Black People : Are we brown or black???

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by peopleofcolor, Jun 13, 2005.

1. peopleofcolor

peopleofcolor Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I was just looking up the defination of brown and black and this is what i found...

Brown means...

The term applied to a copper coin that no longer has the red color of copper. There are many "shades" of brown color -- mahogany, chocolate, of a color similar to that of wood or earth. Of a dark color, of various shades between black and red or yellow, a tawny, dusky hue. A brown-skinned person. To become brown, to make brown, to cook until brown. Often Offensive, of or being a person of nonwhite origin. The color of coffee; noun brown colour, pigment, or material. To be roasted, deceived, taken in.

We all know what black means "in the euro dictionary it basically means everything evil, crooked, wicked, dirty, ect, then also includes us people of african decent.

What are we brown or black Which one best describes us as a whole?

I'v never really met someone really black maybe dark dark brown but not black and by the way look up black in the dictionary...

Soiled, as from soot; dirty: feet black from playing outdoors. Cheerless and depressing; gloomy: black thoughts. Marked by anger or sullenness. Attended with disaster; calamitous: a black day; the stock market crash on Black Friday. Being or characterized by morbid or grimly satiric humor. Connected with or invoking the supernatural and especially the devil. Thoroughly sinister or evil : WICKED!!!

The word black is a english word anyway you cut it and means what the people from england wanted it to mean anit no changing it, the word moor is what we were called b4 black and negro... The word MOOR evolved from the Greek 'Mauros' which just simply means DARK. Moor doesn't have a harsh meaning sh*t the moors conquered back parts of africa and the middle east from the romans, greeks and europeans who ruled over them. The moors weren't all muslim either or arab like people think, moors were all dark skinned people from africa, india, the middle east, south east asia who all got together and fought the oppressive roman, greek and european regimes. If you were dark no matter were you came from you were label'd moor aka dark, non-white.

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Interesting topic and info.

However, I have seen a "black" person....really black.

As a People, no we are not "black" but some of us are.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Wow! You got me on this one sister cherry, you said what you've said that I cannot deny, Like peopleofcolor, I've just never laid eyes on a Black, really Black person in my life, very, very dark, even what they call blue black; but never, never have I laid my eyes on a jet black person.

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, Bro. Clyde, you took the words right outta my mouth. I almost said "blue Black" when I posted.

However, what's the difference between "jet black" and "blue black?" When it comes to "skin color," would you describe a "blue black" person as "dark brown?"

For the purpose of this thread topic, I stipulated that "we, as a People, are not 'Black" but that I have seen a really "black"-skinned person before.

I've known some people who had what's called a "flat" black skin color and some others whose skin had a "sheen" to it. But, their skin color was still "Black."----not dark brown, BLACK.

So, I'm not getting how you are differentiating between a "blue black" person-of-color and a "JET black" person-of-color. :?:

5. KMTSista

KMTSista Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +259
    Maybe perhaps the problem is we need to stop reading the white man's language and definitions. All of this stuff comes from Latin and Greek

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

sister cherryblossom,

I'm glad you didn't say or use blue black in lieu of a "black" person....really black. In my mind the difference between a jet black and a blue black person would be the color blue, whereas in jet black, there is no blue hue, at all. Also, for me, to say a black person or really black is tantamount to saying jet black.

And yes I would describe a "blue black" person as "dark brown,"
    and depending on just how much dark brown, which is to say, equatorial affects, I would say very, even very, very dark brown; in fact, you could even say, almost black, but I would never say black, fully black or jet black due mainly to me never having laid eyes on a black...really black person, such as yourself.

Yes, I got your stipulation to which point I made no argument, only that you got me with having seen a black person.

For me, the differentiation is use of the term blue, itself. If there is blue involved, then its not and should not be considered jet black or fully black or for that matter, flat black (which implies no other color noticeable), I could be wrong, however.

Now, as far as I know, which is very little, the darkest people on earth would be considered, Blue Black in color. Are there any darker people on earth than Blule Blacks?

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

KMTSista,

Couldn't agree with you more, Greek and Latin influences are widespread; but nevertheless, in this case, we are on the topic of what we physically see, with our own eyes and can discern colors and such.

Have you ever seen a black person, the color of black, as you know the color to be?

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    On many levels, Sister, I will agree that we should not classify or define ourselves by European standards and definitions.

Your very screen name is a testament to how the White man took the word "black" and attached negative connotative and denotative meanings to it.

However, not all of the "Latin and Greek" etymologies, suggest "black" in a negative light....Even scientifically, BLACK is the presence of all color and WHITE is the ABSENCE of color.

And in finance, to be "in the Black" denotes profit..."in the red" is in debt.

Personally, I don't have a problem with labeling myself as "Black."

IMO, we need to reclaim our BLACKness and return to the days of "Black is Beautiful" and "Black Power!" and "Gimme Five on the BLACK-hand side!"

9. KMTSista

KMTSista Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +259

But who instructed US what our eyes are seeing and who defined color? What is black what is brown, green red yellow?

We can't even say because this is not our original language.

This is the thinkin that we have to collectively get away from because it alls stems from the paper bag theory and slavory from words we weren't even allowed to read, but they defined you as this, so this is what our eyes are seeing?

So to continue to study their language continues the mind program.

Instead we need to have a topic to help each other learn Twi, Swahili and other African languages.

I could care less what the white man's dictionary says.

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Sister KMT Sista,

Please, do not give the so-called white man, technically...pink man, too much credit, my sister friend; who invented writing, story telling, science and many of the fundamental learning centers.

Are you forgetting who stole our Legacy? Who's claiming to be the original people? Do our ancestors get no credit, not even for inventing our current coloring system...God forbid?

Again I ask, cause you definitely didn't answer me, have you ever seen a black person the color of black?