Black Spirituality Religion : Are we the religion we are born into?

sweet apple*pie

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 14, 2006
East Coast
Occupation
I am a student, and all though it is hardwork, it
Most of us take on the religion we were born into, from our parents. Typically speaking, I would say most of us carry on the beliefs that were bestowed on to us, by our mothers and fathers......would we have stumbled onto our religion, with out them? what do you think? What are the views of those who grew up in one religion, and decided to take the bold step, and become something else?

I was born into the basic Christian belief system. Just about every other relative in my family is a minister, deacon or priest and of course I followed the same basic pattern of faith. Several times in my young days I tried to pickup the Bible and read it but it was almost as if something was blocking my ability to read and understand the writing style. It was confusing and the lines, syntax and passages made absolutely no since in a cognitive or syntactical way. Basically my mind was too young to perceive. It wasn’t until my early 30s that I was drawn again to reading the entire Bible. I am 41 know and I haven’t put it down since and even expanded my reading of other Bibles such as Jewish scriptures, Egyptian, Ethiopian, etc…. But in reading all of them I continue to hold the Old Testament and Holy Scriptures as my basses for understanding. My family flipped when I told them I have come to see Jesus as he truly is and understand him as being Lucifer. They thought I had joined some cult and could not believe I had read the Bible on my own and came up with this idea, but each and everyone of them would agree that GOD was and is the absolute and final Word but they could not let go of Jesus because that is what was ingrained in their minds.

It made me realize that once black folks become comfortable with something even if it is wrong and can be proven wrong we will continue to do it, like crack dealers.

Religion and Spirituality chooses you and you will know when you have been chosen.

Sefirot said:
My parents raised me attending AME church. Never felt it was my calling. I can count the number of days I've been to church since 8th grade.
Same here. I think those of us who do not believe what our parents taught us have been exposed to more then what they gave us and ultimatley made a choice.

The funny thing is, I look at those who are growing up in my faith and see how they may (at least in my view) take for granted what they are given and act disinterested (kinda like I was in church)...go figure...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back