Black People : Are We Still Slaves?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by A007, Mar 19, 2003.

1. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    In this land of opportunity and freedom (almost), it is my belief that we still act like slaves!!!

Definitons:

1. a person held in servitude as the property of another

2. a person who has lost self-control and is dominated by
    something or someone.

Now technically we do not fall under the first definition. Although, a convincing case can be made the we are the property of white america. But I will focus on definition number two. There is no doubt that as a race we are the very definiton of slave(#2).

We have lost control of our capacity to think for ourselves. This could have very well happened at the beginning of slavery. And I realized the profound effect that it has had on our people (because i see it every day). But...isn't it time for us to become self aware and enlightened??!!

We as a race have more ablility than any other race on the planet but we don't know it and if we do we don't show it outside of sports and entertainment. Why is that??...because we still think like slaves! We are still walking around talking about the white man keeps us down. Mr Chalie won't treat us fairly. We have to change the laws to be equal. We need affirmative action. We need reparations. For give my english but that is BULLSH*T.
    ALL WE NEED TO DO IS CHANGE THE WAY WE THINK AND THE WAY WE ACT......PERIOD.

Don't get me wrong...I know we are still treated like second class citizens, but we are only second class if we believe it(and most of us do.) Any time you are put in a position of weakness by asking, petitioning, or demanding something from someone whom does not want to give it to you...you are second class in their eyes and your own(even if you don't think you feel that way). Basically you are saying to them and to yourself that" I need you to GIVE me 'THIS' in order for me to be complete, validated, and/or equal." 'THIS' ranges from respect, equal treatment, money, apologies, or whatever else we rightfully deserve but they are not willing to give. The fact of the matter is we don't have to ask them for ANYTHING. We are smart enough, capable enough, strong enough, and believe or not..free enough to get all that we deserve and want without their help and inspite of their hinderance. The reason we don't???? WE HAVE NOT LEARNED TO THINK AND DO FOR OURSELVES.

(I will try to keep this brief...forgive the long windedness). There are a few reasons we will not prosper even if white america became enlightened. First we still have no sence of community. This started in slavery when they split families up to undermine the strength that comes from trust and love of family and freinds. We have still not recovered and we have actually taken it a step further. Our families split up and never form family or freinds in their communities ever again. We can not build a foundation for prosperity with love and trust for one another in a community that has the best interest of the group/race rather than the best interest of self. And within this we have people who do become successful and move away and are never heard from again (in their communities). It is like when slaves got free and never went back....but the difference is they COULDN'T go back. Nowadays we CHOOSE not to go back because we feel we are better than that place where we came from. Well here is news to you diserters....you will never be better than the place where you are from in the white mans eyes....only your own....and in that case whom does it benefit--Noone--not even yourself because now you don't have a true home because when its time to choose sides believe me...you will not be on theirs.

Next we are still teaching an outdated method of getting education and financial empowerment. The admonition of go to school get a college education and get a "good job" with a big company came from the panic in and after the depression. Before the depression 75 percent of americans were small and medium sized business owners. After the depression, people whom had lost their businesses told the children the "get a good job" method to prosperity because big companies provided 'security' benefits and good retirement packages. Well that is outdated for a couple of reasons. Number 1..There is no such thing as a secure company job in which you can retire from in 40 years anymore. Very few big companies last 40 years and even if they do they will downsize you as soon as it becomes advantageous to get rid of your $100,000 salary so they can hire two graduates to do your job for $35,000 each. Number 2..College educations are very inadequate when it comes to financial stability. All they teach us is how to get a JOB= (Just. Over. Broke). 93 percent of college graduates retire broke i.e. they have to rely on family, friends, social security, or they have to work. In addition these educations are subjective. They choose who to let in..how much it will cost..(because their bottom line is PROFIT..not education) and what to teach. It is possible, if not probable, to get a $200,000 Harvard education for the cost of fines at the public library. Why don't we do that....because we only do what we are told(slave mentallity)...and they told us we have to have a peice of paper in order to succeed! How to succeed in getting a job..yes
    how to succeed in changing your condition of thought, plight of your people, and prospertiy of you and your community..NO.
    Number 3. It is only required that we have formal educations in feilds such as medicine, law, engineering and a few others. To own or operate a business, be a journalist, writer, and many others, do not require a degree. We should model our economic and community growth after the Jews. Less the 50 percent of them go to college...yet they are the most powerful economic culture in america. This is because they teach their children the real value of the dollar...how to make it and use it to effect change..., how to value themselves and their community, and how to educate themselves. Jews save 25 percent of every dollar that they make..at the very least. Blacks spend all that they make plus some they don't so they can keep up with the joneses. That is when we become slaves to our jobs and slaves to our posessions. The bosses tell us what time to get up...what time to eat lunch...what time to go home...and what time to go bed...all by saying you have a job with me and i need you to be here from 9 to 5. We don't have the power to quit because we have amassed so many bills from trying to feed our material cravings that quitting would render us homeless and destitute. The Jews do not live that way because they have used libraries to learn how to be empowered financially and it is not through working a job and buying flashing possessions.

I have much more but this is getting long so I will stop here to get others' thoughts.

2. poeticdelight

poeticdelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    A007

have you been reading Black Lies, White Lies by Tony Brown?

just wondering

i understand the points you are stressing. however, we don't have unity because many of our own people do not respect themselves. it's like Lauryn Hill says, "so many caught and bought you can't list them how you gonna idolize the missing" covering a portion of your thread very well. we sell our souls to satan's throne. what America is facing is more than simply a war between nations and race relations. it is also about a war between the haves and the have nots. therefore, i support Martin Luther King's vision completely regarding our chaotic social disorder. Focus on who truly shares God's vision for mankind.

peace

poeticd

3. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    poeticd--

no I have not been reading Black Lies and white lies but i will now. I agree it is also a war between the haves and the have nots. What I am trying to address is why we continue to be the have nots..and i submit it is not because of the white man nor is it their responsiblity to aide us in our journey.

The problem with focusing on who truly shares God's vision is there will always be disagreement about who does and who doesn't...who is right and who is wrong...who is more Godly than whom. This dissention is part of the reason we are having trouble.
    We have to separate the two. This is not to say that we should neglect our spirtuality because it is a vital part to us being complete, only that we separate the goals of salvation from the goals of economic change.

4. poeticdelight

Ratings:
    +2
    i choose the goals of salvation then

according to the scripture, what is it for a man to gain the whole world but lose his soul?

America was developed on the foundation of capitalism by Europeans who converted gold and other precious metals
    from other continents into currency with the faces of dead
    presidents in the image of white men (visit the Mount Rushmore site and read its history).

After our struggle, i would rather inherit the kingdom
    of GOD before walking a mile in the shoes of the originators of
    this country-two wrongs don't make a right

whomever shares GOD's vision for mankind believes in equality whether your economic status be rich or poor

unfortunately, it's quite rare for a Black man or a White man to become rich in the world without losing sight of GOD's vision in the process

remember the scripture establishes that "you can't worship both GOD and money" in other words make the money but don't let the money make you or dictate your philosophy and value system all for the sake of it

yes, each and every time opportunity for integration presented itself to blacks relative to residing in white neighborhoods whites would always move up to bigger and better but do we really have to move up to bigger and better to dictate that we are as dignified or as good of a person as people who are white and carry that particular mindset

i don't think so people are about different things

and i agree with you as stated, "This dissention is part of the reason we are having trouble."

peace

pd

5. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    poetic--

I agree that we should never worship money. If you refer to my first post, you will see that my emphasis was on community and thinking for ourselves. We should understand the money is not everything. However, it is right next to everything that we hold dear except our spirtuality. Money is not the root to all evil...Ignorance is. We have been so brainwashed that the love money is the root to all evil that we have neglected to educate ourselves about it. All I am saying is become educated...about yourself, about God, about econmics. This education does not have to formal and in many cases shouldn't be formal. Money is simply a tool and unfortunately we have no idea that this tool should be used to help others. To think that money is not important to our lives is to live in denial.

To say we are not capable of dividing our goals between the kingdom of God and the plight of our people while we are here on earth is to say we are one dimensional and I disagree with that.

Dre'

6. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    By the way....do you or don't you think we are still slaves?

7. poeticdelight

Ratings:
    +2
    have you ever done religious research?

"To say we are not capable of dividing our goals between the kingdom of God and the plight of our people while we are here on earth is to say we are one dimensional and I disagree with that"

then let's agree to disagree:

To say our current state of being under the leadership of President Bush who is clearly using the political influence of the state of Texas to run an entire country not to mention the entire world through what some would call his "cowboy" mentality is to say history is not in fact repeating itself under terms of regression which means you are living in denial.

sweetheart, some of our own people are going through an identity crisis. they have to recognize who they are and where they come from first. some i feel choose to ignore their past for fear of what they might find which is nothing but the truth regarding the internal weaknesses within our own community and the strategic planning of the European culture to take advantage of our internal weaknesses. there is no way to move forward and tackle the issues in American politics without first learning about the background of European culture and not to mention your own background. the very people Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice is supporting is holding them down, yet they are so blind in their own mind (ignorant as you say) they don't even see themselves

i want you to read the history of Queen Mary (a.k.a Bloody Mary) of the Catholic Church versus the Protestants. the setting of this story takes place in England located in EUROPE. Remember what I said about European culture and how easily we have been influenced under the foundation of this capitalistic system. well, that's not the only thing. we have also been influenced by European culture relative to their religion. Bush is not of anything other than European descent. based on the merits of history and the foundation for which America was established regarding European Law, how is it possible for you to think otherwise?

i wish we weren't as one dimensional as our ancestors but history is clearly repeating itself

sorry :(

peace

pd

:heart:

8. poeticdelight

Ratings:
    +2
    "By the way....do you or don't you think we are still slaves?"

that's a good question, hopefully, after i have done further research and read many of these books i just ordered.

i'll be able to answer your question.

my brother got me a gift certificate for amazon.com

i didn't enjoy reading before but i'm reading everything i can possibly get my hands on thanks to president Bush at least something positive came out of his presidency :lol:

peace

poeticd

:)

9. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    Great replies...Thanks

Poetic--

First let me say that i do not agree to disagree with you because we have yet to disagree on anything other than whether or not the white(or european) race is keeping us down.

I agree that history is repeating itself. I agree that Bush is a cowboy president. I agree that many of our people are going through identity crises. I agree that it is better to gain the kingdom of God rather than the riches of the earth.

All I am saying is that we still think like slaves. That was the point of the post. We still don't think for ourselves. We either identify with white america and try to follow their paths to success while abandoning our own people or we don't choose a path of success at all. Included in success is personal growth, spiritual growth, economic growth, good health, and community involvement. All of these things can take place if we change our way of thinking....mainly that the only way to an education is formal. In short....WE NEED TO LEARN AND THINK FOR OURSELVES AS A RACE.

by the way...how did we get on politics? :)

10. poeticdelight

Ratings:
    +2
    religion and govt policy making

is definitely a touchy subject...

i think Americans irregardless of their ethnic backgrounds or religion needs to get down and pray to GOD for change to set all of us who are facing repression free.

when you say there is a need for us to separate religion from the discussion of economics which is a major BRANCH OF POLITICS(to answer your question on how we got on that discussion) that's where I feel we agree to disagree.

b/c the scriptures establishes that "not any nation that has been built on the backs of slaves shall prosper". you think GOD can't bail the repressed out of our sticky economic situation of hard labor for little to nothing in wages. Man please! :lol:

i'm sure you'll enjoy Tony Brown's book b/c he also believes that "we need to learn and think for ourselves". however, i seek not that of my own understanding but for the lord to lead and guide me. tell me one person on the face of this earth who has all the answers. you couldn't name one every leader who has achieved greatness has sought out guidance from the lord to make decisions in positions of leadership. you can't tell me the lord hasn't done great things for you.

keep praying :)

peace

pd

:heart: