Black People : Are We In The States Of Nigerian/Igbo And Yoruba Ancestry

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Chinelo, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,633
    I've done some research within the past on this, but never finalized it, and i would like to get some knowledge and info from you brothers and sisters on here, who are more sharp on the genetic front about afrikan american ancestral descented ties to the igbo/nigeria and yoruba. :fyi:

I found this little summary, i found interestting, and makes me want to do some more deep research:

Igbo Americans, or Americans of Igbo ancestry, (Igbo: Igbo nke Amerika) are citizens of the United States who can claim whole or significant ancestry from the Igbo people of southeastern Nigeria. The vast majority of Igbo Americans have arrived in America by force through the Atlantic slave trade. Many African Americans of significant Igbo ancestry do not know that they have this ancestry. The Igbo were one of the common ethnic groups found amongst enslaved Africans in the United States. Another way the Igbo have arrived in America is through migration, one of the reasons being Nigeria's poor infrastructure and the effects of the Nigerian-Biafran War.
    In the United States Igbo slaves were usually referred to as Ibo or Ebo (sometimes spelled Eboe), a corruption of their native name. Some Igbo slaves were also referred to as 'bites', denoting their Bight of Biafra origin, and their name were sometimes given to them denoting their origin such as Bonna for a slave that arrived through Bonny. Their presence in the United States was met with mixed feelings by American plantation owners. Till today there is a very small amount of African Americans with 'Ebo' as their surname.

2. Chinelo

Ratings:
    +1,633
  3. Chinelo

Ratings:
    +1,633
    And my picking "Chinelo" as my screen name, has got to be some ancestral divinity tie to our people, as it seems like i was led to that name involuntarily when i chose it.

Chinelo's Igbo meaning i found here:

http://www.codewit.com/nigeria/popular-igbo-names-and-their-meaning.html

This is really interesting and makes me think something else is deep at play....wow!

Could i have been led to this name, because i seriously chose this name involuntarily.......:SuN013:

4. Chinelo

Ratings:
    +1,633
    I also have come across studies which directly link our language ties to the igbo, such as the pronounciations of how we use certain wordings, and ways in which we say them even while being poisoned with this english crush on our original language.

Such as this i found:

"ama"= It's historically a common things for us African-Americans to say things like "Ama beat your backside, or "Ama grown backside women/man", and in the south you hear it much, much more than in the north. But most do not know that this term is not just simply a corruption of the English language in regard to "I am" but rather one in which was passed down through our history and derived from our Igbo ancestors. Ama means "I am" in many forms of the Igbo language, and has been one of the words in which we African-Americans have contentiously helled on to. :

"Red-bone/yellow-bone"= As many of you may know, we African-Americans love to refer to a black person who is fair skinned as being a red-bone. Though what many do not know is that, this term was derived as a term to signify a particular type of black person amongst us African-Americans and that was our high number of fair skinned Igbo female ancestors.

The original term used was Redbo, and it pointed to often light and reddish flushed skin tone. In time as we became more unified/amalgamated as a people, our mindset upon the distinction changed to simply meaning black female who is fair skinned and not necessarily just one of Igbo descent, then again to just any person male or female who is fair skinned; the term changed as well to its common Red-bone. In the Caribbean there is a comparable term that they used in which is simply "Red-Ibo".

"Okra"= The Okra vegetable was introduced to the us by our Igbo ancestors, and the original Igbo word for it is still in use till this day.

5. e-forty

e-forty Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    igbos were prominent in virginia, but the bulk of african americans have ancestry in the senegambia rice growing communities

6. Ezinne

Ezinne Well-Known Member MEMBER

writer, filmmaker
    Ratings:
    +314
  7. Chinelo

Ratings:
    +1,633
    Thanks sis,i will look at those, and my parents are both afrikan born in america sister, but this shows that our great ancestral parents were igbo/nigerian descended, but thats precisely what i'm getting at about the divine connection in that point, i involuntarily chose that name, which leads me to believe, that this is a connection to my people, and then further studying then goes to show that the majority of afrikans in america, are of igbo/nigerian and or yoruba descent!

8. Chinelo

Ratings:
    +1,633
    Sister Ezinne I truly love the blog on the introduction to odinani you presented to me, if i may, i would like to post it here in this comment.

9. Ezinne

Ezinne Well-Known Member MEMBER

writer, filmmaker
    Ratings:
    +314
    Chinelo,

I will ask my friend. It is his blog.

Peace.

10. Chinelo

Ratings:
    +1,633
    Oh my apologies, then i will go and edit it off my comment until the brother approves.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. yoruba slaves of the USA

2. Igbo Majority US

3. why does igbo look like black Americans