Black People : Are we ignoring our most pressing issues? If so, Why?

Are we on a path to solve our most pressing issues within a reasonable amount of time?

• Yes, we are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Our most pressing issues are not those listed in the OP, they are merely symptoms.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Full Speed

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 7, 2009
I "get it" that knowledge of self is important, but if you don't do something productive with that knowledge, what have you really accomplished? As I scroll down the list of thread titles within this forum, it seems to me that the issues that are most pressing within our community are noticably absent and in cases where those issues are raised, there seem to be no positive, constructive goals, solutions, or plans.

Some of the issues that IMO are pressing for our community would be:
Unemployment rate
Incarceration rate
High School Drop-out Rate
Fatherless homes
Spread of STD's
Murder/violence

Why is there no real attention given to these issues? When I say attention, I mean a focused effort to quantify and reduce the negative statistics. Does everyone agree that we have a problem in each of these areas?

What specific actions can we as individuals and we as a community take to reduce the unemployment rate, the incarceration rate, the drop-out rate, the rate of fatherless homes, etc.?

I "get it" that knowledge of self is important, but if you don't do something productive with that knowledge, what have you really accomplished? As I scroll down the list of thread titles within this forum, it seems to me that the issues that are most pressing within our community are noticably absent and in cases where those issues are raised, there seem to be no positive, constructive goals, solutions, or plans.

Some of the issues that IMO are pressing for our community would be:
Unemployment rate
Incarceration rate
High School Drop-out Rate
Fatherless homes
Spread of STD's
Murder/violence

Why is there no real attention given to these issues? When I say attention, I mean a focused effort to quantify and reduce the negative statistics. Does everyone agree that we have a problem in each of these areas?

What specific actions can we as individuals and we as a community take to reduce the unemployment rate, the incarceration rate, the drop-out rate, the rate of fatherless homes, etc.?

Brother, I will try this but I will not engage in a circular argument. As an Elder in my immediate circle, the main issue facing me every day is one of personal health and wellness maintenance. Self knowledge in this respect involves knowing what contributes to and what takes away from my health and wealth. This has become my priority in order to increase my life expectancy.

As an educator my concern includes providing assistance to students in order to improve their academic success but if my body and mind are not healthy I do not perform duties as an educator at the level required to insure my students achieve academic excellence.

These two things consume a great deal of my time. They form a culture, a way of life.

What more do you expect of me with my time, as the remainder of my time includes interaction with family?

By reasonable amount of time, I mean within the next generation or two. Within the next two generations will we have made progress in these forementioned areas if we continue on the path we are currenly on? What do you base your answer on?

Brother you know your own arguments here so each issue you have identified require a higher degree of self knowledge which for me is not abstract but involves bringing into order the chaos and imbalance within one's life and sphere of influence. This involves greater knowledge of one's social responsibility and need for conscious action as opposed to disorganized and spontaneous reaction.

Brother, I will try this but I will not engage in a circular argument. As an Elder in my immediate circle, the main issue facing me every day is one of personal health and wellness maintenance. Self knowledge in this respect involves knowing what contributes to and what takes away from my health and wealth. This has become my priority in order to increase my life expectancy.

As an educator my concern includes providing assistance to students in order to improve their academic success but if my body and mind are not healthy I do not perform duties as an educator at the level required to insure my students achieve academic excellence.

These two things consume a great deal of my time. They form a culture, a way of life.

What more do you expect of me with my time, as the remainder of my time includes interaction with family?

Thanks brother for your response. First, the intent of this thread is certainly not to engage in any type of argument, circular or otherwise. The intent is simply to ask rather we are addressing the issues that "contributes to" or "take away from" our future as a people group. As the old saying goes, "if we keep doing what we are doing, we will keep getting what we are getting."

You are focusing on academic excellence. This is powerful, and as it relates to rather it contributes to or takes away from our future, IMO I beleive it is one of the biggest contributers to our future uplift as a people group. I appreciate what you do. I believe that the academic excellence and the pursuit thereof will contribute to the reduction of all other problem areas that I previously mentioned. I don't, however, believe that there is enough focus on improving our academic success. A scroll down the thread titles within this forum displays very little if anything that would contribute to encouraging the pursuit of academic excellence.

So, my point is not about any particular individual. Again, your work as an educator is a valued and much needed service. But, I would like to see a collective appreciation and march towards academic excellence. The thread titles within this forum demonstrates the things that we collectively place value on and rather or not we are addressing any specific problem. I don't see a lot that would indicate that we, collectively, are encouraging academic excellence within our community.

So, what more do I expect of you? The same thing I expect of myself? To spend our time encouraging a collective embracement of those things which will contribute to our collective health and wealth. You are an educator. You could start threads which speak to the need of academic excellence within our community and encouraging the pursuit thereof. I am a commercial pilot and auto repair shop owner. I could speak to the need and encourage the pursuit of careers and entrepreneurship. With everyone focusing on encouraging those things that will "contribute to" our collective health and wealth and that of our future generations, this will form a "culture, a way of life" that will ensure that one or two generations from now, we a in a better place than we are today.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back