Black Spirituality Religion : Are we the religion we are born into?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by sweet apple*pie, Jul 1, 2006.

1. sweet apple*pie

sweet apple*pie Well-Known Member MEMBER

I am a student, and all though it is hardwork, it
    Ratings:
    +30
    Most of us take on the religion we were born into, from our parents. Typically speaking, I would say most of us carry on the beliefs that were bestowed on to us, by our mothers and fathers......would we have stumbled onto our religion, with out them? what do you think? What are the views of those who grew up in one religion, and decided to take the bold step, and become something else?

2. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    My parents raised me attending AME church. Never felt it was my calling. I can count the number of days I've been to church since 8th grade.

3. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    I was born into the basic Christian belief system. Just about every other relative in my family is a minister, deacon or priest and of course I followed the same basic pattern of faith. Several times in my young days I tried to pickup the Bible and read it but it was almost as if something was blocking my ability to read and understand the writing style. It was confusing and the lines, syntax and passages made absolutely no since in a cognitive or syntactical way. Basically my mind was too young to perceive. It wasn’t until my early 30s that I was drawn again to reading the entire Bible. I am 41 know and I haven’t put it down since and even expanded my reading of other Bibles such as Jewish scriptures, Egyptian, Ethiopian, etc…. But in reading all of them I continue to hold the Old Testament and Holy Scriptures as my basses for understanding. My family flipped when I told them I have come to see Jesus as he truly is and understand him as being Lucifer. They thought I had joined some cult and could not believe I had read the Bible on my own and came up with this idea, but each and everyone of them would agree that GOD was and is the absolute and final Word but they could not let go of Jesus because that is what was ingrained in their minds.

It made me realize that once black folks become comfortable with something even if it is wrong and can be proven wrong we will continue to do it, like crack dealers.

Religion and Spirituality chooses you and you will know when you have been chosen.

4. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    Same here. I think those of us who do not believe what our parents taught us have been exposed to more then what they gave us and ultimatley made a choice.

The funny thing is, I look at those who are growing up in my faith and see how they may (at least in my view) take for granted what they are given and act disinterested (kinda like I was in church)...go figure...

5. sweet apple*pie

Ratings:
    +30
    Hey I am not familiar with AME church....what is that?

Music.....why do you feel as if Jesus is Lucifer? I have never heard that interpretation......

6. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    We forgot the use

of the pick--until 1960, thus one of the original tools to manage our spiral hair.

My answer is yes. The collusion of the many who ran the slave trade stripped us of our original spirituality rather than any particular religion.

Since antiquity--Afrikans have known the oneness of GOD. This is commonly shared knowledge amongst all Afrikan nations up to this day..

7. Jflex!

Jflex! Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Thnk about it, if it were not for being "born into" religions, especially christianity which is what most Black folks follow, we could be "free"
    by now. But, instead we continue to pray to the white jesus in the sky
    and wait around to die...to go to heaven.

8. sweet apple*pie

Ratings:
    +30

JFLEX....How do you know that Jesus is white?? No one living has ever seen him. Just because the white race announces he is white, doesn't mean he is....dont you agree? The convince us everything is white. If you know Jesus in your heart, he can be whatever color you want him no be...OR no color at all. Dont dis-own Jesus, because of what color some people claim he is. They are ignorant. What is your belief?

Fine 1952- Elaborate on what you mean as far as stripping us of our spirituality. I dont disgree with you, just would like to know exactly what you mean.

9. conflict

conflict Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    No we are not the religion that we are born into. Nor do I think that it matters all that much what one you follow as long as you believe that there is only one god who created everything. I dont try to look down on anybodys religion because no matter whom you serve basically its all about living your life as righteously as possible.

10. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    AME: African Methodist Episcopal http://www.ame-church.com/about-us/
    To me it always seemed like Baptist/Christian church with no white references or pictures... or people in the case of mine own.
    Same doctrine though.

*Edit*
    I think it's important to note here that the final stage in the cardinal principles of making a knee-grow (one who grows on his knees) is to "put the fear of god in him."

According to willie lynch:

"When it comes to breaking the uncivilized ******, use the same process, but vary the degree and step up the pressure, so as to do a complete reversal of the mind. Take the meanest and most restless ******, strip him of his clothes in front of the remaining male *******, the female, and the ****** infant, tar and feather him, tie each leg to a different horse faced in opposite directions, set him afire and beat both horses to pull him apart in front of the remaining *******. The next step is to take a bullwhip and beat the remaining ****** males to the point of death, in front of the female and the infant. Don’t kill him, but PUT THE FEAR OF GOD IN HIM, for he can be useful for future breeding."

To what god is he referring?
    What god are we following?
    Where has doing so led us since?

Can you imagine, no, realize the torment?
    Is it any wonder that we choose to forget the past altogether for this false and illusionary existence?
    It is not unlike a child who creates multiple personalities because of traumatic experiences at a young age.

Our enemy shifts shapes.
    Our enemy existed before the white man.
    Evil existed before the white man.
    Opposition to The Most High existed before the white man.

That spirit still exists within and without the white man.
    This religion teaches us to embrace this spirit, as does our society and our newly found "african american culture."

Yes, we are the religion we are born into until we are born out of it.

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_2167.shtml

Additional Note: “Henty Berry, speaking in the Virginia House of Delegates in 1832, described the situation as it existed in many parts of the South at this time: “We have, as far as possible, closed every avenue by which light may enter their (the slaves) minds. If we could extinguish the capacity to see the light, our work would be complete; they would then be on a level with the beasts of the field and we should be safe. I am not certain that we would not do it, if we could find out the process and that on the plea of necessity.” From Brown America, The story of a New Race by Edwin R. Embree. 1931 The Viking Press.

We must enlighten our Selves.
    Then we must enlighten our Black family.
    We cannot be a "fisher of men" until we get out of the pond ourselves.