Black People Politics : Are we color struck?

As supremebeing said, she is African, not African-American. I listened to that controversial 1970's video someone posted by Louis Farrakhan, saying we were not the same black people who came over during the middle passage. He went on to say that we have evolved, however we are still Africans. There was something else he said in that video that was even more controversial. I agree that some of what he said in that video could have been said in better words, but I do see the point he was trying to make.

I personally believe a lot of people have just as big of issue with the broad nose and full lips, however we disguise much of it as dark-skinned shame. For example Lupita Nyong'o reminds me in some ways of a modern day Cycely Tyson...who I feel was much more talented in her day. We loved Cycely Tyson for her glowing personality, similar to the way they love Lupita's personality. However, I think most people would give Liputa the edge in looks because Cicely had a broader nose than Lupita. I think Lupita did another thing that helped get her voted most beautiful, but I'm not going to go there.

I don't think it was his aim to speak for all light-skinned African-American people. But I agree that he prolly caught more breaks than his dark-skinned brother because he was light. See my first post for the reasons why.

I thought as much. And your experience reminds me of one of my light-skinned sisters' experience (she had ONE; my dark-skinned sister had many.....). She was 12 years old and at a dark-skinned friend's house and her friend's equally dark mother pulled her aside and told her than she would never get a b/f, that boys didn't like light-skinned girls. My sister ran out into the yard, crying, and rubbed dirt all over her face, trying to become dark.

And that's the diff: light-skinned people experience "hurts" as opposed to dark-skinned people receiving TIDAL WAVES of pain and rejection. We ARE judged by our looks (higher pay, etc.?) and the darker our skins, the harsher the judgment. Especially by black people.

I agree that all sides should be discussed.... honestly.

Your little "story" is a lie.

As supremebeing said, she is African, not African-American.

Oh, my bad. Only in the motherland do dark-skinned people get to feel Lupita's TIDAL WAVES of pain and rejection. Her experience is certainly not relevant to the dark-skinned African-American's. Gotcha! ;)

I listened to that controversial 1970's video someone posted by Louis Farrakhan, saying we were not the same black people who came over during the middle passage. He went on to say that we have evolved, however we are still Africans. There was something else he said in that video that was even more controversial. I agree that some of what he said in that video could have been said in better words, but I do see the point he was trying to make.
I have no idea what video you speak of. Or it's relevance to the Topic. :10500:
I personally believe a lot of people have just as big of issue with the broad nose and full lips, however we disguise much of it as dark-skinned shame.

Your truth. No dark-skinned person's.

For example Lupita Nyong'o reminds me in some ways of a modern day Cycely Tyson...who I feel was much more talented in her day. We loved Cycely Tyson for her glowing personality, similar to the way they love Lupita's personality. However, I think most people would give Liputa the edge in looks because Cicely had a broader nose than Lupita. I think Lupita did another thing that helped get her voted most beautiful, but I'm not going to go there.

Please don't. And from the quoted passage, I see why you and your dark- skinned brother never "shared" your feelings on the societal effects of skin color.[/quote]

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back