Black People : ARE WE TOO WEAK TO VOTE?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jul 30, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,746
    "i don't vote and never will again"

how many people feel this way? why?

2. caramelpython

caramelpython Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +42
    ??????????????? ??????????????? ??????????????? ????

:( Not voteing is stupid in my eyes........ :(

3. GhostDog15

GhostDog15 Active Member MEMBER

Chiefs Aid, Waiter, Bus Boy
    Ratings:
    +0
    heh, heard there was online voting this year..... but i hope people go the good old fasion way.... to a crappy middle school

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
  5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother JamesFrmPhilly ... i kinda knew Brother Therious would not be happy with the way you presented this thread ... but not being the full psychic that i hope to be one day, i thot i might be wrong, so i waited to see.

Brother JamesFrmPhilly ... on the surface, it appears that you are calling Brother Therious weak, when i'm sure that was not your intention (right?). This was done by simply adding his name to the initial post, while titling it as you did. It would have been better to leave his name out of it, while keeping all other things the same.

How to turn it around? Hmmm ... perhaps assuring him that you were not personally attacking him.

:heart:

Destee

6. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    having faith in a bogus system of fraud is even stupider...............

7. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    Therious,

I felt like that and had no intention of voting. I expressed this on another thread but then I believe it was River that reminded me of our struggle to get to the point where we COULD vote. I knew better, but then I was just kinda fed up with the deterioration of the democratic party and the games they play on blacks every term to get our vote as they so assuringly know we will give it. Well they ain't gittin' mine this time. Kerry is just about as sorry as they come and in the past, Clinton really sucked too. (oh I know I'm gonna git it for saying that :argue: , but it's the truth) and Bush is just about as bullish and thick-headed as they come, Though I don't agree with his tactics in dealing with terrorism, I am impressed with the amazing "comeback" of our economy after the 9/11 tragedy for it hasn't been this good overall in over 25 years. Thus, even though he is a republican, I will definitely be (beat me :spank: ) voting for him. Kerry hasn't shown me anything and I be doggone if I'm gonna vote for him just because he's a democratic :nono: . Naw...I ain't going there no more. :puke2:

For black people, no matter what party has been in office...we are still lacking in some things and this really bothers me. Yet...I will be voting :(

Moreover, I still respect the opinion of blacks who choose not to vote.
    Sometimes, I think we should ALL "sit it out" and not vote at all during presidential elections until some things change. That can prove to be more powerful than voting, I believe. Yeah, sometimes I think we should let them know that we are going to "boycott" :yawn: the elections if they (either party) don't start working towards the benefit of the African American community in a more pointed and targeted way.

Just my 2 cents...Joyce running out of here...fast!

~j

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,746
    i went back and edited my posts.

i come from a generation that went out in the street and changed things.
    a lot of people fought and suffered and some died to get this vote.
    they were STRONG.

i see red when i hear people having the attitude that it is stupid to vote.
    maybe some more diplomatic people can join the conversation and make the point better than i make it.
    that's what i am trying to do here, get others involved who can be more patient.

it's hard for me to see the martyrs dishonored.

9. sweetbrownsugar

sweetbrownsugar Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Much respect still to those who aren't going to vote one way or the other they have that choice. But to me, It's straight up stupid. How can a people that once stood up for everything fall for anything. A little bit of difference is better than none. There's never going to be the perfect president. But we don't have to let the worst one sit his ***in the house. Those of us who think we are not voting it's just like I said...you ARE voting in a way. You are making a big difference still sitting on that couch not voting. When you go to that FootLocker store, buy them Nike's, these malt liquors and liquors some of us like to sip on on the weekends or whatever, and a lot of this stuff that is not black financed or black-backed you are putting money in these white rich republicans (and I'm sure democrat's) pockets! Who in turn...along with their families are voting and funding things to make sure people like Bush stay in office.....See they know most of you(white or black) ain't gonna do nothing but run to the nearest store buy the latest hip-hop CD, pair of sneakers....stuff like that or worse stand in line for government assistance! They can depend on that. Bush and his crew depends on that. When he cuts that tax credit check he depends on some of our complacent behinds to run to these stores and put that money in the pockets of people who are funding/backing/voting for him! For those of you who like to drive these real nice SUV's and rides. Wear the Tommy Hilfiger. The Nikes. Not Voting?!!! Then you got da nerve to wear a shoe made in a country where bush is sendin' all the JOBS! I say, let all the people who are not voting...all hop on a milk carton and float off to a country like Haiti....let them stay there for a good five months to return and let's see how they feel about voting. There are more poor people in this country than rich....like I said, we can keep a democrat in the house atleast if we got up off our ***(-shy behinds)...And Kerry looks like a straight up crook!..But Bush ain't got to be the one to steal the race. All the voting machines in every state ain't broke. -I just moved here from VA BEACH,VA whoever that was in the other reply box and that is one of the MAIN states/cities that need to get up and vote with all them military bases there they are glad we poor black and white don't vote. because those republicans there love that military money/revenue coming out of there they don't want No DEMOCRAT having any say about anything there....they barely won't black people down on that strip. And that's why it is so, expensive there...to keep out the riffraff. You already see how they trying to clean up "ocean view" throw out all those poor black and white people so those pretty brand new houses JUDY BOONE building for the white people with money can be up in there. (They cleanin' that place up getting' it all purrty lookin' for them white folks: Norfolk, Portsmouth and Chesapeake and BAD-News have a lot of poor people who barely can afford to live there are COMPLACENT won't vote for somebody who will atleast make it comfortable for them but they'd rather sit with a thorn in there side as Bush run thangs) Chile! Y'all better get up and vote. DON'T ALWAYS EXPECT THE PRESIDENT TO WIPE YOUR *** WHEN YOU ****, BUT ATLEAST VOTE FOR ONE WHO WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH TISSUE!! -Holler if you hear me, don't just view respond even if you cuss me out.

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother JamesFrmPhilly ... i understand what you're saying, and agree that on the surface one might think others are weak (or some other disparaging word), when they fail to do what seems to be the most obvious thing to do.

This entire political system has disheartened many. Going back to the beginning on up and through our most recent presidential election. It seems there is no real representation for us in it, no matter how much we vote. It's a game played on their field, with their rules, adjusting them as they go ... and even when we play by the rules ... some of our votes have not counted, as well as the opportunity being taken from many as a result of their systemic racism. Politicians are often corrupt, can't tell who to trust or who not to trust. I believe there are some who are so disheartened, they simply don't want to play the game anymore. Does that make them weak or wise? I'd reck'n there are substantive arguments for both sides.

Regardless of which side we may find ourselves on, the challenge is to respect our Sister and Brother, for they probably feel as justified in their decision, as you do in yours.

If we really want to know how they got to the place they are, thinking like they do ... or want to move them back over to the "right" side of thinking ... we've got to ask in a way that encourages them to share, and not be offended.

:heart:

Destee