise his family of their low caste position in regards to the Egyptians because of their way of life. It is so amazing how terms can be propagandized to be viewed as socially acceptable or derogatory and then overtime, meanings vary from time to time.

I appreciated the research.

Thanks.

Yes Chevron,

I do love the King James Version over the other versions. This research demonstrates the difficulty in translating and transliterating the Hebrew word Mashiah, and the end result of the substitute Greek word Christos/Christianity, which moved away from Biblical correctness.

Last edited:
Yes Chevron,

I do love the King James Version over the other versions. This research demonstrates the difficulty in translating and transliterating the Hebrew word Mashiah, and the end result of the substitute Greek word Christos/Christianity, which moved away from Biblical correctness.

Okay.

In the Concordance of my King James version it does state that the english words used have a deeper meaning. And also, Jesus did say that we had to research the words and scripture. So, this is great.

as far as it being Biblically correct, i think that the translation and meaning with regards to Jesus is great for me. it works for me.

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Okay.

In the Concordance of my King James version it does state that the english words used have a deeper meaning. And also, Jesus did say that we had to research the words and scripture. So, this is great.

as far as it being Biblically correct, i think that the translation and meaning with regards to Jesus is great for me. it works for me.

Chevron,

I follow what you are saying about what Jesus said about searchng the scriptures, but what is your position on the KJ version implying that Greek words are deeper than Hebrew words? Are you saying that you accept what the Concordance says about the English words having a deeper meaning?

I'm not sure what you mean about the biblical correctness, in terms of meaning, provided by the translation on Jesus; I'm sure you have a particular point to make, and I'm curious to know what it is.

Last edited:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back