Black History Culture : Are We Ashamed of our Blackness - Africa: Where black is not really beautiful

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by dunwiddat, Jan 1, 2013.

1. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Isn't black beautiful?

Africa: Where black is not really beautiful

By Pumza Fihlani
    BBC News, Johannesburg

South Africa is marketed to the world as Mandela's rainbow nation, where everyone is proud of their race and heritage. But for some black South Africans there is such a thing as being too black.

A recent study by the University of Cape Town suggests that one woman in three in South Africa bleaches her skin. The reasons for this are as varied as the cultures in this country but most people say they use skin-lighteners because they want "white skin".
    Click Here to Read Entire Article

2. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    as i glanced at the title of your thread, i was hit with a touch of anger that one would think that any of "us" would be ashamed of our blackness. yet, reading the article, it made me think of the devisive views of blackness within the black community--the rivalry between some dark-skinned blacks and some light-skinned blacks. it was especially bad in the new orleans area for a long time. however, bleaching one's skin doesn't make one a better looking person, physically. being a dark-skinned brutha, and proud of it:), i've never had a desire to be anyone but who i am...or any other way that i am. I AM IN NO WAY ASHAME OF MY BLACKNESS. but i do acknowledge that there are those, even young girls, who struggle with it. i don't know why that is...but we need to get to the root of that problem...especially where our young ones are concerned.

*pondering*

3. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    however, bleaching one's skin doesn't make one a better looking person,:wave:

There is a discussion on the BBC concerning this same article. I am a black woman and never had felt uneasy with my colour. Not only is this a negative type of behaviour, but the damage that is being done to the skin. Imagine 1 out of every 3 women in South Africa use bleaching cream...that is a staggering statistic. 77% of Nigerians, more than three quarters of Nigerians use these creams on a regular basis..All I can do is SMH. The sad part is the people making the money from the sales of these creams are from Europe..Go figure.:( People need to emancipate their minds from mental slavery....having a mindset that white IS BETTER...so sad. I agree with you that the young ones need to be educated.

4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    I'm not ashamed

"...Say it LOUD!!!!..."

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    [​IMG]

6. spiritual eyes46

spiritual eyes46 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +59
    yes black is beautiful for we come in all different shades ,what makes it very ugly is the inside of the person, when one thinks they are better than another because they may be a shade or two lighter, something that has been past from generation to generation which caused severe division,the thuth of the matter is we are all one and that is the human race,but more and more we fail to see this it's all about who look better,who is darker,who is lighter oh no gurl i don't want no dark children or a black man, and yes black is beautiful if one can start respecting each other, i would say treat one how you treat yourself,but due to low self-esteem,anger,hate how can you respeect another if you don't respect yoursel......black was and is beautiful and can remain beautiful if people just get it together.....but i doubt it it's been before my time and the racial war is still going on how sad...

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Care to answer your own question?

<info shrugs at yet another racially motivated thread to put down black people by the op>

8. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Black is beautiful but black isn't power..Knowledge is Power....

what is our job when we are surrounded by people who isn't trained to accept their individualism?

9. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    I would not even dignify your comments with a response. :(

10. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    You don't have too because it is what it is....

It's not a violation or anything, but it is all you do which is interesting! To me, anyway...

Rock on!